Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Can anyone illuminate the history behind this structure, behind Saint Peter's on the Green (this is the building that houses Fuel Pizza, et al).

I never gave it much thought but realized it looks like it used to be a church hall or something.

(Posting other photos of the church properties because they're so beautiful even from a parking lot)

IMG_20181114_141301.jpg

IMG_20181114_141323.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 4

The victorian structure on the bottom photo is/was the rectory. The modern building was built as part of The Green and parking underground structure next to the church. There are some retail portions on the ground level and church functions and rooms elsewhere in the building (I believe). I have been in the church proper not in the other two buildings.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

The victorian structure on the bottom photo is/was the rectory. The modern building was built as part of The Green and parking underground structure next to the church. There are some retail portions on the ground level and church functions and rooms elsewhere in the building (I believe). I have been in the church proper not in the other two buildings.

Correct, St Peter's has some meeting rooms in the basement of that building.

On 11/16/2018 at 5:08 PM, KJHburg said:

Uptown Charlotte and Charlotte center city partners announces new ambassador program uptown.  

""Charlotte Center City Partners this week started an ambassador program aimed at helping the homeless and others in need find help while keeping a close watch on potential safety and security problems. The $735,000-a-year program is managed by a Louisville-based company that does similar work in 103 business improvement districts and neighborhoods.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/11/16/social-services-public-safety-part-of-new-program.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2018-11-16&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1542400659&j=85074461

Thanks for posting. I think this is a good thing. Aggressive panhandling has become much more of an issue in the past few years... but even more so in the past 12 months. I'd like to see a map though; 150 blocks sounds like most of center city, and I hope it includes all of the Wards. I'd like to know which MSDs received the tax increase, and what they're going to do with that other $250k from said tax increase.

• Like 3

That Midtown tower proposed by NAI I guess is still looking for a tenant to anchor it.

Here is an ad on Loopnet for it  http://looplink.srenc.com/xNet/Looplink/TmplEngine/ListingProfilePage.aspx?stid=naisouthernre&LID=11851108&LL=true&UOMListing=&UOMMoneyCurrency=&RentPer=PY&SRID=0&IP=false

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

Looks like the  convention center renovation approval just funded a rail trail bridge over Stonewall (but not the 277 rail trail bridge)

The renovation has been in the works since 2015. The project will add 93,000 square feet of space along Stonewall Street, including large windows in what’s now mostly a blank wall facing the sidewalk. Fifteen new meeting spaces with movable walls that can be further subdivided will be included. A pedestrian bridge across Stonewall Street will connect the center to the Novel apartment and retail development, as well as the Blue Line light-rail station and the 700-room Westin Hotel.

“This is a piece our planners have been asking us for basically since the building’s been open,” said Steve Bagwell, vice president of venues for the CRVA, at a City Council meeting earlier this month. “We think this will be almost like another main entrance we’re adding to the building.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article222196305.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Looks like the  convention center renovation approval just funded a rail trail bridge over Stonewall (but not the 277 rail trail bridge)
The renovation has been in the works since 2015. The project will add 93,000 square feet of space along Stonewall Street, including large windows in what’s now mostly a blank wall facing the sidewalk. Fifteen new meeting spaces with movable walls that can be further subdivided will be included. A pedestrian bridge across Stonewall Street will connect the center to the Novel apartment and retail development, as well as the Blue Line light-rail station and the 700-room Westin Hotel.

“This is a piece our planners have been asking us for basically since the building’s been open,” said Steve Bagwell, vice president of venues for the CRVA, at a City Council meeting earlier this month. “We think this will be almost like another main entrance we’re adding to the building.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article222196305.html

That’s a completely separate project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, CLTranspo said:

300 S Brevard is finally getting some (retail) tenants. Looks like some interesting ones too, I don’t think uptown has been able to say it has a jazz room for a while!

At least the building is coming back to life. When Stream bought the building and started renovations they found structural issues that was a serious setback for the project.

Excited to see what the Jazz Room will have to offer!

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 4