atlrvr

Misc. Uptown Projects/News

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

That is the Treloar house. It was built with two adjoining homes with a brick wall separating the halves of the building. That is why it is symmetrical. At one point more than 100 years ago a brother lived one side and his sister the other.

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rtreloarhse.htm

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Hey, I resemble that remark!

That is the Treloar house. It was built with two adjoining homes with a brick wall separating the halves of the building. That is why it is symmetrical. At one point more than 100 years ago a brother lived one side and his sister the other.

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/surveys&rtreloarhse.htm

Someone needs to pen an article accusing Levine of being a slum lord who lies about his intentions so as to avoid any responsibility, re: allowing weather to make the Treolar house "prohibitively expensive" to rehab after years of saying he will rehab. Maybe charge City Council with putting political pressure on him (yknow, utilize the flag and pony show that is politics). Disgrace him to death.

If every UPer wrote one simple article and submitted theirs to a random Charlotte publication it would be a tsunami of bad press for the man.

CLEARLY no other publication follows up on their countless fluff pieces on him

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Someone needs to pen an article accusing Levine of being a slum lord who lies about his intentions so as to avoid any responsibility, re: allowing weather to make the Treolar house "prohibitively expensive" to rehab after years of saying he will rehab.

I think criticizing people who (might) matter is something that Charlotte is incredibly bad at. This goes double for the local development community -- look no further than Deedee's (10 year old) hole at Quail Hollow, the (now dead) Pappas project at Scaleybark, or any multifamily project built in the past decade.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/22/2018 at 3:56 PM, kermit said:

At the risk of sounding older than Tarhoosier, Levine reminds me of the old joke:

Who was the only coach in the NCAA who could hold Michael Jordan under 30 points a game?

-- Dean Smith.

Levine appears to be the only thing that can prevent development in central Charlotte. He is like Paraquat to infill.

[I am absolutely NOT trying to compare Daniel Levine to one of the finest basketball coaches of all time]

Great reference to Jordan and Smith. Surprised to see that here, but it was appreciated.

• Like 1

This may not be new news but I noticed that Walgreen is closing the Rite-Aid store on South Tryon at Latta Arcade.

This may be a great opportunity for some new retail (or yet another restaurant) along with the closed Dean & DeLuca location on South Tryon.

Looking forward to the new Chopt at least.   Does anyone know about the plans for the Rite-Aid space or the Dean & DeLuca space?

• Like 1

Any movement on the old McDonalds location in the Overstreet mall? Saw what looked like interior planners inside the unit during the week. Same with the old hairdressers unit beside Starbuck in Charlotte Plaza. Anyone know who is moving in?

Edited by stw52
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, stw52 said:

Any movement on the old McDonalds location in the Overstreet mall? Saw what looked like interior planners inside the unit during the week. Same with the old hairdressers unit beside Starbuck in Charlotte Plaza. Anyone know who is moving in?

As ubiquitous as McDonald's is, it's surprising that we don't have one inside of 277.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, midtownclt said:

This may not be new news but I noticed that Walgreen is closing the Rite-Aid store on South Tryon at Latta Arcade.

This may be a great opportunity for some new retail (or yet another restaurant) along with the closed Dean & DeLuca location on South Tryon.

Looking forward to the new Chopt at least.   Does anyone know about the plans for the Rite-Aid space or the Dean & DeLuca space?

I wouldn't be surprised for Walgreens (or CVS) to open in another location at that end of Tryon. The Walgreens in the Omni is packed all of the time, it has to be one of there highest grossing locations in the Carolinas.

• Like 3

I went inside the closing Latta Rite-Aid today (50% off all the dregs!) and it was very depressing. The odor was unique to a convenience store that has been in operation for a long time, but no longer has several tonnes of product filling the air to mask the stank. Looking forward to whatever else ends up in there!

I hope someone has knowledge of what may eventually fill the Rite-Aid and Dean & DeLuca spaces. 

What new things may open on S. Tryon along with Chopt?  I hope something other than more food/restaurants.

4 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I'm not quite sure how to articulate this, but maybe "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" works.

I finally took a minute to go inside the renovated lobby of First Citizens. It's awful. Like, this is clearly an instance where they made what was working fine much worse. The owner apparently wanted one of every trendiest material in existence, along with every trendiest light fixture possible, crammed all together. And for what should be celebrated as main entrances into the building, the doors in and out are now practically to the side and seem like back doors. As I was standing there, an older couple couldn't even figure out how they came in and where the doors were to get out. And they completely butchered what should have been a simple, naturally ADA accessible entrance off of Tryon Street. I can't fathom why they made something that worked and broke it.

Based on the material selections alone, I see this lobby getting renovated again within 5 years. Hopefully with more competence. 

Could not agree more, its like they saw BofA Plaza and said "I WANT THAT BUT MUCH CHEAPER" 

On 10/5/2018 at 12:25 PM, stw52 said:

Signs went up today showing CLT Find (https://www.cltfind.com/) taking the space next to Starbucks.  Looks like they are moving from the retail incubator at 7th St Market.  I was under the impression Starbucks was taking the space over and expanding until today..

Nothing has been finalized on the old McDonald's space but I would expect some whispers or rumors to leak soon (my info may be dated on this piece).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, EllAyyDub said:

Signs went up today showing CLT Find (https://www.cltfind.com/) taking the space next to Starbucks.  Looks like they are moving from the retail incubator at 7th St Market.  I was under the impression Starbucks was taking the space over and expanding until today..

Nothing has been finalized on the old McDonald's space but I would expect some whispers or rumors to leak soon (my info may be dated on this piece).

I, at one time, knew who was going in McDonald's and it wasn't all that exciting but I don't remember who it was. 

• Like 3