Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

22 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I wish hair salons would migrate to either the mall or move away from Tryon (although north Tryon seems appropriate) 

there are lots of amazing places taken up by salons IE the attached photos. 

Also, I’d love to see CTC be renovated  ASAP to Express only with weekends being a farmers market. I don’t want CTC to disappear anytime soon or sold. I want the city to use it to be a catalyst for Brevard & Trade Street development and renovations. 

9515BEBC-AAE0-407D-B347-EF65437CEE0D.jpeg

This shot makes this seem almost (read: almost) like a worldly city with interesting facades.

Have you ever noticed that laymen think making nice facades is just a... ahem, well, "Facade"? They don't seem to care that it can make all the difference.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2018 at 12:49 PM, Spartan said:

I agree, and I sincerely hope you are also of the opinion that Overstreet Mall and bank lobbies hinder the development of retail activity in our downtown. We're making progress on the lobbies... not so much on Overstreet Mall. IMO, a short term fix would be for office-oriented services like FedEx to move up to the mall, thus freeing up retail space for something else. 

Of course I would like to see more interesting shops lining the sidewalks, but I'd rather have a bright, busy FedEx than something sitting empty.

I'd help FedEx move if there was a sweep of new leases filling storefronts uptown, but vision has to be balanced with reality. Everything is in the process of changing uptown. I just want to see people keep on peopling through that process. 

Cheers!

Just a couple of questions:  (1)  How it is that Duke Energy has the need for so much office space -- both a proposed 35-floor office tower at 401 South Graham Street as well as possibly a major office tower at 521 South Tryon Street (currently, a surface parking lot between St. Peter's Catholic Church and the Harvey B. Gantt Center)?   (2) Is the term "DEC2" a reference to the surface parking lot at 521 South Tryon Street, or to something else such as the new Legacy Union Tower?  Thank you.

7 minutes ago, QCxpat said:

Just a couple of questions:  (1)  How it is that Duke Energy has the need for so much office space -- both a proposed 35-floor office tower at 401 South Graham Street as well as possibly a major office tower at 521 South Tryon Street (currently, a surface parking lot between St. Peter's Catholic Church and the Harvey B. Gantt Center)?   (2) Is the term "DEC2" a reference to the surface parking lot at 521 South Tryon Street, or to something else such as the new Legacy Union Tower?  Thank you.

Duke leases a tremendous amount of space uptown including at least 500K in Duke Energy Center from Wells Fargo owner and around 400K plus sq ft in 400 South Tryon Bldg. which I think they want to leave as it is old and they talked about leaving years ago then bought Progress energy in Raleigh and decided to stay. Plus they now own Piedmont Natural gas. Remember Duke is the largest investor owned utility in America serving parts of both Carolinas, Florida, Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana.  Plus big into renewables like solar and wind (mainly out west) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, QCxpat said:

wait woah woah what? Duke has nothing to do with 401 South Graham St. Where'd you get that idea?

DEC2 = 521 South Tryon Street.

Edited by Guest

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

wait woah woah what? Duke has nothing to do with 401 South Graham St. Where'd you get that idea?

Yeah, I was just about to say that.  I think the 401 S Graham tower got brought up in another thread when discussing Duke and that's where the confusion came in.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Oh!  I misread your very fine story in CharlotteFive "The 22 Major Development Questions Charlotte Faces in 2018," dated 12/18/2017.   Questions (17)  said:  "In addition to Polk, there are plans submitted to the city for a project by Dominion Realty Partners at 401 South Graham, a 35-floor office tower for Duke Energy, and Lennar's 'Market 42,' in First Ward.   What will these high-rise buildings look like?"

I mistakenly thought that  "a 35-floor office tower for Duke Energy" was a description of the 401 South South Graham Street site.  Now, I see that it's 3 separate high-rise buildings.  Sorry, and THANKS for setting me straight.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, QCxpat said:

Oh!  I misread your very fine story in CharlotteFive "The 22 Major Development Questions Charlotte Faces in 2018," dated 12/18/2017.   Questions (17)  said:  "In addition to Polk, there are plans submitted to the city for a project by Dominion Realty Partners at 401 South Graham, a 35-floor office tower for Duke Energy, and Lennar's 'Market 42,' in First Ward.   What will these high-rise buildings look like?"

I mistakenly thought that  "a 35-floor office tower for Duke Energy" was a description of the 401 South South Graham Street site.  Now, I see that it's 3 separate high-rise buildings.  Sorry, and THANKS for setting me straight.   

lol. crap I might need to reword that sentence. I still need to write about all those questions this year. oy vey.

Intercontinental (Carolina Theater) is the closest, but not sure how much we will see of the first phase as they drive micro piles for the foundation.

Grand Bohemian is next.

Everything else has not even fenced off the sites yet (i.e. not permitted yet).

Edited by Scribe

^^ 10 Tryon is fenced in field. Perhaps Discovery Place should graze sheep there as an educational exhibit but no construction in sight yet.   Bohemian  has nice fencing up but I  was walking so fast by it really did get a look inside some preliminary work done.  The last time I went by Intercontinental some prelim work but not much. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

10 Tryon is fenced in field.

Yeah it is, but only because it was left over from SkyHouse (I & II) not because there is any progress on the project.

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Perhaps Discovery Place should graze sheep there as an educational exhibit but no construction in site yet. 

LOL, I would go see the exhibit!

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, stiluvclt said:

Vis-a-vis North Tryon Street: Lennar, Carolina Theatre/Intercontinental, Discovery Place, Public Library, Ten Tryon, Levine and even Grand Bohemian (I know, I know...south side of Trade).....have any of these projects turned any dirt yet?

Discovery Place had budget approved to start design, same with Public Library, so those are in design mode still. Wouldn't start thinking about them being touched until 2019-20. Levine, bahaha. Lennar starts in August. Ten Tryon waiting on a few more tenants, think they are 15% leased.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, navigator319 said:

With the Duke rate hike now settled thoughts on if their new Uptown tower officially gets moving?

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/02/23/n-c-regulators-rule-customers-not-utility-liable.html

This is only Duke Energy Progress (Eastern NC). The hearing for Duke Energy Carolinas is March 5 (Western NC). 

Regulators only approved around half of the rate increase Duke Energy Progress requested, so I'd think Duke Energy Progress would consider this a disappointment. 

Edited by CLT2014

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

This is only Duke Energy Progress (Eastern NC). The hearing for Duke Energy Carolinas is March 5 (Western NC). 

Regulators only approved around half of the rate increase Duke Energy Progress requested, so I'd think Duke Energy Progress would consider this a disappointment. 

Oh cool.  Seems cumbersome and inefficient process.  Very close to the end though.

Duke knows it would never get what it requests so that fact makes them inflate what they go in with.  Whole thing to me seems like a waste of time a resources for a show.   

Edited by navigator319

Will CLT ever get a Hard Rock Cafe?

While I’m not sayin we need one or should ever get one, because... why? I was actually very surprised when one didn’t get incorporated into the NHoF instead of BWW. I’d say it’s a possibility if tourism ever truly becomes a real thing in Uptown outside of sporting events.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Personally, I sure hope not.

Financially, It's not like we have much of a tourist crowd but I suppose the bankers would lap it up on weekdays at least?

I was thinking the same thing. We don’t have the tourist. But you have a point. The corporations would pump money into that place like they do BBT ball park & Top Golf. It’s like they buy tickets and give them out like crazy 

Charlotte has business workers and enough tourists that would eat there. We are no Orlando by any means but we have tourists. Someone told me the other day that Charlotte was the third city with the most tourists in the South after Atlanta and Orlando. Don't know how factual that is but it isn't the first time I've heard it. 

^^ I do like to walk around a Hard Rock Cafe looking at the memorabilia  last one I went to was in Biloxi Mississippi and I surprised we don't have one either.   Charlotte is #1 in tourists and tourism dollars in the state.   Hey I would even buy a Hard Rock Charlotte tee-shirt but not really a fan of the food. Near the Nascar Hall of Fame and Convention Center would be a perfect location of course.  Or the Epicenter since it is so tourist driven now.   Even Anchorage and Pittsburgh and Indy have them! https://www.hardrock.com/locations

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2