Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Stories like this make me really grumpy. It aint that hard to think about the weaknesses of your data source for 30 seconds before you write. Using icons to indicate ‘no data’ aimt hard either.

c748f384-89ef-11e8-87dd-c49ad51e3fcf.jpg

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/seattle-tops-the-nation-in-tower-cranes-for-third-straight-year-as-construction-reaches-new-peak/

Edited by kermit

I had always thought Charlotte had a ton of tower cranes but then I went and visited the Navy Yard/Waterfront district in DC right outside Nats park.  They had 13 cranes up and moving within about 6 city blocks.  You may have noticed a bunch of them if you watched the MLB All-Star game or home run derby right behind left field.  Its remarkable what that ballpark has done for that area of DC.

30 minutes ago, kermit said:

Stories like this make me really grumpy. It aint that hard to think about a sampling process for 30 seconds before you write.

c748f384-89ef-11e8-87dd-c49ad51e3fcf.jpg

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/real-estate/seattle-tops-the-nation-in-tower-cranes-for-third-straight-year-as-construction-reaches-new-peak/

the 20 tower crane in NYC count is so strange to me too. Maybe they are saying just manhattan? Because floorplates are generally so small our buildings get built without tower cranes sometimes.

Edited by Guest

I love how Phoenix' whopping 4 cranes gets a nod, but Charlotte gets the blind eye. Typical.

Oh, well. We all know Charlotte has an above average skyline for its size. The notoriety will come eventually. Especially as Charlotte creeps up on the population list. Currently #17 and on pace to be in top 15 in the next 5 years.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hunted said:

I love how Phoenix' whopping 4 cranes gets a nod, but Charlotte gets the blind eye. Typical.

Oh, well. We all know Charlotte has an above average skyline for its size. The notoriety will come eventually. Especially as Charlotte creeps up on the population list. Currently #17 and on pace to be in top 15 in the next 5 years.

Maybe we need to cool our jets. It wasn't many years ago that we were the world's largest city commonly confused with Charleston, SC.

27 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Why we obsessed with skylines?   https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/commercial-real-estate/theres-a-reason-we-are-so-infatuated-with-skylines-90832

^^^ In terms of this Seattle Times writer I guess he found NO highrises under construction with a crane in  ANY city in Texas or in NC or Florida yeah no highrises under construction  in those 3 states.   I would call that article fake news or absolute terrible lazy reporting.  

“While the official state bird of North Carolina is the Northern Cardinal, Charlotte can make a strong case for the crane,” JLL reports.

lol, did you write this KJ?

38 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Why we obsessed with skylines?   https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/commercial-real-estate/theres-a-reason-we-are-so-infatuated-with-skylines-90832

^^^ In terms of this Seattle Times writer I guess he found NO highrises under construction with a crane in  ANY city in Texas or in NC or Florida yeah no highrises under construction  in those 3 states.   I would call that article fake news or absolute terrible lazy reporting.  

I don’t know. Why would anyone be obsessed with urban development ?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

“While the official state bird of North Carolina is the Northern Cardinal, Charlotte can make a strong case for the crane,” JLL reports.

lol, did you write this KJ?

I feel insulted. (JK) I made that exact joke a couple of months ago. Lol

2 hours ago, Dale said:

I don't get why we can't have both. Indeed, seems like we're getting both!

I see progress but we are definitely not getting both yet.  The North Tryon plan has a lot of both if it comes to fruition but where are we seeing street closures and protected bike lanes?  Street level retail is better but still a long way from where it should be.  Agree we should be getting both but we're not (not yet at least).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I've lived uptown 4 years and have seen little improvement in the items I mentioned. At the same time we get high rise apartments and office buildings. HoHum. Agreed it would be optimal to get both!

I agree with your overall sentiment, but I disagree that it wasn't improved. Third Ward has transformed dramatically, and basically overnight in development terms. The frustrating part is that all of the improvements in uptown are essentially concentrated in that one area between Trade, Tryon, 277, and the NS RR tracks.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JBS said:

Not sure where to post this but the building on the land on 5th near Gateway came down today.  Presumably, the new police station won't be far behind.  I have pictures if anyone wants to see a pile of bricks...

I assume you are talking about the old warehouse at the northwest corner of 5th St and the railroad...were 6th St wraps around and dead ends into 5th St?  For a minute, I was think you were talking about the Polk Building, but people would have been all over that!

On 7/26/2018 at 1:42 PM, pgsinger said:

I assume you are talking about the old warehouse at the northwest corner of 5th St and the railroad...were 6th St wraps around and dead ends into 5th St?  For a minute, I was think you were talking about the Polk Building, but people would have been all over that!

That's the one! Hopefully they will open up the sidewalk again soon once the demo is out of the way. Do we have any renderings of what the police station will look like?

That's the one! Hopefully they will open up the sidewalk again soon once the demo is out of the way. Do we have any renderings of what the police station will look like?

a2465eb91eefb690bcc23586120d47f1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk