Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

45 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think we are only a couple projects away from never seeing midrise (4-8 floors) residential within 277 again. Land and construction prices are getting too high. Brooklyn Village might have the last midrise development uptown, if only for the agreed purchases price. Gateways station district plan has midrise construction, and I think that might be feasible but only if land is sold pretty cheap.

Duke and Lincoln Harris' recent purchases seem like the new normal in land pricing uptown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you mean this in a good way as in we are going to start getting High Rises or a bad way as in Residential Development is slowing down.

Do you mean this in a good way as in we are going to start getting High Rises or a bad way as in Residential Development is slowing down.

I think residential should have already slowed down. Hasn't though. I think it'll chug along, at it's questionable rate. I just don't expect to see many midrises if any. I think the future is superblock midrise residential anchored by a 20-30 floor high rise.

21 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I think residential should have already slowed down. Hasn't though. I think it'll chug along, at it's questionable rate. I just don't expect to see many midrises if any. I think the future is superblock midrise residential anchored by a 20-30 floor high rise.

I don't expect residential to slow down, As long as the Millennials keep moving in the Mid-Rises won't stop. There will be a few, And as land becomes more scarce within 277, Developers will ditch Mid-Rises and do full on High Rises. It's predicted that by 2040 More then 50K will live within 277.

20 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I don't expect residential to slow down, As long as the Millennials keep moving in the Mid-Rises won't stop. There will be a few, And as land becomes more scarce within 277, Developers will ditch Mid-Rises and do full on High Rises. It's predicted that by 2040 More then 50K will live within 277.

any idea how many live downtown currently? 20k? 

1 hour ago, QClifer said:

any idea how many live downtown currently? 20k? 

For Q1 2016 estimates Popstats says that inside 277: 

population = 14,000

39% of those have HH inc > $100,000

Median HHI is $105,000

70% have a bachelors degree or higher

and they say their are 61,000 workers inside 277

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

I Suspect that the 7 - 15 Floor Apartment buildings will phase out of Downtown and spread out into NoDa and Southend, Creating more density in those areas. The 20 - 40 Floor Apartment complexes will become more common in Downtown as Land becomes more scarce within 277 and it wouldn't make any sense to build a 5 Story apartment in the City. When this does happen, It will be terrific, It will add "Mini Skylines" in NoDa and Southend. It will make our Skyline look more widespread and dense.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I've always been wondering, Does anyone know if Charlotte is growing faster or slower then Atlanta / Which is more favorable for Growth? 

In percent terms Charlotte is growing much faster than Atlanta. Favorable to growth is a kinda vague term, you can build anything you want in Atlanta (it appears) but the city is now so big and traffic choked that its breakneck 80s and 90s growth has slowed. Sprawl has its limits. 

Edited by kermit

Just now, kermit said:

In percent terms Charlotte is growing much faster than Atlanta. Favorable to growth is a kinda vague term, you can build anything you want in Atlanta (it appears) but the city is now so big and traffic choked that growth has slowed. 

So Charlotte has a better Economic Climate , Better Job Growth, Etc.?

2 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

So Charlotte has a better Economic Climate , Better Job Growth, Etc.?

meh, hard to say -- its not really a one to one thing. I would guess Charlotte's faster growth is mostly a product of its smaller size (fewer jobs generate bigger % growth figures). 

I pray that we DON'T end up like Atlanta.  Traffic there - any time of day - is epically bad.  We are inching towards that during rush hours now.  And with the I-77 debacle, making things worse.  Toss in an accident, and all bets are off.  I look forward to the density in Southend, NODA and Elizabeth to create the smaller pocket cities that can hopefully use mass transit as we grow out more.

• Like 1

I personally think we should have given up on the midrises a few years ago. Every time a new one is proposed, I get irrationally annoyed.  

While I'm at it... I'm not sure what the feasibility is, but I'd like to see one or two non-luxury high rises uptown. Not out of control low priced, just starting in the $900 range instead of the $1200 range. It would save on design and material costs and would surely fill up very quickly -faster than the higher priced units, I'm sure - so not much loss to the developers/owners. It would add an interesting mix of characters to the demographics uptown and/or allow people more money to go out and spend on our local economy. I just think it would be interesting to see, so nobody jump on me about how preposterous it is.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I personally think we should have given up on the midrises a few years ago. Every time a new one is proposed, I get irrationally annoyed.  

While I'm at it... I'm not sure what the feasibility is, but I'd like to see one or two non-luxury high rises uptown. Not out of control low priced, just starting in the $900 range instead of the $1200 range. It would save on design and material costs and would surely fill up very quickly -faster than the higher priced units, I'm sure - so not much loss to the developers/owners. It would add an interesting mix of characters to the demographics uptown and/or allow people more money to go out and spend on our local economy. I just think it would be interesting to see, so nobody jump on me about how preposterous it is.

They'd have to be shoe boxes for the numbers to work. New construction is expensive. Skyhouse is designed to be built as efficiently and cheaply as possible and even they can't touch those numbers.

Micro apartments are coming to the RailYard in South End designed by David Furman. However they will stick built 4-5 stories. High rise construction is expensive that is why there are so many 4-5 stories.  Midrise stick apartments may go away in uptown due to land costs but they will not around the city. 

• Like 1

The 5 - 10 Floor Mid-Rises will soon be Dominant in Southend and NoDa. 15+ Floor High-Rises will soon dominate Downtown, It just takes time. The number of people inside the 277 loop is only expected to rise, Charlotte is supposed to be the Fastest Growing City in America by the year 2030 or 2040 (I forget, If I find the article I will link it). It will only get better for Charlotte as time goes on.

• Like 2

To whoever updates Wikipedia tallest building in Charlotte thank you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Charlotte,_North_Carolina I noticed the new Ally Center at TP is there listed. Should we move 300 South Tryon and Ascent to finished buildings as people are moving in both now?  If you need some photos let me know just message me. 

• Like 2