Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

1 minute ago, kermit said:

Global economic competitiveness is all about efficiency. If the US is locked in to the most energy inefficient mode of transportation (single occupant automobiles and truck freight) then we are doomed to failure  -- there are very few commodities that are only available in the US. The global competitiveness of the US hinges entirely upon our low cost producer status, if we can't reduce costs then we are doomed in global markets to be the next high cost producer (like the EU 15 years ago).

In the context of global competition do you really want to hang onto heavily subsidized road transportaion? 

So you would prefer heavily subsidized rail/air/sea transportation? 

To be effective an economy must utilize all modes of transportation, and governments are going to subsidies all modes of transportation as they do now.  Efficiency does not come down to just modes of transportation.  Look at Toyota when they started making vehicles in the US, reliability dropped, you have to look at cost of employment, U.S. auto makers, the entitlement that US citizens feel they have a right to. 

Additionally, with an mode other than road, you will always have the "last mile" problem.

10 hours ago, Popsickle said:

So you would prefer heavily subsidized rail/air/sea transportation? 

You have presented a fallacy. Other than rual passenger air transport these modes are unsubsidised (freight by rail and sea) or recieve less subsidy than road transport.

Global competitiveness is totally unconcerned with mode, only cost. So in the long run transport subsidies are merely temporary distractions.  Newtonian physics will dictate where the most competitive economies are in a global economic system.

Edited by kermit

CTL(like many major airports) is owned by the city and receives tax money, how is that not a subsidy?

If global economies only worry about cost then they will tend to the cheapest, yes? And if that cheapest mode is subsidized, how do subsidies not matter in the long run? 

Newtonian physics...Really, science much?

Just Google it

Edited by Popsickle
Newton

10 hours ago, Popsickle said:

CTL(like many major airports) is owned by the city and receives tax money, how is that not a subsidy?

If global economies only worry about cost then they will tend to the cheapest, yes? And if that cheapest mode is subsidized, how do subsidies not matter in the long run? 

Newtonian physics...Really, science much?

CLT is entirely financed by user fees and it generates a significant surplus. Please look into the reasons why the state tried to steal the airport last year to appreciate that.

do you really think taxpayer subsidies are inexhaustible?

Are you rejecting science? 

Edited by kermit

6 minutes ago, kermit said:

CLT is entirely financed by user fees. Please look into the reasons why the state tried to steal the airport last year to appreciate that.

do you really think taxpayer subsidies are inexhaustible?

Are you rejecting science? 

I am the one who originally objected to taxing people more because of where they lived, if you recall, the genesis of our debate, the taxpayer is already paying more into the system than they will receive back in form of service. 

No, I would never reject science, I am just informing you that Newtonian physics breakdown and new laws more accurately define the phenomenon.  

24 minutes ago, Popsickle said:

I am the one who originally objected to taxing people more because of where they lived, if you recall, the genesis of our debate, the taxpayer is already paying more into the system than they will receive back in form of service. 

No, I would never reject science, I am just informing you that Newtonian physics breakdown and new laws more accurately define the phenomenon.  

And I am the one who suggested we tax peope based on how much they owe. If you object to that perspective then further argument is pointless, 

your newtonian physicis argument is beyond reason. Can you rephrase? (Hint: KE = MV^2)

Edited by kermit

For all that is holy on this Easter Day, get the f### off this bickering, annoying  tax thing and move on to "project news."  If the three or four of you want to continue, please start a thread somewhere else. Thank you very much and happy Easter. Lets talk "project."

Edited by caterpillar2

4 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

For all that is holy on this Easter Day, get the f### off this bickering, annoying  tax thing and move on to "project news."  If the three or four of you want to continue, please start a thread somewhere else. Thank you very much and happy Easter. Lets talk "project."

Ok, happy Easter and everybody can fudge off as you put it

And @kermit I sent you a pm about Newtonian physics failing. 

Edited by Popsickle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Nice! But what do you mean by raised? Like a speed bump? Or legit OVER the street?? 

the only problem with these raised crosswalks speed tables whatever  you call them is that slows emergency vehicles and with high rises all over and the fire station north on Church I wonder if this is the best solution. Maybe a dedicated crosswalk light would be better for pedestrians. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2017 at 4:10 PM, kermit said:

And I am the one who suggested we tax peope based on how much they owe. If you object to that perspective then further argument is pointless, 

your newtonian physicis argument is beyond reason. Can you rephrase? (Hint: KE = MV^2)

Does this logic apply to everything and everyone or just transportation?  Because many don't pay close to anything at all over many items.... 

Another way to look at this is if people need to pay for how much they owe....do they also have to pay for what they don't use or benefit from?  How much would a ticket on the blue line be if the cost of the blue line was paid for by those who use it?  You're 100% correct that the 'suburban lifestyle' is subsidized by uneven costs for things like roads.  But it's not like similar uneven examples don't exist for urban dwellers.  

I think the important thing to remember and something that you just don't want to accept is that in every community there are going to be things you pay for that you don't use.  But as long as everyone gets a slice of the pie things seem to work out for the better.  

15 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

Does this logic apply to everything and everyone or just transportation?  Because many don't pay close to anything at all over many items.... 

Another way to look at this is if people need to pay for how much they owe....do they also have to pay for what they don't use or benefit from?  How much would a ticket on the blue line be if the cost of the blue line was paid for by those who use it?  You're 100% correct that the 'suburban lifestyle' is subsidized by uneven costs for things like roads.  But it's not like similar uneven examples don't exist for urban dwellers.  

I think the important thing to remember and something that you just don't want to accept is that in every community there are going to be things you pay for that you don't use.  But as long as everyone gets a slice of the pie things seem to work out for the better.  

Please start your own thread elsewhere as your debate has lasted too long on this thread that is aimed at miscellaneous  uptown projects. It stopped for a while, please don't bring it back. I, for one, like to look at the new uptown projects news when I look at this specific thread, not "Newtonian Physics" arguments.  Thank you for any consideration you and "Kermit" give to halting this annoyance on this thread. 

Edited by caterpillar2

2 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

Please start your own thread elsewhere as your debate has lasted too long on this thread that is aimed at miscellaneous  uptown projects. It stopped for a while, please don't bring it back. I, for one, like to look at the new uptown projects news when I look at this specific thread, not "Newtonian Physics" arguments.  Thank you for any consideration you and "Kermit" give to halting this annoyance on this thread. 

Understood.  Was simply reading and commenting on what was there without consideration to a date/time stamp.  Now can see how the conversation is not in line with the thread topic.  

• Like 1

Are there any plans to knock down the Walton Place building on stonewall anytime soon? It seems like a dead space along stonewall and the last remaining block to redevelop on that street bordering the freeway...

Edited by saam14

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

I'm sure it makes sense with the money, but why would they demolish instead of incorporating the current building (with updates of course)?

Its basically Class C office that belongs near Park Road Shopping Center not uptown. I'd much much rather have this. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 5.39.23 PM.png

Edited by Guest