Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

On 12/27/2017 at 7:23 PM, atlrvr said:

They've changed zoning laws to allow them in a lot more districts as long as they have "retail" on the ground floor. I believe that the unit leasing office selling some cardboard boxes qualify.

Point of clarification: they're requiring more 'active ground floor uses' - not retail specifically. Basically as long as there are people moving around on the ground floor and that activity is apparent from the outside, it's ok. That said, there are a lot of leading offices that fall into that category, and it's disappointing to have an active use that isn't an opportunity for actual retail.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Point of clarification: they're requiring more 'active ground floor uses' - not retail specifically. Basically as long as there are people moving around on the ground floor and that activity is apparent from the outside, it's ok. That said, there are a lot of leading offices that fall into that category, and it's disappointing to have an active use that isn't an opportunity for actual retail.

There are about 3 "active use areas" on the Apartment building at 1100 South Blvd. Thats great and all, but they literally serve NO PURPOSE. And as an added "FU" the buildings are physically labeled "ACTIVE USE AREA" on the outside of the building. 

image.thumb.png.f21e48f485de1bb78d3f4bb114d82880.pngimage.thumb.png.277c25c2e2bd5be084e3cbf61f672cf5.png

Edited by Guest

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

There are about 3 "active use areas" on the Apartment building at 1100 South Blvd. Thats great and all, but they literally serve NO PURPOSE. And as an added "FU" the buildings are physically labeled "ACTIVE USE AREA" on the outside of the building. 

image.thumb.png.3c78314da9f46b5b56406f0fcf06f7fc.pngimage.thumb.png.277c25c2e2bd5be084e3cbf61f672cf5.png

That's ridiculous. For it to be active use there should be astroturf behind those bars not concrete. Seriously though, I was wondering whether the city could create a zoning requirement which required not only retail but also that is be open at least 6 days per week. We also don't want more of these places that are open only for the office workers. Makes many prime blocks in uptown very dead on weekends. I'll put that in the retail thread we have going.

• Like 3

Anyone know what is going on at/with the old Mecklenburg Investment Co building at the corner of Brevard & 3rd?  Saw it being re-boarded up yesterday leaving uptown on 3rd.  I am guessing some housing deprived individuals got in and that's why, but it looked like there might have been a sign up (I couldn't read from my car).  Pretty building.

On 1/9/2018 at 2:05 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

That's not an active ground floor use though. That's a shitty developer, and a great example of why the development regulations need to be upgraded.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Spartan said:

That's not an active ground floor use though. That's a crapty developer, and a great example of why the development regulations need to be upgraded.

That's my point. :-)

59 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Anyone have any idea what the hell this is?

Not sure, but there seems to have been a mix-up in November... So, if the footings are already done, this should be visible somewhere on that block....

Plans are approved as noted--the county attorney has approved the easement and placement of the new canopy---the footings were poured (at their own risk) pending approval of this new set of plans due to weather and soil conditions -contractor was working on another active permit/document for this site which referenced the canopy but did not provide complete information --engineer to review footings as placed and determine compliance with the approved sealed documents-- engineer to also monitor attachment of canopy to footings for compliance to approved documents - upload sealed reports to the building permit---Review for 11-17-17 -no changes to original comments--modifications did not affect original building review

above quote is from https://webpermit.mecklenburgcountync.gov/WebStatMap/PosseStatMapTables.aspx?PrjNbr=381194

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dale said:

Walked by the library today. Looks awful. Is the plan just to let the wheels fall off until they build the new one ?

I could’ve swore it was you who found it appalling at how much they were go to spend on renovations (93 million)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article138512818.html

Imagine a new $93 million main modern library in uptown Charlotte with new office and apartments nearby.

That’s the plan to transform the area around Sixth and North Tryon streets that got generally favorable reviews from Mecklenburg County commissioners Tuesday afternoon.

5 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I could’ve swore it was you who found it appalling at how much they were go to spend on renovations (93 million)

Imagine a new $93 million main modern library in uptown Charlotte with new office and apartments nearby.

That’s the plan to transform the area around Sixth and North Tryon streets that got generally favorable reviews from Mecklenburg County commissioners Tuesday afternoon.

Not me.

13 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Probably me.  Not appalled, just think the current library is decent and could be improved with less money.  I'd love a new library but there are other projects (parks and greenways for instance) that I view as higher priorities.