Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

This may not be new news but I noticed that Walgreen is closing the Rite-Aid store on South Tryon at Latta Arcade.

This may be a great opportunity for some new retail (or yet another restaurant) along with the closed Dean & DeLuca location on South Tryon.

Looking forward to the new Chopt at least.   Does anyone know about the plans for the Rite-Aid space or the Dean & DeLuca space?

• Like 1

Any movement on the old McDonalds location in the Overstreet mall? Saw what looked like interior planners inside the unit during the week. Same with the old hairdressers unit beside Starbuck in Charlotte Plaza. Anyone know who is moving in?

Edited by stw52
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, stw52 said:

Any movement on the old McDonalds location in the Overstreet mall? Saw what looked like interior planners inside the unit during the week. Same with the old hairdressers unit beside Starbuck in Charlotte Plaza. Anyone know who is moving in?

As ubiquitous as McDonald's is, it's surprising that we don't have one inside of 277.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, midtownclt said:

This may not be new news but I noticed that Walgreen is closing the Rite-Aid store on South Tryon at Latta Arcade.

This may be a great opportunity for some new retail (or yet another restaurant) along with the closed Dean & DeLuca location on South Tryon.

Looking forward to the new Chopt at least.   Does anyone know about the plans for the Rite-Aid space or the Dean & DeLuca space?

I wouldn't be surprised for Walgreens (or CVS) to open in another location at that end of Tryon. The Walgreens in the Omni is packed all of the time, it has to be one of there highest grossing locations in the Carolinas.

• Like 3

I went inside the closing Latta Rite-Aid today (50% off all the dregs!) and it was very depressing. The odor was unique to a convenience store that has been in operation for a long time, but no longer has several tonnes of product filling the air to mask the stank. Looking forward to whatever else ends up in there!

4 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I'm not quite sure how to articulate this, but maybe "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" works.

I finally took a minute to go inside the renovated lobby of First Citizens. It's awful. Like, this is clearly an instance where they made what was working fine much worse. The owner apparently wanted one of every trendiest material in existence, along with every trendiest light fixture possible, crammed all together. And for what should be celebrated as main entrances into the building, the doors in and out are now practically to the side and seem like back doors. As I was standing there, an older couple couldn't even figure out how they came in and where the doors were to get out. And they completely butchered what should have been a simple, naturally ADA accessible entrance off of Tryon Street. I can't fathom why they made something that worked and broke it.

Based on the material selections alone, I see this lobby getting renovated again within 5 years. Hopefully with more competence. 

Could not agree more, its like they saw BofA Plaza and said "I WANT THAT BUT MUCH CHEAPER" 

• Haha 1

On 10/5/2018 at 12:25 PM, stw52 said:

Signs went up today showing CLT Find (https://www.cltfind.com/) taking the space next to Starbucks.  Looks like they are moving from the retail incubator at 7th St Market.  I was under the impression Starbucks was taking the space over and expanding until today..

Nothing has been finalized on the old McDonald's space but I would expect some whispers or rumors to leak soon (my info may be dated on this piece).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

Signs went up today showing CLT Find (https://www.cltfind.com/) taking the space next to Starbucks.  Looks like they are moving from the retail incubator at 7th St Market.  I was under the impression Starbucks was taking the space over and expanding until today..

Nothing has been finalized on the old McDonald's space but I would expect some whispers or rumors to leak soon (my info may be dated on this piece).

I, at one time, knew who was going in McDonald's and it wasn't all that exciting but I don't remember who it was. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Can someone refresh my memory on this condo building at 10th and Graham? Was it a rehab from a factory/office building (I think so)? Or a new build?

When I Google the address of 715 N Graham St it doesn't pull up any historical records.

New build. Google street view remembers. 

https://goo.gl/maps/pBeABcwSem52

• Like 3