Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Just rhetorically asking, but given the number of regional offices Facebook, Amazon, and Google are opening around the country, I wonder if one of them opens a major office in Charlotte?

I would think the concentration of financial talent here would lead to them to try open an office here focused on payments, or banking.

• Like 2

Just rhetorically asking, but given the number of regional offices Facebook, Amazon, and Google are opening around the country, I wonder if one of them opens a major office in Charlotte?
I would think the concentration of financial talent here would lead to them to try open an office here focused on payments, or banking.

I wondered that today specifically about Facebook, since they are building such a big building in Austin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

If PayPal had stayed I think that more tech companies would have opened payment centers here. PayPal leaving has definitely delayed that from happening. Speaking of PayPal, did they ever figure out where they were going to expand once they ended the Charlotte deal?

PayPal never expanded anywhere from what I can see.   We do have San Francisco based Credit Karma which is ramping up an office here in Charlotte in Ballantyne.  In terms of Amazon I have said along they should have multiple offices around the country with different specialities like a finance and payment operation in a Charlotte for example.  I think this desire to have another huge HQ2 is very unusual in many ways for most major companies.   Facebook in Austin employs about 1000 from what I have heard and is growing to even larger size. 

According to CBRE Charlotte is the 2nd fastest growing tech market in the country.  You can download the report here based on growth of space occupied etc. 

https://www.cbre.com/research-and-reports/Tech-30-2017

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

That said, Nashville isn't to the scale of Charlotte and is more of an entertainment city opposed to a working city. 

Industry experts say Nashville is hot. But the thing is, Charlotte is on fire.

https://www.bisnow.com/charlotte/news/construction-development/the-new-it-city-does-charlotte-beat-nashville-81423

Edited by Cadi40
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, norm21499 said:

Speaking of PayPal, did they ever figure out where they were going to expand once they ended the Charlotte deal?

They've had a couple rounds of layoffs at their existing operations facilities in Arizona and Nebraska. There isn't really a need to expand to a new office when you have empty cubicles and desks... hence they've been silent on a new location since they canceled the Charlotte office and are just back filling the empty desks in Chandler and Omaha.

2 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

They've had a couple rounds of layoffs at their existing operations facilities in Arizona and Nebraska. There isn't really a need to expand to a new office when you have empty cubicles and desks... hence they've been silent on a new location since they canceled the Charlotte office and are just back filling the empty desks in Chandler and Omaha.

I actually googled Paypal back in the early to mid year and they were entertaining a site in downtown Providence RI (apparently a completely empty high rise), but apparently it came to naught.  They actually did not even revisit the number two site in Tampa after they announced their Charlotte cancellation.  In retrospect, their "protest" against the NC "bathroom law" was an excuse to back out of a deal that they were realizing they really did not need based on short to medium term business forecasts!  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

That said, Nashville isn't to the scale of Charlotte and is more of an entertainment city opposed to a working city. 

https://www.bisnow.com/charlotte/news/construction-development/the-new-it-city-does-charlotte-beat-nashville-81423

And yet GDP per capita of the two is basically the same. 

Does anyone think Charlotte will continue to grow population wise or do you think there will be a halt soon? I think Charlotte and the Southeast in general will continue to grow at a very high rate. Also, Does anyone think Charlotte will Rise on the list of largest US Cities? Right now we are at spot 17. 

22 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Does anyone think Charlotte will continue to grow population wise or do you think there will be a halt soon? I think Charlotte and the Southeast in general will continue to grow at a very high rate. Also, Does anyone think Charlotte will Rise on the list of largest US Cities? Right now we are at spot 17. 

Its never halted in its existence. The only way it halts is natural/manmade disaster.

58 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

If the pace of population growth amongst all the cities involved continues I believe Charlotte is expected to move up two or three spots on the list by 2030 or sometime around there. We'll leapfrog Jacksonville and Columbus, OH fairly soon. Indianapolis is probable too. Outside of those all the others are growing at a breakneck speed or their populations are so much higher than ours that it would take a generation or longer.

The average growth of the cities between #17 and #13 only Charlotte, Ft. Worth and Austin have had consistently double-digit percentage growth over the last 60 years.  Charlotte's average 10 year growth is about 38% with two decades of 60% plus growth.  It won't take a generation to top 1 million.

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Phillydog said:

The averagebthe growth of the cities between #17 and #13.  Charlotte, Ft. Worth and Austin are the only ones that has had consistently double-digit percentage growth over the last 60 years.  Charlotte's average 10 year growth is about 38% with two decades of 60% plus growth.  It won't take a generation to top 1 million.

I believe he was talking about the larger cities like Dallas for example.

If I am correct the Metro area is predicted to hit 4 Million around 2040? Wouldn't be surprised if that occurred sooner.