Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

On 12/19/2017 at 12:29 PM, Jayvee said:

Sabor is taking the space formally occupied by Tavolo at 6th and College. Holy crap.  

Not very exciting but construction signage up for Jimmy Johns going in beside Sabor on the corner of 6th and College.  Would have preferred a Viva Chicken here but still something is better than nothing.

Sabor looks ready but not open yet.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

So the retail space in the First Citizens building is done. I thought they were renovating the whole ground floor, but apparently it was just a space on the right side of the building. That said, it's one more retail space with a nice amount of room for tables adjacent to Tryon. Next time I'm over there I'll try to remember to grab a pic.

• Like 3

On 1/8/2019 at 12:04 PM, stw52 said:

Not very exciting but construction signage up for Jimmy Johns going in beside Sabor on the corner of 6th and College.  Would have preferred a Viva Chicken here but still something is better than nothing.

Sabor looks ready but not open yet.

I had been wanting to go to Viva Chicken for years.  My sister-in-law is Peruvian and has talked about it often.  When I was in Charlotte last month, finally I went to one with her (in Concord), and now I'm craving Viva Chicken!  I wish they were here in San Diego.  The food is fantastic!

• Like 3

Question: I was chatting with a representative of Wood Partners - who are building 25th St Station apartments on N Brevard St (Alta Warp + Weft), and just now breaking ground on the N Davidson St/Belmont Ave apts across from Birdson Brewery (Alta Pearl)...

They said Wood Partners is also building a community in Uptown? Anyone have any idea where this is? I can't find a rezoning or news article on one at all.

On 1/5/2019 at 7:05 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

That brutalist-ish building on McDowell St (across from Marshall Park) is getting a new entryway facade.

I was kind of hoping this would be demoed, but I guess a Jurassic Park gate is cool, too :rolleyes:

IMG_20190103_141656.jpg

I personally think that we should lose the "tear it down" attitude that many of us have about brutalist architecture. Mild improvements like this help, but a clean, well maintained brutalist building can be beautiful in it's own right. It's just unfortunate that one of the hallmarks of brutalist is a focus on open space around the structure. Even the FBI building in DC seems alien and uninviting (perhaps intentionally) despite it's dense urban location. Falling into this category of "tear it down" architecture is institutional style buildings (think of many of the old structures at UNCC, like Denny, or Kennedy) they have recently been undergoing cleaning and remodel and despite maintaining their 1960's facades, with a little fresh paint and some pressure washing, I find them rather beautiful. 

I'm rambling, but my point is, I think there is still an abundance of these buildings today, and as a result, when they get a little run down, we see them as disposable, but I'm willing to bet that much like art deco is sought after today, brutalist and institutional (or international style IE, more glass) will be missed down the road. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nakers2 said:

It's not just the architecture that is bad that makes people want it torn down. its the fact that it is a waste of so much space with the structure smack dab in the middle of the parcel and surface parking behind it. It's just like why bother? There could have  easily been 4 times the amount of office space there not even going taller than the building with a huge parking garage to go along with it. Just like that orange hotel next to it. Ugh. Just so much land for so little use. And really....how much longer would this building even be safe to be in..

40 minutes ago, Jasons0013 said:

Hey @ricky_davis_fan_21, a while back you gave the old :ph34r: emoji to the land beside The Vue across from the Harris Teeter.  Is this still :ph34r:?

I'd say its still :ph34r:. Probably will stay that way until next cycle. I think Market 42 or Maybe Polk will be our last apartment tower for a while. I'd imagine Lincoln Harris announces one in late 2019, after they announce a 3rd office building in the next month or two.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, j-man said:

I think next week's All Star Game will have a better impact on Charlotte than the Superbowl had to Atlanta. Not talking money, but more so interest, buzz, and most importantly overall satisfaction. 

and for god's sake, someone had better sing Sweet Victory

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'd say its still :ph34r:. Probably will stay that way until next cycle. I think Market 42 or Maybe Polk will be our last apartment tower for a while. I'd imagine Lincoln Harris announces one in late 2019, after they announce a 3rd office building in the next month or two.

Hmm ...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Missmylab4 said:

WF was turned down, they have to find space now. Lending Tree gets to keep the space or so I’ve heard. 

Wow that is really interesting.  Even Stream has removed the building from their site of available space.  Just like in residential real estate something can sit there for a long time then all of sudden everyone wants it! 

• Like 1