Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

9 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

The list of proposed and unbuilt towers in Nashville is pretty impressive, too. I'm legit surprised no one has been able to break the 33-story record height of the batman building yet. 

Theres like a bazillion more.

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This from our frenemy  down south Atlanta a list of their spectacular high rises never built.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/maps/atlanta-skyscraper-tower-buildings-midtown-downtown-buckhead

But before you laugh too hard here are some of our never built high rises in Charlotte 

40 story 577 feet tall One Charlotte still on the Portman website 

https://www.portmanusa.com/en/projects/residential/one-charlotte/?lite_escape=1

other notable never builts in Charlotte would be the 1000 South Tryon office tower where apartments are rising,  the 1 Brevard high rise condo tower and of course the big daddy 4 First Union Tower 80 stories and over 1000 feet tall.  Also 300 South Tryon was originally proposed as a 30 something story building with condos and offices and when it got built it was a 25 story office tower (love it just noting it was proposed taller)

and there are more like the Burt Gellman space needle on N Tryon with restaurant on top.  I am sure I am missing many but it interesting to see plans.  

Four First Union – 1114 Feet
InSpire Charlotte – 1000 feet
Trump Charlotte – 955 feet and 557 feet
210 Trade – 601 feet
Twelve Hotel and Residences – 517 feet 
Holton Square – The predecessor to Epicenter – 450 feet
3 iterations of 300 South Tryon
Citidan Twin Towers
Polk Building Twin Towers
That 25 floor time share that was misprinted as "52 floor timeshare." by the observer
in the 1980s Barclays America was going to build 2 or 3 towers
Concourse
Encore, Beekman which came before Belk Place

There was a 40 floor office tower, and condo towers planned where skyhouse and eventually 10 Tryon will be built.

gosh I could go on and on.

Edited by Guest

I sure hope this is true.  That would be great news. You may not know this, but is there already an agreement in place with a developer?  If so, I wonder if they have an anchor if the project already has a direction.  I am curious if this might be the Cousins property.

This crazy fantastic news if it pans out.

12 minutes ago, Seabrooke said:

Heard from a reliable source that the Charlotte Transportation Center uptown is being planned for redevelopment.

• Like 1

^If true, this is great!  If the city has to relocate the CTC during big events...means it needs to be relocated permanently.  I think CTC has a big affect on development in that area.  Maybe Moxy hotel knew something that we didn't know and that's why they still chose that location (bc the future is bright for that area).  With the proximity to the arena, could create a very cool area (LA Live-eque).  Lastly, if the owners of the Epicentre are serious about turning that place into retail (shopping), relocation of CTC is a big step towards a successful Epicentre/entertainment district (empty lots near Spectrum). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seabrooke said:

Heard from a reliable source that the Charlotte Transportation Center uptown is being planned for redevelopment. Transportation Center for buses will be moved somewhere off 7th and that a “parking deck with “high rises” will be built in its current location. Didn’t have further details than that

I hope the 7th St location is either temporary, or done in an extremely tiny foot print manner.

7th St stands to be one of the most important streets in Uptown in my mind, due to it's role in serving First Ward: the ward with the brightest future

Personally, I don't think there are any sites truly suitable for the needs of a bus transportation center along 7th street.  The only sites I find logical are in First Ward with proximity to Gateway Station, but these sites are generally smaller, narrower, or do not have streets that allow good circulation for buses IMO.

I'd rather tear down Levine's ruins that are nearer one of the proposed sites for the silver line where it will intersect the blue line and use that as a CTC type facility.

Edited by Sigma
  • Like 1

The CTC currently serves as the terminal for about 18 bus lines (down from about 23 pre-BLE), and certainly I can see that number dropping even further as more parts of the system are redesigned. The tricky part is that you still need the easy connection to the Blue Line, so sites adjacent to 7th or 9th street station make a lot of sense for that. Further if you want to maintain stop adjacency for the express bus lines, locating along College or Church is a bonus. 

Having said all that, I think any future "CTC" will be radically smaller and different from what we have today. It serves a purpose in minimizing connections for people that have to cross town, but there are other ways that can be done. Those connections existed before CTC, there was just a political decision to cluster it all together in one spot that also got all of "the bus people" off of Tryon. The CTC also has the benefit of providing excellent shelter for waiting on connections, restrooms, customer service, etc.

No doubt CTC is underutilizing its land, but the location is right. In addition to the LRT connection it also connects with the streetcar (which 7th won't.)

How about just putting in a *temporary facility* at 7th or the NCRR property on 3rd while they rebuild CTC as a mixed use development including high rises, more retail, and a new, somewhat smaller bus station on the 2nd floor or underground.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, orulz said:

No doubt CTC is underutilizing its land, but the location is right. In addition to the LRT connection it also connects with the streetcar (which 7th won't.)

How about just putting in a *temporary facility* at 7th or the NCRR property on 3rd while they rebuild CTC as a mixed use development including high rises, more retail, and a new, somewhat smaller bus station on the 2nd floor or underground.

I see this as being much more realistic. The city wouldn't just announce a secretly negotiated development for the CTC, too many factors involved for that to happen. 

But that being said, Uptown land isn't yet that expensive that someone would pay to move, demolish, and rebuild the CTC and have the project make sense. Also, don't look for CATS to spend money on a new CTC when they have many other funding priorities.

7 minutes ago, CLT> said:

I see this as being much more realistic. The city wouldn't just announce a secretly negotiated development for the CTC, too many factors involved for that to happen. 

But that being said, Uptown land isn't yet that expensive that someone would pay to move, demolish, and rebuild the CTC and have the project make sense. Also, don't look for CATS to spend money on a new CTC when they have many other funding priorities.

I'd imagine this would be similar to what they are doing in Raleigh Union Station. This is my design to go on top of the bus terminal by Union Station that I created as a "test" for a local development company.

image.thumb.png.ecd885dbf5d6196cd884a0cf394b4cc9.png

Awesome rendering for RUSBUS! What developer is that for, are they planning on submitting a proposal?

The Hargett Street railroad crossings will eventually be closed. The approach from Boylan Avenue is on top of a hill and would easily allow for a bridge over the tracks, but from West Street the ground is too low so it's not possible to rise high enough to clear the tracks.

Therefore, my suggestion is to allow for a bridge over the tracks connecting Boylan Avenue to the RUSBUS parking deck and 2nd floor bus depot. There should definitely be at least a pedestrian bridge, but maybe buses and perhaps cars too.

1 hour ago, orulz said:

Awesome rendering for RUSBUS! What developer is that for, are they planning on submitting a proposal?

The Hargett Street railroad crossings will eventually be closed. The approach from Boylan Avenue is on top of a hill and would easily allow for a bridge over the tracks, but from West Street the ground is too low so it's not possible to rise high enough to clear the tracks.

Therefore, my suggestion is to allow for a bridge over the tracks connecting Boylan Avenue to the RUSBUS parking deck and 2nd floor bus depot. There should definitely be at least a pedestrian bridge, but maybe buses and perhaps cars too.

I applied to a job at The Spectrum Cos., and created a whole fake bid for the project as a Hail Mary. In the end they determined I was "way too experienced" for what they were looking for. 

14 hours ago, mpretori said:

I'm pretty sure he moved on from that idea and invested in Mooresville's golf course.  Would be nice to see those towers built though. 

His son has spoke numerous times since the golf course about another Charlotte property, Uptown in specific. 

6 minutes ago, Dandy Chiggens said:

Its not random.  I have a special algorithm.  Besides, my vote down to post ratio is absurd and I am not complaining.  

Fair enough. Maybe it's not random but it's a little ridiculous and completely unnecessary bringing so much negativity to this forum. I mean come on dude:

Screenshot_20190419-212432.thumb.png.f71768f5e2cda84c10a0e63a46479a09.png

• Like 1