Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

11 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

To whoever updates Wikipedia tallest building in Charlotte thank you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Charlotte,_North_Carolina I noticed the new Ally Center at TP is there listed. Should we move 300 South Tryon and Ascent to finished buildings as people are moving in both now?  If you need some photos let me know just message me. 

I update it occasionally, and I added Ally Center to the Tryon Place entry. I couldn't get the writing to stayed centered, any tips?

Edited by CLT704
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, KJHburg said:

To whoever updates Wikipedia tallest building in Charlotte thank you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Charlotte,_North_Carolina I noticed the new Ally Center at TP is there listed. Should we move 300 South Tryon and Ascent to finished buildings as people are moving in both now?  If you need some photos let me know just message me. 

It's missing 615 S College

Drove the length of Tryon today. Findings: N Tryon looks REALLY scruffy.

I thought they were renovating 525 N Tryon ? It looks abandoned.

Publix will fill a notable gap. If Spirit Square redevelopment has legs IT could make ALL the difference.

Hard to conceptualize how Lennar and Levine will have an impact short-term.

S and N is riches and rags.

Is it me, or have they spent an excessive amount of time on the former AT&T remodel?  They have been working on that facade for what seems like a year or more.  Either way, the building looks much better.  I really like the slate-type look along the pedestrian corridor.

College.jpg.037470ad42cc234c99f2cc4c3953f1a3.jpgCollege2.jpg.879b1342194e2c2fab16c10a808e9944.jpg

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 3

On 9/22/2017 at 3:47 PM, KJHburg said:

I’ve tried editing it a 1000 times but some idiot moderator keeps changing it back because it’s not on emporis which is a notoriously inaccurate site  anyway. I gave up 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Rhino opened when I first moved to Charlotte.  I joined and it was awesome.  I even brought it up in conversation a few weeks ago. It was Stool Pigeons the longest, but then Dillingers, which was pretty low quality. 

Hopefully the next business is something worth going to.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Is anyone else scared like me that Noda, Southend, Plaza Midwood, Etc. are going to become irrelevant or you think they are only going to get more popular? Please share.

I know what you're saying, but no I think they'll continue to tilt upward in market demand. Walkable environments are in high demand, whether people understand the nuts-and-bolts of what makes a good Place or not, and people are going to want to be in them. Folks are doing their best to create walkable Places in non-urban areas, but it'll take time.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Is anyone else scared like me that Noda, Southend, Plaza Midwood, Etc. are going to become irrelevant or you think they are only going to get more popular? Please share.

I started to put together  a real a real jackass answer for this, laced with sarcasm. But ive changed my mind.

no.  They will not become irrelevant because of Uptown development.

• Like 1

If anything I think these inner city neighborhoods will continue to thrive and surpass uptown in vibrancy. I don’t like the direction Uptown is continuing to go into. Too many chains, not enough local flare. The future is The neighborhoods attached to uptown using mass transit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Well I appreciate you holding back.

Haha you’re welcome.  Sorry, I can be a dick sometimes.

Just think about any big international city that has a massive downtown core. 

New York, London, Chicago, Tokyo.

Yes, they have these massive downtowns, but their souls lie in their hip inner core neighborhoods.

SoHo, West End, Wicker Park, Harajuku.

Like RDF said, the core growth will fuel the neighborhood growth. 

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 1

Agree with everyone's responses, for sure.  There are plenty of people who want to live downtown, and no doubt the developers will continue to build for them.  But there are so many others who want to live near downtown, just not in it.  The incredible thing about Charlotte and the neighborhoods that were mentioned is that that they are amazingly close to downtown, and very nice, and walkable, and safe (mostly), and they all have their own unique vibes.  I don't travel enough that I can recall any other city with such a substantial business district so closely surrounded by such a great set of neighborhoods.  

I do worry about a few spots here and there, that the character of the place might change in ways that suck the soul out of them.  But that will not be because of anything happening inside 277.  On the other hand, I am comforted by the fact that there are so many up and coming neighborhoods that are starting to see interest because the re-established neighborhoods are so growing popular.  

On 10/10/2017 at 10:09 AM, dubone said:

Rhino opened when I first moved to Charlotte.  I joined and it was awesome.  I even brought it up in conversation a few weeks ago. It was Stool Pigeons the longest, but then Dillingers, which was pretty low quality. 

Hopefully the next business is something worth going to.  

Do we know what this new business is going to be yet?

16 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

If anything I think these inner city neighborhoods will continue to thrive and surpass uptown in vibrancy. I don’t like the direction Uptown is continuing to go into. Too many chains, not enough local flare. The future is The neighborhoods attached to uptown using mass transit.

IMO, while "Uptown" offers a lot, it's designed for tourists and office workers. People who live in Uptown reap the benefits of convenience and access, but "Uptown" is not a neighborhood in the sense of Plaza Midwood, Dilworth, NoDa, etc. I think that the surrounding neighborhoods already have more appeal to locals than Uptown in many ways.

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

US Bank announces their presence in the QC finally. How long has this been up or have I missed it for months?  On 200 South Tryon Bldg.  One day there will be a US Bank tower and maybe even a branch! 

IMG_1240.JPG

I think this has been up for years.