Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

2 related (?) things.  First, I have heard that the EV Charging stations in the parking lot across from Rock Bottom are being relocated into the TransAmerica parking garage.  Second, there appears to be carnival equipment now in that lot.  The ticket dispensers for that lot have been removed.  I know this is part of the Library, Spirit Square, Hall House development plan, but does anyone have anything concrete?

22 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I see faux white stone everywhere with faux wood accents and no meaningful improvements to the street level

johnny_carson_predictions.jpg

All I want to know is will I have to continue to wryly remark, “Here’s where they ran out of ideas”, when I have to walk out-of-Towners (I’m trying to impress with the Overstreet Mall) through a drafty, dingy parking garage ?

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article220857485.html

Hah, well, I at least got the white part. They went for gray accents instead of wood though.

All things being equal, I trust Redline to do a much better job with this than some of the other recent Uptown lobby renovations. Redline did the BAC Plaza renovation, which I think is one of the more successful ones in recent years.

• Like 1

Street level on College Street is a disaster!  The garage exit effectively eliminates any activity.  I actually spoke to the developer about this and he indicated that when the building was designed, getting out of the building by car was the primary consideration.  Yikes!

I can't find any information in the various topics (sorry if I missed)... but can anyone tell me what's going on in this area (along 5th St - near Graham)?  Specifically the two red squares, where there is now a mobile crane and other mobilization happening...  I do know the new police station is going behind the RR tracks (marked in Green) - I just see know information about those 2 other areas.  Thanks!

image.png.e4d5ac7b7d59a87c56b731b74245ff5c.png

Nothing to answer your question.

This map caught my eye as the land is bound by Wilkes Place. The Wilkes family was a prominent one in mid 19th century Charlotte. John Wilkes ran the Mecklenburg Iron Works, the major manufacturing business in the county, and which became the Confederate Naval Yard during the Civil War. Jane, his wife, was godmother to the Charlotte hospital movement. She has a statue on the greenway at Morehead and Harding Place, in sight of the hospital of today.

A search of John and Jane Wilkes brings forth lives of unusual achievement in the history of our town-becoming-city. Each may be searched for more information.

Wilkes Place must be an honor to this fine family..

17 minutes ago, UPEnergy said:

I can't find any information in the various topics (sorry if I missed)... but can anyone tell me what's going on in this area (along 5th St - near Graham)?  Specifically the two red squares, where there is now a mobile crane and other mobilization happening...  I do know the new police station is going behind the RR tracks (marked in Green) - I just see know information about those 2 other areas.  Thanks!

image.png.e4d5ac7b7d59a87c56b731b74245ff5c.png

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2018 at 9:12 PM, atlrvr said:

In fantastic Uptown retail news, there is a breaking announcement!!!

Starbucks is opening in the Home2Suites at Stonewall and Caldwell!!!

Ha! I think the fact that it's at Stonewall & Caldwell is more interesting than the fact it's a Starbucks.

• Like 2

Uptown Charlotte and Charlotte center city partners announces new ambassador program uptown.  

""Charlotte Center City Partners this week started an ambassador program aimed at helping the homeless and others in need find help while keeping a close watch on potential safety and security problems. The $735,000-a-year program is managed by a Louisville-based company that does similar work in 103 business improvement districts and neighborhoods.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/11/16/social-services-public-safety-part-of-new-program.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2018-11-16&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1542400659&j=85074461

• Like 4