Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

15 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

I agree with you.  In time it should move. They just reno it ~2 years back and bump the walls out.  Does nothing for the urban environment.  In time I'm sure it will, but now with the recent reno prob talking 15+ years, idk. 

oh goodness No!! lol. welp. I guess I can say goodbye to real connectivity from the stonewall side to the side of Marshall park for Brooklyn Village. Just look at how in the way it is. lol 

https://brooklynvillage-clt.com/proposed-plan/#

Edited by j-man

TBD in my opinion if Brooklyn Village materializes.  If it does and it's built out in next 10 years yes this plot of land will be even more of a hindrance to the urban environment.  Flip side is the land would be more valuable and maybe make it easier for them to sell and move.  Interesting idea is maybe sell to a private developer and as part of the sale they get a new state of the art center as part of a new mixed use development. 

Edited by navigator319

7 minutes ago, j-man said:

oh goodness No!! lol. welp. I guess I can say goodbye to real connectivity from teh stonewall side to the side to Marshall park for Brooklyn Village. Just look at how in the way it is. lol 

https://brooklynvillage-clt.com/proposed-plan/#

The unfortunate truth is natatoriuns, especially county-owned ones, don’t tend to be the most beautiful venues from the outside. If it could be built aside, or even wrapped with another building that would help dramatically. These buildings have to house 50 meter pools with a bunch of deck space on at least 3 sides. 

2 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

TBD in my opinion if Brooklyn Village materializes.  If it does and it's built out in next 10 years yes this plot of land will be even more of a hindrance to the urban environment.  Flip side is the land would be more valuable and maybe make it easier for them to sell and move.  Interesting idea is maybe sell to a private developer and as part of the sale they get a new state of the are center as part of a new mixed use development. 

Does Peebles control the land yet ? Seems like there’s been a lot of foot-dragging. At this point, I’d like to see the city let fly and watch the precinct be developed piece-by-piece and more intensively, something on the order of what we’re seeing on Stonewall.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

TBD in my opinion if Brooklyn Village materializes.  If it does and it's built out in next 10 years yes this plot of land will be even more of a hindrance to the urban environment.  Flip side is the land would be more valuable and maybe make it easier for them to sell and move.  Interesting idea is maybe sell to a private developer and as part of the sale they get a new state of the art center as part of a new mixed use development. 

OR if we want to keep so much water Uptown lol. this would be the PERFECT location for an aquarium. It would be nice with nicely laid out landscape around the structure. 

3 minutes ago, j-man said:

OR if we want to keep so much water Uptown lol. this would be the PERFECT location for an aquarium. It would be nice with nicely laid out landscape around the structure. 

Nah demo the transit center when it's no longer needed -  not as far away as people may think - and put an attraction like aquarium or planetarium there as part of a MUD.

1 minute ago, navigator319 said:

Nah demo the transit center when it's no longer needed -  not as far away as people may think - and put an attraction like aquarium or planetarium there as part of a MUD.

that area is too congested for that. It would be practically under the light rail waiting for the train to crash into it and have uptown flooded.  But yeah that area where the transit center is by Spectrum Center would be better fit for the park with the ferris wheel that I want so badly for Charlotte. lol

2 minutes ago, j-man said:

that area is too congested for that. It would be practically under the light rail waiting for the train to crash into it and have uptown flooded.  But yeah that area where the transit center is by Spectrum Center would be better fit for the park with the ferris wheel that I want so badly for Charlotte. lol

Ah now I stopped agreeing with you. Your back to fending off the lions on your own.  :tw_tounge_wink:

I personally can't wait for the day that more High Rise development proliferates across 1st & 2nd Wards.  There's is so much unused land in both Wards its ridiculous.  Looking at Uptown from the sky most of the intense development is clustered around 3rd Ward.  

Also - I don't like the foot dragging on Brooklyn Village but hopefully once it does break ground (probably in next 2 years on 1st Phase) the developer is granted higher density (in office, residential & hospitality SF permitted) due to All the intense development of Stonewall Street (and CLT as a whole) pushing property values much higher.  Maybe the new values (to be released later this month) will cause Peebles to request  this sooner than later.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

I think the "overly dramatic" reaction comes from how you present some of your arguments on these threads.   For example, you stated the aquatic center is "the biggest waste uptown" that has "no components that benefit too much of anybody."    I know you don't mean to offend anyone but for the number of people who do use that place your statement comes off as offensive.  You're basically saying that not only is the aquatic center a waste of space but that the service it provides is a waste too and the people who use it are not important (again, i know you don't actually mean that but some people may read it that way).   Also remember that sometimes things get lost in translation on these forums and people may take something you say the wrong way, when that happens just try to reiterate your original point in a different way.  

Now regarding the aquatic center, I actually agree with you that the current set up isn't ideal for Uptown.   When the current aquatic center was built there wasn't much emphases at the time on good urban form and development on that side of town was nowhere what it is today.  Give it some time and I'm sure that the aquatic center will be redeveloped, hopefully with the aquatic center staying there but with better urban form and maybe a few other uses introduced in that location.  

I would also like to say welcome to UP @j-man.  It's always nice to have new people contribute to the forum and to hear their ideas. 

I can respect that. I have been following the Charlotte Forums for years, but now I feel as though I want to contribute my own opinions. When I said no components for pretty much anybody I was saying  like there is a small target group of people that go here, and its location isn't some prime place for this type of center in my opinion, and its a common crowd, not like a museum that would attrack a different crowd at any given time. I don't think the building is a waste, just how many acres this building took up and its not like its a tight fit for the land. you could literally build other building with all of the random grass area that surrounds it. That is all I am saying.  . Not trying to offend anyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

Fwiw, there was a plan pre-recession to relocate it adjacent to CPCC, where the Grady Cole center is.

and there have been plans to relocate it to Southend beside the Catholic Diocese 

CTC as we know it is dead. And it won't be relocated to any one site, it will be split up into multiple smaller facilities and will accommodate the push by CATS to get away from a centralized model.

That lot is in a nice little spot though, can't wait to see what will sprout there!

• Like 1

I loved the aquatic center and it’s location. I always went frequently. It’s a great asset IMO. 

Maybe when uptown gets more full might I change my mind it needs to go. But I love recreational activities. If not more so than an aquarium that cost $35 a visit per person vs. 8$ for Meck residents a month. (Though it would’ve been great to relocate the aquatic center by Rays Splash Planet and make it 1 facility)

Guessing you mean the Carolina Pipe & Foundry owned land.  I think there's a thread about Panther Stadium or New Panthers Stadium in here somewhere that talks ad nauseum about the likelihood CP&F would sell and that would be a potential site for a new stadium if that is the route David Tepper chooses to go over renovation. 

16 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Guessing you mean the Carolina Pipe & Foundry owned land.  I think there's a thread about Panther Stadium or New Panthers Stadium in here somewhere that talks ad nauseum about the likelihood CP&F would sell and that would be a potential site for a new stadium if that is the route David Tepper chooses to go over renovation. 

oh ok cool. Thanks

we talk about Levine sitting on land which of course Mecklenburg county has lots of land uptown.  But here is a another owner the NC RR company that owns keys lots that should be sold and developed.  I call this collection of photos Lots of Lots   Think of the infill highrises that could be built on these.  
they need to sell these for they are no use to the NC RR now or do a land lease on them so revenue more than parking fees could be received.  
1. lot behind 300 South Brevard to the LYNX behind the Hilton.  Ideal hotel site it across from the convention center.
2/4 huge block of surface parking along the LYNX
3. even this lot next to the Charlotte Plaza that I thought was owned by the owners of CP wrong it is owned by the NC RR too.   Ideal for residential or hotel tower next to the 3rd St LYNX station. 
IMG_8004.thumb.JPG.843bf1015dc3b77865f087d609b721d3.JPG
IMG_8064.thumb.JPG.2b65b49c25f185c2e5eafe05450236fc.JPG
459069340_IMG_8065(2).thumb.JPG.3d9d95b034300af9740012b0a0238844.JPG
IMG_8066.thumb.JPG.d68fcaefb1454bdb1abc3d0079abec43.JPG

A lot of these can be yours for an undisclosed one lease price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk