Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

The ground floor of the first citizens building is being cleared out (leases terminated). Supposedly the entire floor is getting redone for more high-price restaurant space and who-knows-what. The salon and Jersey Mikes will be relocated, but unfortunately the Boardroom restaurant and convenience store (both of which were run by the most absurdly nice people) have been kicked out. 

• Like 4

The trend of removing lobbies continues, and the Tryon Street restaurant-and-no-retail-except-banks-and-FedEx-for-some-reason district takes another huge step forward!

Anyone want to take a wager on how many years we have to wait before the 300 South Tryon lobby gets converted to usable restaurant space?

13 hours ago, Seabrooke said:

Looks like something is going into the small retail space of the parking deck at w 4th and church

IMG_8735.JPG

IMG_8736.JPG

13 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

Yeah Abbeydale moved into Tryon Plaza.  Now this shop is taking the old space.  Seems to be men's clothing as before.  Interesting little pipeline developing. 

It's House of LeMond, men's clothing boutique. He used to be in Area 15. Easily the best styles you wont find anywhete else, and at the cheapeat prices.. My entire sweater, scarf, belt, and shoe collection have come from him for the last few years.

The owner (I just call him LeMond) is a really great guy. When he's not doing local fashion scene stuff he's working with youths to teach them how to dress well for success.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

It's House of LeMond, men's clothing boutique. He used to be in Area 15. Easily the best styles you wont find anywhete else, and at the cheapeat prices.. My entire sweater, scarf, belt, and shoe collection have come from him for the last few years.

The owner (I just call him LeMond) is a really great guy. When he's not doing local fashion scene stuff he's working with youths to teach them how to dress well for success.

I'm an old soul, and really appreciate and support this kind of thing.  As the oldest in a single-parent household growing up, I know from experience that having men in the community reach out and show compassion, interest, and positivity opens a young man's world bigly.  Hopefully this continues in Charlotte, instead of the wasted energy and focus on perceived past wrongs.

Edited by alb1no panther
  • Like 3

Looking at the BOAT progress in another thread, I wonder how long before High Rise construction jumps over 277?  I know Royal Court is there, but there are many sites that could support a 20+ building.  277 would no longer be the edge of downtown, but merely a road through it.

• Like 3

We're already starting to see high rise proposals outside the loop. 1000 s. Tryon (across from uptown cabaret) was to be 18 or 20 floors, but unfortunately that fell through. I don't think it will be long before we see more planned for that area. With the price per square foot steadily climbing inside 277 the northern end of South end and the gold district will look more and more appealing to developers and relocating/expanding businesses.

• Like 4

On 6/26/2017 at 7:56 PM, tozmervo said:

The ground floor of the first citizens building is being cleared out (leases terminated). Supposedly the entire floor is getting redone for more high-price restaurant space and who-knows-what. The salon and Jersey Mikes will be relocated, but unfortunately the Boardroom restaurant and convenience store (both of which were run by the most absurdly nice people) have been kicked out. 

That is very sad.  Boardroom was a very good spot.

On 7/5/2017 at 10:47 AM, DMann said:

Looking at the BOAT progress in another thread, I wonder how long before High Rise construction jumps over 277?  I know Royal Court is there, but there are many sites that could support a 20+ building.  277 would no longer be the edge of downtown, but merely a road through it.

While there are a few high rises outside of 277 they are all in unique situations that allow them to exist, and there likely won't be very many beyond those barring a significant change in the application of zoning ordinances. The zoning inside of 277 is largely UMUD and doesn't have height restrictions. This zoning district is rare outside of 277. Some notable places outside of uptown with UMUD zoning are Atherton Mill and the Design Center on Camden Rd, W Morehead St between roughly College and Mint, the Arlington. If you'll notice the pattern there... that's where all of the high rises in South End exist or have been recently proposed.

In South End, height levels are based on a "height plane" established through the station area plans. While its true that it hasn't proven to be a hard and fast rule (ie: DFP) it seems unlikely that anyone would be willing to set a precedent of completely ignoring it (ie: seeking or approving a building that is 2x the height plane except in places where there is UMUD zoning.

The x-factor, IMO, is how the City's UDO process (and eventual form-based regulations) will affect everything.

The other question, then, becomes whether or not there is a market to seek rezonings for UMUD and whether city council would support it in these locations. 

I think it's ok, though, because there is still a ton of room inside of 277 for high rises. I would like to see all the empty space filled up there before it spreads too far outside of the loop.

57 minutes ago, Spartan said:

While there are a few high rises outside of 277 they are all in unique situations that allow them to exist, and there likely won't be very many beyond those barring a significant change in the application of zoning ordinances. The zoning inside of 277 is largely UMUD and doesn't have height restrictions. This zoning district is rare outside of 277. Some notable places outside of uptown with UMUD zoning are Atherton Mill and the Design Center on Camden Rd, W Morehead St between roughly College and Mint, the Arlington. If you'll notice the pattern there... that's where all of the high rises in South End exist or have been recently proposed.

In South End, height levels are based on a "height plane" established through the station area plans. While its true that it hasn't proven to be a hard and fast rule (ie: DFP) it seems unlikely that anyone would be willing to set a precedent of completely ignoring it (ie: seeking or approving a building that is 2x the height plane except in places where there is UMUD zoning.

The x-factor, IMO, is how the City's UDO process (and eventual form-based regulations) will affect everything.

The other question, then, becomes whether or not there is a market to seek rezonings for UMUD and whether city council would support it in these locations. 

I think it's ok, though, because there is still a ton of room inside of 277 for high rises. I would like to see all the empty space filled up there before it spreads too far outside of the loop.

Plenty of surface lots uptwon to be developed still, including within a block of light rail stations :(

• Like 1

I consider myself pretty well versed in uptown Charlotte but I have never seen this building before. I think it is part of Linden Thomas office at 516 N Tryon It looks like a residential townhome but think it is used as office but I am not sure. It is next to the Tryon House and the Woodies tire store. (I guess I stay on the "new side" of uptown South Tryon etc too much) Any insight on this building? 

DSCN3144.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I consider myself pretty well versed in uptown Charlotte but I have never seen this building before. I think it is part of Linden Thomas office at 516 N Tryon It looks like a residential townhome but think it is used as office but I am not sure. It is next to the Tryon House and the Woodies tire store. (I guess I stay on the "new side" of uptown South Tryon etc too much) Any insight on this building? 

DSCN3144.JPG

I'm not sure if its still used as such, but when I lived in Tryon House next door about 6-8 years ago, it was a residential townhome on the upper floors, with the TicToc Diner on the 1st floor. They had a little private drive in the back and I would often see the family hanging out back there when I was coming or going.

Which reminds me how much I miss the TicToc diner too, mostly because of the ridiculously friendly British owners.

• Like 1

13 months now since Alvin Austin agreed with me that we need a crosswalk from Latta Arcade across Tryon, and said "Staff lets make this happen before someone gets hurt.".  Angela Berry from CDOT said, at the time, they were current evaluating it.

Anybody have any info on plans, if any?

Edited by grodney

1 hour ago, grodney said:

13 months now since Alvin Austin agreed with me that we need a crosswalk from Latta Arcade across Tryon, and said "Staff lets make this happen before someone gets hurt.".  Angela Berry from CDOT said, at the time, they were current evaluating it.

Anybody have any info on plans, if any?

District 2 Councilman Al Austin would be who you would need to contact.. http://charlottenc.gov/CityCouncil/bios/Pages/AlAustin.aspx

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

District 2 Councilman Al Austin would be who you would need to contact.. http://charlottenc.gov/CityCouncil/bios/Pages/AlAustin.aspx

That was who grodney was referring to.  Also, he is resigning effective July 16 (this Sunday) to take a job with the NCDOT, so I doubt he's interested in dealing with this issue now.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article152828429.html

I have been a reader for some time but this is my first post. So not sure if this is the right topic, but some of the recent posts on our inventory of historical buildings got me curious. Like many on this board, I lament the loss of our urban core. I recently stumbled across this paper (link below) on Charlotte's history of development in the Center City and found it fascinating (and depressing). As far as I can tell, this was written in the early-mid 1980s. What is striking, is how many more historic buildings we lost after this was written. I had always thought the big purge was in the 70s but it continued (unabashedly it would seem) into the 90s. 

http://www.cmhpf.org/kids/neighborhoods/CenterCity.html

A couple of may favorite bits:

Nicknames for the Wards: First Ward = 'Mechanicsville', Second Ward = 'Logtown', for any enterprising entrepreneurs that need some ideas for bar names

[circa 1929] "Trade and Tryon were no longer the only commercial streets. Hundreds of small stores lined College and Church streets all the way from First Street to Sixth... One could walk four or more blocks from the Square in any direction and pass nothing but businesses. The Center City was bustling like no time before or after"

And some examples of what we were still tearing down into the 1990s. Sad.

Lost the F.O. Hawley House where Trade becomes Elizabeth in 1990 for an office building

Lost the Masonic Temple (crap that is beautiful) in 1987. Wachovia tore this one down.

I have been a reader for some time but this is my first post. So not sure if this is the right topic, but some of the recent posts on our inventory of historical buildings got me curious. Like many on this board, I lament the loss of our urban core. I recently stumbled across this paper (link below) on Charlotte's history of development in the Center City and found it fascinating (and depressing). As far as I can tell, this was written in the early-mid 1980s. What is striking, is how many more historic buildings we lost after this was written. I had always thought the big purge was in the 70s but it continued (unabashedly it would seem) into the 90s. 
http://www.cmhpf.org/kids/neighborhoods/CenterCity.html
A couple of may favorite bits:

Nicknames for the Wards: First Ward = 'Mechanicsville', Second Ward = 'Logtown', for any enterprising entrepreneurs that need some ideas for bar names

[circa 1929] "Trade and Tryon were no longer the only commercial streets. Hundreds of small stores lined College and Church streets all the way from First Street to Sixth... One could walk four or more blocks from the Square in any direction and pass nothing but businesses. The Center City was bustling like no time before or after"
And some examples of what we were still tearing down into the 1990s. Sad.
Lost the F.O. Hawley House where Trade becomes Elizabeth in 1990 for an office building

Lost the Masonic Temple (crap that is beautiful) in 1987. Wachovia tore this one down.

People always lament the loss of larger buildings, and people on this board like to quip that Charlotte never had larger buildings. The truth is, to me the most valuable part of the city isn't the towers. It's the Broughton, and King Streets of the world, something Charlotte had 20 or so square blocks of. The line from 1929 is heart breaking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly, if we polled the few posters here who actually live downtown I bet 70+% are totally indifferent or have a negative view of the towers. Of course I think everyone thinks like I do. ;-). I get the feeling of prestige but other than taxes they do nothing for me. Heck, with all the sweetheart deals cut here I don't even know if they pay taxes (note to self, look it up). They're largely devoid of night life, shopping or other things that make a city livable. They're why I cringe over everyone's excitement about the observer redevelopment when we have no idea at all that it will improve the livibility of the city. I for one have 0 faith the planning department is on an urban living mission. Who's looking out for people who live here?

Exactly, if we polled the few posters here who actually live downtown I bet 70+% are totally indifferent or have a negative view of the towers. Of course I think everyone thinks like I do. ;-). I get the feeling of prestige but other than taxes they do nothing for me. Heck, with all the sweetheart deals cut here I don't even know if they pay taxes (note to self, look it up). They're largely devoid of night life, shopping or other things that make a city livable. They're why I cringe over everyone's excitement about the observer redevelopment when we have no idea at all that it will improve the livibility of the city. I for one have 0 faith the planning department is on an urban living mission. Who's looking out for people who live here?

Just wait there's two big things in the works in southend that'll help breath new life into the urban area. Uptown isn't the future, the surrounding neighborhoods are. Even with the splashy names I've seen attached to Lincoln Harris, I'd be excited for Camden, Tremont, South Tryon (in southend) and South Blvd around Atherton. Going to be a new place in 2020.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk