Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

1 minute ago, alb1no panther said:

A "fanboy" of eminent domain? I don't think that word means what you think it means, either. You picked an odd hill to die on. 

Let's recap and move on, shall we ? The practice of eminent domain was defended. I said it was wrong to steal. Response was basically, "We don't say steal. We say expropriate."

Now, back to Uptown news.

9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here is some miscellaneous news Asana buys 600 South College Diehl law firm building http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article161931608.html

They are going to be stripping this thing down to its original brick and restoring it to its former glory. Retail on ground floor, Boutique Office for the rest. 

16 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Nah! Who the heck spends their money on anything but dining out at fancy restaurants every night of the week and drinking $13 cocktails. 

You guys will get your soft goods wishes soon enough, just hold on a couple years. 

I went with my grandfather to this seed store at 600 South College so I am glad it is being restored. 

My guesses on soft goods retailers I would say H&M (which is opening up a store in downtown Nashville which has more tourists less office workers than uptown) and Forever 21.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I went with my grandfather to this seed store at 600 South College so I am glad it is being restored. 

My guesses on soft goods retailers I would say H&M (which is opening up a store in downtown Nashville which has more tourists less office workers than uptown) and Forever 21.  

I don't think it'll be much fast fashion like Forever 21, too young of a demographic. I could see H&M at the anchor space at Atherton, along with an outdoor store like orvis or patagonia, a mens fashion store like JCrew Mens Shop, Urban Outfitters, Gap and Lulemon. I'd look to Broughton Street in Savannah as to the kind of people that'll open on Camden, in Atherton and at Lincoln Harris.

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Mixed use. Next person in Chapel Hill needs to check this out and report back, so we know if we have an in-state example of doing this correctly. https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/07/11/target-chapel-hill-franklin-st-carolina-square.html

I have seen it and I think it looks good (not as good as the rendering, but good). IMO the reason why its a solid project is that the site is owned by the UNC-CH Foundation and they view the site as a new extension of campus so design is done from an institutional context (e.g. 100 year+ lifespan of buildings). The site will be an extension of the campus and it will also contain university office space as well as new dorms on the (eventually) demolished Granville Towers portion of the site.  This longer-term outlook certainly drives the high-quality construction.

Having said all that I am not clear on the nature of the relationship between Northwood Ravin, Cousins and the University.

Edited by kermit

32 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Mixed use. Next person in Chapel Hill needs to check this out and report back, so we know if we have an in-state example of doing this correctly. https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/07/11/target-chapel-hill-franklin-st-carolina-square.html

will be there in a few weeks. Have been by the site It is a fantastic mixed used project with office, apartments and all ground floor retail right on Franklin St   Here is their webpage http://carolinasquarenc.com/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

tgt.png

That is a beautiful building. Reminds me of Post Uptown. Why can't more development be like this?

tgt.png.d10888af77ef52e9df2ce559cf0e6654.png

This is the perfect example of the type of development UNC Charlotte needs to advocate and develop along N Tryon. They actually had something similar to this on their campus vision some years back and it never materialized. I'd love to see this (or something similar) all along the BLE really.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AuLukey said:

This is the perfect example of the type of development UNC Charlotte needs to advocate and develop along N Tryon. They actually had something similar to this on their campus vision some years back and it never materialized. I'd love to see this (or something similar) all along the BLE really.

I'm not seeing what people like about this, the building itself turned out terribly. I'd blame it on Value engineering, but to me, it looks like only about 5% was cut out. 

• Too much EIFS
• Crappy quality brick, which I expected from the renderings
• Weird massing
• Fake Stick on Balconies
• Cheap Windows

5971559f2ee6a_ScreenShot2017-07-20at9_22_26PM.png.c14a04da8edd113ed9c6a4b3f25b7c58.png

In my opinion The Mint Apartments look nicer than this, and thats saying something.

I'm not seeing what people like about this, the building itself turned out terribly. I'd blame it on Value engineering, but to me, it looks like only about 5% was cut out. 

Okay, I agree, I was basing my opinion off of the rendering. And, upon further inspection, I'm not totally thrilled with the project itself. It wouldn't realistically work on the land I had in mind anyway.

My pipe dream for UNCC (I shudder when I use that acronym, but that's another story) would be for retail at ground level and then either campus offices or dorms to be be built over top. I imagine the campus fostering better rates for independent restaurants and retailers to thrive on the ground level (not a big-box Target.). And over top --if not dorms or campus offices-- a small business incubator. The Charlotte Research Institute already has a huge hand in energy sector small businesses, so this would really be a no-brainer.

The land between the current campus and Tryon is pretty narrow there. So I'd be satisfied with buildings that match the current height of the CRI campus; so let's say five-six story if residential. That would most likely mean stick built, but all other buildings on that campus are concrete or steel, so I'd imagine they would stick to that.

If done correctly, having properly developed infrastructure and buildings on this part of campus right next to the BLE station would do wonders for that entire area. The future isn't bleak for UCity, by it's up to the campus to make it happen.

20 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

My pipe dream for UNCC (I shudder when I use that acronym, but that's another story) would be for retail at ground level and then either campus offices or dorms to be be built over top. I imagine the campus fostering better rates for independent restaurants and retailers to thrive on the ground level (not a big-box Target.). And over top --if not dorms or campus offices-- a small business incubator. The Charlotte Research Institute already has a huge hand in energy sector small businesses, so this would really be a no-brainer.

I go to WCU and they actually built a mixed used project a year ago. Retail on the bottom, dorms on top. Its got stuff like a coffee shop and convenience store, both of which are locally owned and operated. It turned out to be a really cool place. If little old Western can do it I don't see why UNC Charlotte couldn't.

• Like 4

Okay, I agree, I was basing my opinion off of the rendering. And, upon further inspection, I'm not totally thrilled with the project itself. It wouldn't realistically work on the land I had in mind anyway.

The land between the current campus and Tryon is pretty narrow there. So I'd be satisfied with buildings that match the current height of the CRI campus; so let's say five-six story if residential. That would most likely mean stick built, but all other buildings on that campus are concrete or steel, so I'd imagine they would stick to that.

If done correctly, having properly developed infrastructure and buildings on this part of campus right next to the BLE station would do wonders for that entire area. The future isn't bleak for UCity, by it's up to the campus to make it happen.

I hated the the rendering too lol. It'd be okay in UNCC but not on a main drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk