Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

49 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Would something like the Kress Emporium in Asheville do this?  It's booths inside rather than store fronts.  I can think of some advantages in areas like property management in having everything under one roof.  

yea, it would be similar and I can see the property management advantages. I would guess that separate store fronts might present advantages as far as visibility, word of mouth (word of network) and street traffic are concerned. Distinct businesses may give the sense that there is more going on. As I said, not an expert, just guessing.

It does appear to me that uptown lacks large spaces for retail (like Kress) and the ones that exist may be more productively rented to reformed bigboxes. Meanwhile uptown had (when I last checked) a crapton of small storefronts sitting vacant.

You could do this with food courts. I've mentioned this before, I think, but in Singapore they have indoor food courts where you can go to any of a few dozen different "booths."

Maxwell-Nate-Robert1.jpg\

It would be a fantastic way for local places to get a start without the overhead of their own restaurant.

• Like 1

It's similar, but the food centers don't have any shops (they're entirely food/drink), and are significantly more barebones. I believe they're publicly owned (as are many buildings in Singapore), but I'm not sure you could call them "subsidized," since the stallholders do pay rents, some high--for example, being next to Tian Tian Chicken Rice, which holds a Michelin bib gourmand, is quite expensive!

Edited by asthasr

1 hour ago, kermit said:

yea, it would be similar and I can see the property management advantages. I would guess that separate store fronts might present advantages as far as visibility, word of mouth (word of network) and street traffic are concerned. Distinct businesses may give the sense that there is more going on. As I said, not an expert, just guessing.

It does appear to me that uptown lacks large spaces for retail (like Kress) and the ones that exist may be more productively rented to reformed bigboxes. Meanwhile uptown had (when I last checked) a crapton of small storefronts sitting vacant.

Hmmm.

I wonder if there could be a combination.  You could have a long street facing building that had multiple large picture windows and a door next to each but they all opened to the same structure.  The layout of something like this, long and skinny, would actually work well in fronting a parking ramp.  Could be an interesting model for ramps all over the place.  No?

1 hour ago, asthasr said:

You could do this with food courts. I've mentioned this before, I think, but in Singapore they have indoor food courts where you can go to any of a few dozen different "booths."

Maxwell-Nate-Robert1.jpg\

It would be a fantastic way for local places to get a start without the overhead of their own restaurant.

I used the love the outdoors one's which I guess are mostly gone now right? Go there at 11 or so for dinner.

5 hours ago, GeauxCLT said:

Isn't the food court thing basically 7th st Market and what will be Thompson Mill? Both great! All in favor of more, especially non-subsidized!

Looks a lot like Latta Arcade, or Grove Arcade in Asheville, except denser with more restaurants.

@ricky_davis_fan_21 proposed this for Charlotte for retail and restaurants but little Wilmington is going all in with Cargo District, a container development right outside of downtown.  If anyone gets down there before I do again take some photos. Plus they are building apartments out of the containers! Check it out

http://www.starnewsonline.com/news/20170727/shipping-containers-to-become-wilmington-apartments

and the webpage https://www.cargodistrict.com/    As I have always said we here in the big city can learn from our smaller neighbors in the Carolinas. 

https://www.wwaytv3.com/2017/07/17/cargo-district-coming-to-port-city/   If Wilmington can do this, surely we can here in Charlotte maybe multiple locations NoDa is perfect for this along with Uptown and SouthEnd. 

• Like 2

from an Observer article on County funding for parks:

Diorio also said the county plans to sell parking lots near Fourth and Graham streets, which would generate about $6.5 million, according to the email.

Is this on our radar? I thought that was part of Gateway station?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article164848582.html

Eli reported today Charter is leasing office space in Arrowpoint.  I'm sure it's just wishful thinking on my part, but hoping that means they are looking to sell their land near the Carson light rail station.  That's a prime spot for redevelopment. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article164816437.html

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kermit said:

from an Observer article on County funding for parks:

Is this on our radar? I thought that was part of Gateway station?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article164848582.html

Could be the one on the southern side of 4th (the one with the diagonal street). That one wasn't part of the parcel for Gateway.

I realize this won't come as a shock, but I'm pretty sure 4th Ward Bread Co is completely dead. They took their sign off of the front of the building, and all of the large equipment that was in there appears to be gone. While that's very sad - I think it's a great opportunity for Good Bottle/CM/Rhino/etc to have an expansion location. 4th Ward lacks a good craft beer bottle shop for locals. It's kind of confounding when you consider that it's probably the wealthiest of the 4 Wards, and yet 3rd and 1st already have bottle shops. If I was looking for a new career, I'd think this would be a pretty low-risk opportunity.

7 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I realize this won't come as a shock, but I'm pretty sure 4th Ward Bread Co is completely dead. They took their sign off of the front of the building, and all of the large equipment that was in there appears to be gone. While that's very sad - I think it's a great opportunity for Good Bottle/CM/Rhino/etc to have an expansion location. 4th Ward lacks a good craft beer bottle shop for locals. It's kind of confounding when you consider that it's probably the wealthiest of the 4 Wards, and yet 3rd and 1st already have bottle shops. If I was looking for a new career, I'd think this would be a pretty low-risk opportunity.

Maybe that will spur a sale of the rest of the block, replacing that auto shop with one of those adult arcade bar gym social house things.

Was up in the Triangle today and in Chapel Hill and went by the new mini Target (reminded me an oversized Walgreens with a Starbucks inside very limited apparel ) and the new Carolina Square. While this is a very big and dense development for Chapel Hill, I dont really think it is groundbreaking. However it is very nice for downtown Chapel Hill and Franklin St and is a great project for that city.  

• Like 1