Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

12 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Some renderings of the First Citizens Bank Plaza upgrades are on the Agenda today... https://www.charlotteagenda.com/108421/first-citizens-bank-plaza-getting-facelift-includes-7000-square-feet-retail-space/

Uhg. That's barely an improvement. The actual bank branch street frontage isn't changing, and that's what makes this building so awful on the street. I guess something is better than nothing, though.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Has there been any word on what's going into the new spaces created below BOA ?

They look ready to fit up.

Eddie V's , Devon & Blakely, and a Sushi Place by the Ok-u people. One more space left to lease.

20 minutes ago, GeauxCLT said:

Couple pics from today...

79405CAB-1291-4EE2-ABA9-487457DAB873.jpeg

DDA3FF1A-B9B8-4876-BBAA-76E101ADABC3.jpeg

Drove over it on Saturday and was like ", WTF WAS THAT, ohhhh yea, I remember now." Maybe making a speed hump look visually like a rando cross walk is a bad idea.

One thing I do wish developers would realize is to include Ground floor Retail, Granted some are But South End would be 1000 times better if more buildings had ground floor retail. 

Lol. It’s not about realizing anything. It’s about making a profit NOW instead of LATER for them. Retail is harder to finance, requires more expensive construction and materials and quite frankly isn’t a slam dunk investment. Southend needs far less drivers, as parking decks are eating up a tremendous amount of the money in developers pockets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are drivers not yielding to pedestrians?

That’s not necessarily the issue. This speed bump just seems out of place, like it belongs in a suburban shopping strip, not a CBD. True that something is better than nothing; but IMO this design (or lack there of) does little to nothing to increase awareness of pedestrians.

And you think a small sign like they use in Davidson would accomplish that goal?  

I'm not agreeing/disagreeing with you - but I am interested in understand different perspectives on things like this. The core concept of the raised crosswalk is that it elevates (literally) pedestrians and makes them more visible to drivers while simultaneously providing a speed hump to slow traffic. 

I do agree that it may seem out of place to drivers, but for pedestrians its a huge sigh of relief since they were making that crossing anyway.

• Like 1

Spokane proposes establishing a 10 year property tax exemption to property owners who develop parcels currently used for surface parking in the CBD. Strategy also used in Philadelphia. 

Its a friendlier (but lower revenue) strategy than a land value tax.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2017/11/14/spokane-may-give-builders-a-push-to-fix-downtown-parking-craters/

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, southslider said:

The televised section of the Thanksgiving Parade is by The Square. Hopefully, all floats safely clear the new crosswalk hump before their big moment in the spotlight.

If floats don't survive going over a speedbump at pedestrian/parade speeds....that is not a failure of the infrastructure.  

• Like 1

I'm going to shamelessly bump my previous post because I think its WAY cooler than speed bumps.

First - Discovery Place and the City picked the architect team for the museum redesign. Check out the article below.

https://www.discoveryplace.org/about/press/releases/discovery-place-announces-architects-for-uptown-master-plan

Second - Check out the Diller Scofidio + Renfro portfolio. Pretty sweet stuff:

https://dsrny.com/

What are the odds we get something truly transformative/unique for this project? Will the city "Charlotte" this project down?

• Like 2

Transformative? Probably not (though it depends on what you mean by "transformative").  I don't get the impression that they are tearing down the building, so my guess is that exterior changes will be minor unless they add height somehow. Does anyone know the scope of what they're going to do? The description on the website was appropriately vague:

"Ultimately, the architect group will develop an inspiring conceptual design for the facility that will communicate the Museum’s mission to provide the community with educational and immersive opportunities in science, technology and nature."

12 minutes ago, southslider said:

Just a failure in planning infrastructure on a well-known parade route. Otherwise, if floats don't survive going under streetcar wires...

I have heard a city official say in the past that parades will not cross Trade Street anymore once the streetcar is operational. As it can't detour, they can't suspend service for 2-3 hours for parades. Not sure if that policy has changed.

In any event, they have said that area will not have cantenary lines as they will utilize on-board battery power to traverse that stretch of Trade St. 

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

I have heard a city official say in the past that parades will not cross Trade Street anymore once the streetcar is operational. As it can't detour, they can't suspend service for 2-3 hours for parades. Not sure if that policy has changed.

In any event, they have said that area will not have cantenary lines as they will utilize on-board battery power to traverse that stretch of Trade St. 

I have heard that too but I can’t understand why they can’t just run stub service from both sides of Tryon while the parade is happening (CTC outbound and also Church outbound)

• Like 1