atlrvr

Misc. Uptown Projects/News

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

4 hours ago, pathb said:

If floats don't survive going over a speedbump at pedestrian/parade speeds....that is not a failure of the infrastructure.  

Just a failure in planning infrastructure on a well-known parade route. Otherwise, if floats don't survive going under streetcar wires...

12 minutes ago, southslider said:

Just a failure in planning infrastructure on a well-known parade route. Otherwise, if floats don't survive going under streetcar wires...

I have heard a city official say in the past that parades will not cross Trade Street anymore once the streetcar is operational. As it can't detour, they can't suspend service for 2-3 hours for parades. Not sure if that policy has changed.

In any event, they have said that area will not have cantenary lines as they will utilize on-board battery power to traverse that stretch of Trade St. 

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

I have heard a city official say in the past that parades will not cross Trade Street anymore once the streetcar is operational. As it can't detour, they can't suspend service for 2-3 hours for parades. Not sure if that policy has changed.

In any event, they have said that area will not have cantenary lines as they will utilize on-board battery power to traverse that stretch of Trade St. 

I have heard that too but I can’t understand why they can’t just run stub service from both sides of Tryon while the parade is happening (CTC outbound and also Church outbound)

• Like 1

Some miscellaneous uptown shots and I walked over the new crosswalk today but it defeats the purpose if vehicles are going to block it like this.   I forget what is going on with the park at Wells Fargo Plaza do they have a tenant for that space under the gazebo?  I can't remember. 

IMG_3349.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG

IMG_3363.JPG

IMG_3337.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

It's a much bolder punch of color than I was expecting. I like it 

Yes, I was impressed when I went by there yesterday!

We will see what the ground floor reno looks like.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:26 PM, Scribe said:

Yes, I was impressed when I went by there yesterday!

We will see what the ground floor reno looks like.

It looks like this.

2017-11-22 12.27.46.jpg

• Like 2

Does anyone think the building boom will slow down? Lately I have read that the building boom we are in will be ending soon and we are past had way done but I think Charlottes building boom will only increase. Charlotte is predicted to be the fastest growing US city by 2030. In my opinion I would like to see the city still grow and in my opinion the projects are only going to get better, But mainly my question if the building boom is ending soon. 

38 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Does anyone think the building boom will slow down? Lately I have read that the building boom we are in will be ending soon and we are past had way done but I think Charlottes building boom will only increase. Charlotte is predicted to be the fastest growing US city by 2030. In my opinion I would like to see the city still grow and in my opinion the projects are only going to get better, But mainly my question if the building boom is ending soon. 

It really depends on how you look at the data, some growth data is based on percentages of existing people, buildings, other infrastructure, etc. In that case, despite the rate of growth decreasing, we have more to count so a lower percentage could actually still indicate more buildings being constructed than a higher percentage would have a few years ago. Like 5% of 100 is 5, and 2.5% of 200 is 5 as well. If the slowdown in growth is expected to be percentage wise, it might still “feel” like were in a growth boom, even through as a percentage of available stock, we are not, or were at a lower point than we were during the “peak”

1 hour ago, nakers2 said:

It really depends on how you look at the data, some growth data is based on percentages of existing people, buildings, other infrastructure, etc. In that case, despite the rate of growth decreasing, we have more to count so a lower percentage could actually still indicate more buildings being constructed than a higher percentage would have a few years ago. Like 5% of 100 is 5, and 2.5% of 200 is 5 as well. If the slowdown in growth is expected to be percentage wise, it might still “feel” like were in a growth boom, even through as a percentage of available stock, we are not, or were at a lower point than we were during the “peak”

So would you agree that we are in a slow down? Would you expect another peak anytime soon?

Charlotte is certainly not in a slow down. A few office projects just came online and there are several more under construction now or on the verge of starting construction. Residential is still quite strong with multiple buildings underway all over center city and retail is about to explode uptown and beyond. Now, this frantic pace will have to cool off at some point but I think the city's star is shining bright and when things do slow down development will still be at a level that many other cities would consider an upswing. Obviously another bubble burst somewhere would throw everything into upheaval.

I wouldn't worry about things slowing down too much right now. Office space is steadily being scooped up and apartments and townhomes are filling quick. As all of this continues only more projects will be announced. The only question is how successful all of the retail that will be opening over the next year or two will be. Personally I think it will be a hit but we will have to see.

Charlotte is certainly not in a slow down. A few office projects just came online and there are several more under construction now or on the verge of starting construction. Residential is still quite strong with multiple buildings underway all over center city and retail is about to explode uptown and beyond. Now, this frantic pace will have to cool off at some point but I think the city's star is shining bright and when things do slow down development will still be at a level that many other cities would consider an upswing. Obviously another bubble burst somewhere would throw everything into upheaval.
I wouldn't worry about things slowing down too much right now. Office space is steadily being scooped up and apartments and townhomes are filling quick. As all of this continues only more projects will be announced. The only question is how successful all of the retail that will be opening over the next year or two will be. Personally I think it will be a hit but we will have to see.

Still a few more mid scale office projects left in this cycle too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

That is what I think our "cool down" may look like. When we do hit a lull tall tower proposals may be few and far between for a few years but the 8, 10, 15 story projects will keep coming. And I think Charlotte could use more of that (other than 5 story apartments). We have our fair share of signature towers with height. I want more of the dense fillers in between.

People need to keep in mind that the local economy here is considerably more diverse than it was in 2008. Banking is still huge here, but it isn't the sole pillar the city balances on any longer. Energy is doing well, start-ups in various fields seem healthy, the blue collar/warehouse jobs keep coming, and healthcare continues to grow. A more diversified economy can be a very good buffer against downturns.

So do you guys think we are in a cool down and if so when may it heat up? Charlotte will always be growing very quickly, sometime just might be more than other times. The whole southeast is growing a lot and Charlotte won’t be any different. Charlotte will continue to grow hopefully for more decades and is predicted to be the fastest growing US city in 2030. And as mentioned above a Metro population of more than 3.5 Million by 2040. A cool down in Charlotte might include more of Retail and Residentially oriented projects outside of the 277 loop with a few mid sized towers in the City. Charlotte as a whole will never not be growing, Atleast for quite a few more years. 

Crane city view down on Stonewall yesterday. Lets see the 20 story Northwood Ravin apartment tower two 10 story hotels at Stonewall Station getting ready to start,  Lennar apartment tower 25-30+ floors getting ready to start soon, Bohemian hotel, Intercontinental hotel and groundbreaking for 26 story Ally Charlotte tower very soon and that is what is announced now.  There is a couple more things that will be announced soon.  Sounds like a good pipeline of towers in uptown.   

IMG_3405.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG

• Like 1

In just a few short years the drive on 277 will be so freaking cool. I'm really hoping for some announcements on the southern side to really complete the canyon effect. Nothing too crazy, 10 to 20 stories butted up against it would be awesome.

Edited by go_vertical
  • Like 1

So do you guys think we are in a cool down and if so when may it heat up? Charlotte will always be growing very quickly, sometime just might be more than other times. The whole southeast is growing a lot and Charlotte won’t be any different. Charlotte will continue to grow hopefully for more decades and is predicted to be the fastest growing US city in 2030. And as mentioned above a Metro population of more than 3.5 Million by 2040. A cool down in Charlotte might include more of Retail and Residentially oriented projects outside of the 277 loop with a few mid sized towers in the City. Charlotte as a whole will never not be growing, Atleast for quite a few more years. 

We are definitely not in a cool down, especially not for office. The building that was announced in Myers Park is the beginning. Keep in mind there’s still companies in Bofa Corp Center that will need a new home once their leases are done, they all gotta go. Also, as usual there is no austerity in the real estate market, it’ll go until it busts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crane city view down on Stonewall yesterday. Lets see the 20 story Northwood Ravin apartment tower two 10 story hotels at Stonewall Station getting ready to start,  Lennar apartment tower 25-30+ floors getting ready to start soon, Bohemian hotel, Intercontinental hotel and groundbreaking for 26 story Ally Charlotte tower very soon and that is what is announced now.  There is a couple more things that will be announced soon.  Sounds like a good pipeline of towers in uptown.   
IMG_3405.thumb.JPG.b16ed1e181614a4e30c0424936de5f2a.JPG
IMG_3412.thumb.JPG.dccb82b390bf1b35d1578bec3db192f5.JPG

Lennar will be more like 33-35

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

What Lennar Reaidential tower?

6 minutes ago, southslider said:

^part of the redevelopment of Marshall Park

It's actually the proposed tower in First Ward Levineland. Link

It's actually the proposed tower in First Ward Levineland. Link

Should be approved and renderings released soon. Having a hard time getting approved so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk