Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

For context, what do you mean WF was turned down?

That is disappointing to me. I would have preferred WF take the space so LendingTree could anchor something more prominent.

Seems like there are a bunch of developments out there looking for anchors, and I am starting to wonder if some of these South End locations (spectrum, Portman, common square, LoSo, etc.) don’t get built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

That is disappointing to me. I would have preferred WF take the space so LendingTree could anchor something more prominent.

Seems like there are a bunch of developments out there looking for anchors, and I am starting to wonder if some of these South End locations (spectrum, Portman, common square, LoSo, etc.) don’t get built.

Theres another 3 buildings after those mentioned above that haven't been announced too. So yea. Something isn't going to get built. 

1 minute ago, J-Rob said:

I think Spectrum will start regardless as will Common Square (smaller building can't take a huge tenant anyway).   But with BB&T Sun Trust establishing a tech center here it might go somewhere besides the corporate office.  Lowes is going to do a tech center, Honeywell in the hunt.   If Wells doesn't go in that space they will push and not renew people out of Duke Energy Center they own and cause more tenants to look. 

• Like 2

https://www.charlottecentercity.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Center-City-Development-Report-31-May-2018-For-web-UPDATED.pdf

Do yall ever look at this?  I always go back to view it to see all the developments that I have forgotten about. lol needs to be updated, but its the best I've seen that gives you a direct overview of what's going on in Charlotte development news.

Edited by j-man

Just now, Matthew.Brendan said:

Fantastic news! I’d love condos but would take a hotel or office. Wonder what they would do at ground floor. 

Too small for office, but I'd say hotel and residential fits back there nice and snug. Same size as Catalyst.

15 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Too small for office, but I'd say hotel and residential fits back there nice and snug. Same size as Catalyst.

Agree 100% hotel seems most likely because you can share parking with the office building and do something gritty that contrasts with the Kimpton next door.

• Like 1

Side Note....it was actually exciting to see online on websites like booking.com and Expedia how literally all the hotels in the city and surrounding towns are basically 99.8 %  booked for All Star week. And the ones that are left are  extremely high priced. lol That's great news for the hotels and all the new retail that's been popping up everywhere in the last few years (specifically uptown).  Unfortunately the traffic is going to be hell on Friday. But at least the air will smell like Food Truck Heaven! :tw_relieved: 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Watch out for the Digital Double Decker that I sent down there for Under Armour.  This weekend is going to be an experiential, OOH circus. You can already see it with Nike's MASSIVE OOH buy.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, j-man said:

Side Note....it was actually exciting to see online on websites like booking.com and Expedia how literally all the hotels in the city and surrounding towns are basically 99.8 %  booked for All Star week. And the ones that are left are  extremely high priced. lol That's great news for the hotels and all the new retail that's been popping up everywhere in the last few years (specifically uptown).  Unfortunately the traffic is going to be hell on Friday. But at least I the air will smell like Food Truck Heaven! :tw_relieved: 

The city has coordinated with Uptown employers to get people off the road. My office has around 1,500 people and we are shutting down the physical office at noon on Friday and most employees have been asked to work at home the entire day. I expect BofA, Duke, and Wells are going to do similar situations for most employees which should take many cars off the road in Uptown and open it up for visitors. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

The city has coordinated with Uptown employers to get people off the road. My office has around 1,500 people and we are shutting down the physical office at noon on Friday and most employees have been asked to work at home the entire day. I expect BofA, Duke, and Wells are going to do similar situations for most employees which should take many cars off the road in Uptown and open it up for visitors. 

Can confirm this is true for BOA.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Watch out for the Digital Double Decker that I sent down there for Under Armour.  This weekend is going to be an experiential, OOH circus. You can already see it with Nike's MASSIVE OOH buy.

Does the paparazzi travel to events like this seeing as though no city in the country will get this much coverage of so many celebs all together like this since yesterday's Grammy Awards? lol :huh: Or is it more media?

Edited by j-man

Sounds like Wells taking 300 S Brevard is 'official'.  New news to me his is they leaving some space in One Wells in the process...

Wells Fargo & Co. (NYSE: WFC) is nearing a deal to take the entire 360,000-square-foot 300 South Brevard building, at the corner of South Brevard Street and East Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, where it will house hundreds of bank employees, according to multiple real estate sources with knowledge of the deal. As part of that move, Wells is expected to vacate some of its space at One Wells Fargo Center, at 301 S. College St. — one block west of 300 South Brevard

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/02/12/uptown-real-estate-moves-on-deck-for-major-bank-in.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

Edited by navigator319
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 2/11/2019 at 11:49 AM, CLT2014 said:

Not us. My employer will have the doors open during the apocalypse. I'll be sure to let everyone know what traffic nightmares they are avoiding since I can't do the same.

More on Wells and their move into 300 South Brevard.

We have been saying this for a while but also in the article is this about Wells and DEC

""Recently, Wells Fargo has also been eyeing consolidation and expansion at Duke Energy Center, which the bank owns and where it moved its investment banking and capital markets group from One Wells in 2012. Construction permits with Mecklenburg County filed late last year on behalf of Wells Fargo indicate the bank was planning upfit work on the 33rd and 34th floors, where Barings and Cushman & Wakefield formerly had office space before both companies moved to 300 South Tryon. Other tenants at Duke Energy Center, like Deloitte, will exit the tower in the coming years as new space elsewhere comes online (Deloitte is anchoring the second office tower at Legacy Union).""

In terms of Wells exiting some space at One Wells Fargo (which they occupy about 686.xxx sq ft.)

""It was not immediately clear exactly how much space Wells would vacate or when the moves would occur. Sources have said Wells Fargo is not expected to exit the building entirely, but some have estimated it could vacate up to 300,000 square feet.""   Their super cheap lease is up at 1 WFC at end of 2021. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Over the past year, UP has mentioned multiple ideas to make Uptown more vibrant.  From an aquarium, zoo, gold musuem, etc. It's dawned on me what my idea is and it is piggybacking off this weekend. Seeing this city shine during big weekends like this and seeing the transformations the Mint and Epicentre have experienced. Why not embrace our the love, passion, and history this city for sports. Yes we are a banking city (proud of it), but I think people forget to realize the power of sports and the recognition it brings. NFL and NBA obviously has been a game changer in that regard for Charlotte, however, we host a ton of other sporting events and hopefully more to come. I think Charlotte is viewed as a sports city too and I think it would be Awesome if we could build on what the Mint Museum has done with the Nike Jordan HQ. Interactive gaming, basketball courts with analytics, custom made shirt station, shoe store. Idk the best location right now, maybe epicentre, LU, or entertainment district...but I think a Nike/Jordan "musuem" would be an awesome thing to have as an attraction. Not only would it be a store but have interactive sport exhibits (think a discovery place but for sports). Idk maybe I'm just overly excited of what actual shopping looks like uptown and dont want it to leave lol. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/playbooks-profits/2011/11/nike_portland_opens_friday_dow.html

I could see it happening. They did this a while back in Portland, and thinks weren't half as experiential as they are today

To some extent, the Hornets and team store are a Nike/Jordan "museum".   I like your idea though...  Seems like Hornets and/or Jordan brand could permanently occupy the space across the street in the Springhill Suites parking deck and doing something more expansive/permanent.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 2

Especially considering Micheal Jordan lives in Charlotte, you’d think it be more prominent. I think people underestimate Uptown’s ability to handle retail. I know I and at least 20 other of my millennial friends would take the train to the City to go to a store an H&M or a clothing store and spend the day in the City. Yes, Uptown isn’t Manhattan and nor will it ever be, but it’s not a small city anymore and I think it’s time to have a progressive mindset. 

• Like 1

Lol yeah I used the word musuem a little loosely. In addition to the store aspect, would be an experience or attraction. It would be more than just a store though, interactive exhibits and stuff. Could be cool I think...similar to that Portland one, which was described in the article as "half musuem, half marketing".

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2