Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

On 10/13/2016 at 6:05 PM, Scoopbth said:

I noticed recently that on all the traffic lights uptown the pedestrian lights turn green first for about 5 seconds before the light for the cars turns green.  This is great!

Its exactly 3 seconds. It's known in the signal timing world as a "Lead Pedestrian Interval" - the City has a few of these around town and is testing it uptown on several corridors. There will be a more official announcement from the City at some point after the bugs are worked out.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Spartan said:

Its exactly 3 seconds. It's known in the signal timing world as a "Lead Pedestrian Interval" - the City has a few of these around town and is testing it uptown on several corridors. There will be a more official announcement from the City at some point after the bugs are worked out.

This needs to be done in Plaza Midwood! I almost get killed (along with many others) once a week crossing Central and no one is doing anything about it.

On 10/13/2016 at 6:05 PM, Scoopbth said:

I noticed recently that on all the traffic lights uptown the pedestrian lights turn green first for about 5 seconds before the light for the cars turns green.  This is great!

My kids recently discovered that some of the pedestrian cross buttons say "Wait! Wait! Wait!" when you press them repeatedly, and also that the "Wait!" voice is pretty similar to my voice. This is a source of endless amusement for my kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vitamin_N said:

My kids recently discovered that some of the pedestrian cross buttons say "Wait! Wait! Wait!" when you press them repeatedly, and also that the "Wait!" voice is pretty similar to my voice. This is a source of endless amusement for my kids.

I'm now reading your posts in that voice.

• Like 3

20161023_151148.mp4

Open Streets today was excellent. It ran from Wesley Heights, through Third Ward, down to South End.

Here's a link to a live Fb video I took of part if the Wesley Heights end of the route.

And here's one I took on Mint St from BB&T Ballpark to Panthers Stadium (wish I could have ended it on the panther statues :ph34r: )

20161023_151148.mp4

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3

I honestly can't remember where we've been talking about the 400 s Tryon retail/first floor of parking deck renovations and searching is terrible on mobile so here is where this goes. 

Plans were approved for the renovation. It's basically just going to all be glass. I know many will complain but I really like it. It makes the space completely open to the passer by's and the additions of the garage doors, patio seating and improvements to the sidewalk (better cuts, pavers, improved tree wells) all bring this together nicely. Another great addition to Third Ward and the improving PED scape on S Church

note: I know this isn't the best pic  RDF can you lend an assist?

IMG_3768.PNG

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 3

Somewhat minor, but maybe with bigger implications:

NCRR just sold the ground underneath 300 S Brevard to the building owners (that purchased it and are currently renovating it).  Sort of "who cares", as far as that property goes, BUT, it is a strong sign that maybe NCRR will be willing to sell their portion of the block bound by LRT, 3rd, 4th, and Brevard.  Norfolk & Southern listed that prime block, but part of their land is just leased from NCRR....if NCRR is willing to sell their share, that would make it much easier for N&S to sell for a major project.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jayvee said:

I honestly can't remember where we've been talking about the 400 s Tryon retail/first floor of parking deck renovations and searching is terrible on mobile so here is where this goes. 

Plans were approved for the renovation. It's basically just going to all be glass. I know many will complain but I really like it. It makes the space completely open to the passer by's and the additions of the garage doors, patio seating and improvements to the sidewalk (better cuts, pavers, improved tree wells) all bring this together nicely. Another great addition to Third Ward and the improving PED scape on S Church

note: I know this isn't the best pic  RDF can you lend an assist?

IMG_3768.PNG

Is it just the first floor or are they going to attach a façade over the upper portions too?

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

Is it just the first floor or are they going to attach a façade over the upper portions too?

Just the first floor. They're gonna power wash it I'm sure but there's future plans for the garage facade. Kinda going in phases, building upgrades went first, now this ground floor, etc. 

• Like 1

Cushman and Wakefield is out with their 3rd quarter office market report. One note in there is that Bank of America is forcing out 14 floors of tenants in the Bank of the America corporate center over the next 2 years and this should help all towers under construction or planned (300 South Tryon, 615 South College, Tryon Place, Lincoln Harris Observer tower)  BofA is retreating to their company owned buildings and this will cause a shuffle of tenants around uptown and many will chose likewise double A buildings like the new ones underway or planned. http://www.cushmanwakefield.us/en/research-and-insight/unitedstates/charlotte-office-snapshot/   

• Like 3

Sorry to keep harping on this, but the new BoA lighting scheme has ruined the building at night. Pelli specifically wanted each terrace to be illuminated at night. The lighting plan won architectural lighting awards in 1993.
If the current "crown only" design is the final product, they've ruined a once beautiful nighttime icon. 

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree also.  The lighting on each level of BofA HQ with the setbacks gave the building character and emphasized the design at night.  I hope the project is not complete!

Speaking of building lighting, I thought the Catalyst had a great rooftop lighting system at night when it was first built.  It does not seem to be lit at night now at all.

Does anyone know who to inquire with about the rooftop lighting?

Here's another look at the 400 S Tryon garage renovations. Keep in mind this is obviously a drawing for plans and not a glossy rendering. Also the tenants will have final say on what they want to do with their space so it's subject to change. I like it and it's obviously MUCHHH better than what is there now. They have 2 great tenants and hopefully we hear about the 3rd soon. 

IMG_4002.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Here's another look at the 400 S Tryon garage renovations. Keep in mind this is obviously a drawing for plans and not a glossy rendering. Also the tenants will have final say on what they want to do with their space so it's subject to change. I like it and it's obviously MUCHHH better than what is there now. They have 2 great tenants and hopefully we hear about the 3rd soon. 

IMG_4002.PNG

This is definitely better than what's currently there. People don't realize how much sidewalk shops and restaurants really open up the street to pedestrians. Yes, the sidewalk on that side is walkable, but most people choose to walk on the Mellow Mushroom side for the very reason that there's more to see on that side.