Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

11 hours ago, GoldenEagle128 said:

Couldn't find a better fitting topic for this, but does anyone know anything about the new fire station that is going to be built on Clanton road and I-77? I know the city already has the land, not sure where exactly, but was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. Might be a stretch but possible renderings?

Side note the electric scooters in uptown are awesome!

Found this link  with some renderings and site layout : https://www.artsandscience.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/City-of-Charlotte-Fire-Station-43_RFQ_Revised-11_28_18.pdf

• Like 3

did you know this parking garage behind the Marriott and 101 Independence Center could be an office tower and has been advertised as such?  One day a high rise could rise on this old garage in the 2nd photo.   Of course the first photo needs no caption. 

IMG_2651.JPG

IMG_2652.JPG

• Like 4

I think you will see low density parking garages coming down in the future.  Land values are just too high to have sprawling garages like Duke's on S Mint.  You will see garages taller and bigger and this low rise garage behind 101 Independence and the Marriott will come down you can count on it.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think you will see low density parking garages coming down in the future.  Land values are just too high to have sprawling garages like Duke's on S Mint.  You will see garages taller and bigger and this low rise garage behind 101 Independence and the Marriott will come down you can count on it.  

Man, I sure hope you are right.

^^^ I get that but even a hotel would have been better a less expensive option uptown.  It is just so visible and blocks a wonderful view in my opinion.  

Here's an idea:  why don't more apartment developers build a floor of mini warehouse units in their garages?  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Fantastic. I can't wait to see what they come up with. It would really just be new glass and a pressure wash of the existing structure, pretty much yeah? 

From what I remember its a glassy bottom floor with updated retail, and maybe some more accents on the building, and new windows.

This from our frenemy  down south Atlanta a list of their spectacular high rises never built.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/maps/atlanta-skyscraper-tower-buildings-midtown-downtown-buckhead

But before you laugh too hard here are some of our never built high rises in Charlotte 

40 story 577 feet tall One Charlotte still on the Portman website 

https://www.portmanusa.com/en/projects/residential/one-charlotte/?lite_escape=1

other notable never builts in Charlotte would be the 1000 South Tryon office tower where apartments are rising,  the 1 Brevard high rise condo tower and of course the big daddy 4 First Union Tower 80 stories and over 1000 feet tall.  Also 300 South Tryon was originally proposed as a 30 something story building with condos and offices and when it got built it was a 25 story office tower (love it just noting it was proposed taller)

and there are more like the Burt Gellman space needle on N Tryon with restaurant on top.  I am sure I am missing many but it interesting to see plans.  

• Like 3

Just now, tozmervo said:

The list of proposed and unbuilt towers in Nashville is pretty impressive, too. I'm legit surprised no one has been able to break the 33-story record height of the batman building yet. 

Believe me when I say they are very sensitive to that over in Nashville as I mentioned once what it would take and I was pummeled about it LOL

Every city has a list of unbuilt mega high rises for sure. 

• Like 2