Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

5 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I think it is a really cool idea and I assume you've heard of handicapped people, rain and hot days in a suit?  More generally I find it Ironic that people who probably drive to work themselves without car sharing and in a huge SUV (CLT demographics not you specifically) would complain about an electric vehicle shuttle being what is wrong with America. If you don't get to the city via public transit I would argue you're a lot more of what is wrong with America than this shuttle.

And I assume you've heard of wheelchairs, umbrellas, and shade trees? If someone is on crutches, then sure - in that situation by all means catch a ride. The only time that it's actually unbearable to be outside is immediately after a downpour when the sun comes back out and its 1000% humidity.  

What bothers me is that people are unwilling to walk a few blocks to get to lunch because it's "uncomfortable" out. It's what, 1 block to the nearest restaurant from Odell? And within 3-4 blocks you can get to probably a dozen or more AND 7th Street Station which can take you to South End. It's just not that far. Hell, it's not even uphill! I think that in general it's more about laziness than anything else.

For me personally, I practice what I preach. I walk/bike/bus every day to work and for any other trip where it's practical. If CATS buses didn't have layovers at the CTC I would actually take the bus a lot more for other trips.

55 minutes ago, Spartan said:

And I assume you've heard of wheelchairs, umbrellas, and shade trees? If someone is on crutches, then sure - in that situation by all means catch a ride. The only time that it's actually unbearable to be outside is immediately after a downpour when the sun comes back out and its 1000% humidity.  

What bothers me is that people are unwilling to walk a few blocks to get to lunch because it's "uncomfortable" out. It's what, 1 block to the nearest restaurant from Odell? And within 3-4 blocks you can get to probably a dozen or more AND 7th Street Station which can take you to South End. It's just not that far. Hell, it's not even uphill! I think that in general it's more about laziness than anything else.

For me personally, I practice what I preach. I walk/bike/bus every day to work and for any other trip where it's practical. If CATS buses didn't have layovers at the CTC I would actually take the bus a lot more for other trips.

I'm a big walker myself but if caught in a shower I would jump on. My 87 y/o mom also walks a fair amount (although she is pretty scared crossing the streets here given the total lack of traffic enforcement). I hope you don't mind if she uses a shuttle? ;-) Point is there are lots of reasons to use it and it's green so why complain?

I fantasize it's a nice start to getting people around the city without cars. Now to close Tryon and run electric shuttles up and down it like Denver.

I believe the topic is mostly relative. I live in an area that isn't very walkable according to the walk data citing. However, I don't mind walking 25 minutes and if I do that I can be visit any imaginable amenity anyone could need including bars, many ethnic restaurants, doctor's offices, parks, three major grocery stores,  bus stops, gyms, etc. It depends on how far a person is willing to comfortably walk with the infrastructure (sidewalks) available. 

6 minutes ago, Finkle said:

Some people have medical or physical issues were they can not walk that far, this would give those people more choices in uptown. 

Right, and pedicabs and eventually autonomous small electric carts that can shuttle from the transit stops to main locations like BB&T park etc.. are also all fantastic ideas.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, elrodvt said:

I think it is a really cool idea and I assume you've heard of handicapped people, rain and hot days in a suit?  More generally I find it Ironic that people who probably drive to work themselves without car sharing and in a huge SUV (CLT demographics not you specifically) would complain about an electric vehicle shuttle being what is wrong with America. If you don't get to the city via public transit I would argue you're a lot more of what is wrong with America than this shuttle.

Should never have killed the Tryon route of the Gold Rush busses IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

A brief history of some of uptown's tallest towers from Charlotte Visitors Bureau http://www.charlottesgotalot.com/articles/charlotte-skyscrapers-city-rise   They should have also included a list of rooftop public access areas for viewing too. 

Also a great guide to what historic property was demolished to build each building :-( :-(

23 hours ago, Spartan said:

Does anyone have any news on Fourth Ward Bread Co? Their website finally took their menu and hours off... but I have no idea when that happened.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I don't expect it to happen. There was some movement months ago on the entryway that has since halted. I also haven't seen Jonathan (owner) uptown in more than a year. When he was active, I would see him weekly outside of the bread co.

BB&T Center in Uptown just sold to Arden Real Estate Partners.

There's going to invest 10 million in upgrades to the building.

The REIT that sold it bought it in 2007 and made over 30 million just by sitting on it for 10 years. Talk about a good investment!

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/06/14/bb-t-center-sells-for-148-5m-to-arden-group.html

Protip: if you've reached the three article limit and don't have a subscription, you can just hit escape right as the page is loading to get around the paywall. Pictures usually don't load properly this way but you'll be able to read the article for free.

• Like 3

This tip to access the bizjournal also applies to the Washington Post (most times). Timing of escape maneuver is crucial.

15 hours ago, Nick2 said:

The REIT that sold it bought it in 2007 and made over 30 million just by sitting on it for 10 years. Talk about a good investment!

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/06/14/bb-t-center-sells-for-148-5m-to-arden-group.html

Protip: if you've reached the three article limit and don't have a subscription, you can just hit escape right as the page is loading to get around the paywall. Pictures usually don't load properly this way but you'll be able to read the article for free.

On 6/15/2017 at 8:34 PM, Nick2 said:

$10m sounds like a lot, but is more than likely just a facelift - though admittedly a needed one.

3 hours ago, Spartan said:

$10m sounds like a lot, but is more than likely just a facelift - though admittedly a needed one.

Actually, I can't imagine $10 mil going very far. I was hoping they'd do something with the parking ramp and (my pet peeve) the cold, dank gap in the Overstreet Mall.