Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

On 7/28/2018 at 7:45 AM, navigator319 said:

How is this building big enough for CMPD needs?   Aren't they moving from the current location Uptown to here?

The site is a lot bigger than this rendering would indicate. Hopefully the backside of the building is aesthetically pleasing as well. Not a fan of the exposed parking deck, but considering the use and the need for a quick exit in an emergency, ill allow it. 

23 hours ago, kermit said:

I damn near chocked on my cornflakes when I saw this headline in my inbox this morning:

Needless to say the headline is a bit hyperbolic, but it is a moderately interesting long read. 

https://nextcity.org/features/view/charlotte-moves-toward-a-car-free-city-center

I've often thought about a Tryon Street being permanently shut down beneath 7th and Trade closed to everything but transit for a few blocks.  Doubt it will ever happen.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, kermit said:

I damn near chocked on my cornflakes when I saw this headline in my inbox this morning:

Needless to say the headline is a bit hyperbolic, but it is a moderately interesting long read. 

https://nextcity.org/features/view/charlotte-moves-toward-a-car-free-city-center

There was so much incorrect information. Good read nonetheless. I talked to the author, he's from Cleveland, next city flew him down for 3 days to write this. 

4 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

I really want for this to be successful.  The daily volume of bikes and scooters zipping around uptown at 5:00PM has given me optimism that Charlotte can quickly become a bikeable city.  It feels like all these Rent-a-Bikes and Scooters may force the hand of the city to awknowledge that protected lanes for bikes are beneficial to the city fabric and well-being of its citizens.  There is a lot of momentum right now, and if this project is successful, I hope the city looks at ways to connect Uptown with its sorrounding neighborhoods in all directions.  

• Like 3

I can just imagine the observer letters to the editor that are coming. ;-( Let's hope there aren't a lot of drivers getting aggressive because it takes them an extra 2 minutes to get home to SC. 

I have to say I've seen a big difference in the number of drivers stopping at the cross walks on either end of Latta. I am pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CTiger said:

I really want for this to be successful.  The daily volume of bikes and scooters zipping around uptown at 5:00PM has given me optimism that Charlotte can quickly become a bikeable city.  It feels like all these Rent-a-Bikes and Scooters may force the hand of the city to awknowledge that protected lanes for bikes are beneficial to the city fabric and well-being of its citizens.  There is a lot of momentum right now, and if this project is successful, I hope the city looks at ways to connect Uptown with its sorrounding neighborhoods in all directions.  

Unless there are some politicians in power who are actively pro-bike, it probably would take a long time and be done poorly for a network of dedicated bike paths.

Or sadly, some people will have to die in accidents with cars before they recognize the need for it.

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/08/02/pennsylvania-firm-buys-uptown-office-tower-for-24m.html

"the firm has "exciting plans" to renovate the building and reintroduce it to the market. "  Could we get a re-skin please???

Just shows our real estate market is still doing well if old buildings are being bought as investments.

I think it's ugly but Charlotte doesn't have many modernist buildings. And this one is incredibly unique at that. It was clad with 3,822 - 2,000 lb precast concrete slabs. I'd rather see it get a major reno inside and on street level and leave the ugly facade alone.

Also, is that hideous, short parking deck part of the property? Hopefully they can tear that down and put in a new one underground/above ground with good street presence and a tower on top.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CTiger said:

Haha, I swear I might be the only person in Charlotte who likes this building.  I think the texture on it is really unique and cool looking.  I've never seen the inside though. . . 

I was thinking the same thing about the texture. It could use a good power wash, but it's a nice, unique building on its way to being somewhat of a historical treasure. 

• Like 4

Merging of 4 offices of an architectural engineering firm into one office at 400 South Tryon brings that tower to 97% leased (Duke is their largest tenant)

""An architecture, engineering and planning firm will merge four North Carolina offices into one location in uptown Charlotte.  LaBella Associates, headquartered in Rochester, New York, signed on for 18,828 square feet at 400 South Tryon, where it will house 58 employees from the Charlotte metro area. LaBella is leasing the building's entire 13th floor and is expected to move in November. LaBella does architecture, engineering and planning for buildings, energy, infrastructure and environmental sectors.""

Subscriber article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/08/06/architecture-engineering-firm-to-merge-4-offices.html?ana=e_du_prem&s=article_du&ed=2018-08-06&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1533583554&j=83113411

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Niner National said:

Anyone know what is under construction behind the townhomes that are bound by McDowell, 7th street, and 277?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1PhrG6g0gM_6_33x4ixzkhtPGb94&ll=35.228187385022665%2C-80.84691611761474&z=13

Many of your peers at UP maintain a map to look up projects.  FYI. :)