Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Does anyone know if this retail space at the Westin at the Stonewall station? I wonder if this will be converted to retail as this station will get a lot busier with the adjacent 615 Office tower and Stonewall Station Whole Foods development? 

DSCN1552.JPG

As far as I am aware that definitely is not retail. I know there i retail in the Westin itself on the 2nd floor. it is a FedEx Office copy center.

UNCC school of archetecture aparently has a very structured Tactical Urbanism class. It will do some steet murals and crosswalk painting this weekend around UNCC uptown:

http://inside.uncc.edu/news-features/2017-05-02/‘tactical-urbanism’-class-create-street-mural-promote-pedestrian-safety

seems like an oddly formal exercise for 'tactical urbanism' -- how very Charlotte.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, kermit said:

UNCC school of archetecture aparently has a very structured Tactical Urbanism class. It will do some steet murals and crosswalk painting this weekend around UNCC uptown:

http://inside.uncc.edu/news-features/2017-05-02/‘tactical-urbanism’-class-create-street-mural-promote-pedestrian-safety

seems like an oddly formal exercise for 'tactical urbanism' -- how very Charlotte.

I just walked through the 9th/Brevard intersection this morning, it looks really good!

^^^  Also, Empowered Benefits is taking the full 9th floor as well, which is the top of the larger floorplate floors (32k sq ft)....they are relocating from within the building (1.5 floors up near the top), but as far as sq ft, they are nearly doubling I believe.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2017 at 8:00 PM, 11 HouseBZ said:

I watched a recent video about this, thought this would be good for future discussion.

https://youtu.be/qu7cen0VOAA

What are your thoughts? How do we get more murals up? Who do we go to for funds, public and private?

I would love to see a mural on the side of the Omni facing the epicenter.

I would start with the Arts & Science Council and Center City Partners. They have funding and would be connected with the right people to make it happen. 

On 4/25/2017 at 8:53 AM, J-Rob said:

Hornets are swapping the box office and fan store. This was posted in coffee house, but I am posting here for another reason.  How much improved does Uptown have a chance to be by the time the 2019 All-Star game rolls around?  I was extremely disappointed at the loss of the 2017 All-Star game, but with the addition/completion of so many hotels, plus the transformation of Stonewall/Levineland between now and 2019, Charlotte really has an opportunity to be showcased like never before.  As a side note, I really dislike anything Adidas, so having the Hornets arena and apparel completely covered with Jordan branding will be the cherry on top.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/04/24/hornets-merchandise-is-on-the-move-literally.html

I understand the need for the swap, but this is really bad news for retail on Trade Street. I wish that more office space would be constructed along E Trade St to help encourage better retail. activity at the arena.

On 5/4/2017 at 9:06 AM, kermit said:

So it's been more than two and a half years since Charlotte has had a real (non interum) planning director...

Interestingly, they were able to hire a new director for Engineering in four months.

That said, I've heard that interviews for the Planning director are underway. The previous delay was waiting for the new City Manager to be hired.

2 minutes ago, Seabrooke said:

IMG_8244.JPG

Thanks and I knew someone would see it. That maybe why this tower is starting to fill up as some think it is too far north on Tryon believe it or not. Thanks again. For a minute I thought it was driverless but I see a driver. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

Yeah if you don't have enough time to make the walk (which is understandable, some days you just need food ASAP at your desk so you can keep working), just order delivery or bring your lunch from home.

Edited by CLT2014

I think it is a really cool idea and I assume you've heard of handicapped people, rain and hot days in a suit?  More generally I find it Ironic that people who probably drive to work themselves without car sharing and in a huge SUV (CLT demographics not you specifically) would complain about an electric vehicle shuttle being what is wrong with America. If you don't get to the city via public transit I would argue you're a lot more of what is wrong with America than this shuttle.

• Like 1

I know lots of people who sit in Odell who never want to walk towards Corp. And my floor always complains about ever having to go to Odell. At our meeting, this van thing that can take us to "BFE" was the rave. The gym was the rave to and I knew lots of people who kept raving about it. They still have never used the gym. lol.

• Like 1

Well one of the reasons Charlotte started that Gold Line trolley bus was because Gateway Village was perceived to be far from the Square.  This is an electric vehicle so no emissions and I think it is a fantastic idea for a building many think is too far on the edge of Uptown. It is funny because many UPers thought the Lincoln Harris site was way TOO far for Bank of America anchored building when it approx. the same distance.  

In other miscellaneous Uptown news, the Charlotte Visitors authority will be building a new kiosk with food at Wells Fargo Plaza. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article150985852.html

• Like 1