Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

• 2 weeks later...

If the public space isnt literally right along my travel path or immediately out my front door, I'm probably not going to be there unless there's some kind of draw other than art and nice seating. So it makes a lot of sense to need to "activate" the area to get people to use it.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2018 at 5:01 PM, EllAyyDub said:

Anyone have any insight to this (15 story, 200 room hotel)?  Can't tell location somewhere on N College.

image.png.5cd13136e7f93ea5f2b68e172e55c93c.png

Yes, I think this will likely be a Homewood Suites, This is the leftover parcel for Market 42.

Edited by Guest

Excuse my ignorance if this is well known, but can someone share the story behind this building in First Ward? I have been in Charlotte 6 years or so, and I think the windows have always been boarded up. I have always been disappointed the building isn’t better utilized. Notice the detail in the shingles/roofing. Who currently owns it?

2e5e6d278bb34a942bd101673715108d.jpg&key=67432fb11cf05f9c38a801a0b7ec41f6a5e4d7b4a00b3bfea78c2e355b9df886

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, J-Rob said:

....Who currently owns it?

Daniel Levine of course.

I think there was a bail bondsmen's office on the ground floor when I arrived nearly 20 years ago.  Shortly after that the building went vacant, my fuzzy memory is that Levine had planned to update the building but after it began he was discouraged by the cost of historically sensitive reno  (I may be mistaken about that). The upper floor windows were left open for nearly a decade, it certainly appeared that Levine was hoping weather would take care of demo so he didn't have to bother with spending to maintain a historic building.

#JustAnotherLevineDisappointment

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, kermit said:

Daniel Levine of course.

I think there was a bail bondsmen's office on the ground floor when I arrived nearly 20 years ago.  Shortly after that the building went vacant (I don't remember why). The upper floor windows were not boarded up for nearly a decade, it appeared clear that Levine was hoping weather would take the building down so he didn't have to bother with the buildings historic status.

#JustAnotherLevineDisappointment

So can we consider Levine a quasi-slum lord?  As much as I don't want to believe that is what his intents are, sadly, i have to agree with you.  This guy is a complete disgrace to the construction industry in this city.  He is anti-development in my eyes.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

So can we consider Levine a quasi-slum lord?  As much as I don't want to believe that is what his intents are, sadly, i have to agree with you.  This guy is a complete disgrace to the construction industry in this city.  He is anti-development in my eyes.

At the risk of sounding older than Tarhoosier, Levine reminds me of the old joke:

Who was the only coach in the NCAA who could hold Michael Jordan under 30 points a game?

-- Dean Smith.

Levine appears to be the only thing that can prevent development in central Charlotte. He is like Paraquat to infill.

[I am absolutely NOT trying to compare Daniel Levine to one of the finest basketball coaches of all time]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

Hey, I resemble that remark!

That is the Treloar house. It was built with two adjoining homes with a brick wall separating the halves of the building. That is why it is symmetrical. At one point more than 100 years ago a brother lived one side and his sister the other.

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rtreloarhse.htm

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Hey, I resemble that remark!

That is the Treloar house. It was built with two adjoining homes with a brick wall separating the halves of the building. That is why it is symmetrical. At one point more than 100 years ago a brother lived one side and his sister the other.

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rtreloarhse.htm

Someone needs to pen an article accusing Levine of being a slum lord who lies about his intentions so as to avoid any responsibility, re: allowing weather to make the Treolar house "prohibitively expensive" to rehab after years of saying he will rehab. Maybe charge City Council with putting political pressure on him (yknow, utilize the flag and pony show that is politics). Disgrace him to death.

If every UPer wrote one simple article and submitted theirs to a random Charlotte publication it would be a tsunami of bad press for the man.

CLEARLY no other publication follows up on their countless fluff pieces on him

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Someone needs to pen an article accusing Levine of being a slum lord who lies about his intentions so as to avoid any responsibility, re: allowing weather to make the Treolar house "prohibitively expensive" to rehab after years of saying he will rehab.

I think criticizing people who (might) matter is something that Charlotte is incredibly bad at. This goes double for the local development community -- look no further than Deedee's (10 year old) hole at Quail Hollow, the (now dead) Pappas project at Scaleybark, or any multifamily project built in the past decade.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2018 at 3:56 PM, kermit said:

At the risk of sounding older than Tarhoosier, Levine reminds me of the old joke:

Who was the only coach in the NCAA who could hold Michael Jordan under 30 points a game?

-- Dean Smith.

Levine appears to be the only thing that can prevent development in central Charlotte. He is like Paraquat to infill.

[I am absolutely NOT trying to compare Daniel Levine to one of the finest basketball coaches of all time]

Great reference to Jordan and Smith. Surprised to see that here, but it was appreciated.

• Like 1