atlrvr

Misc. Uptown Projects/News

Post only miscellaneous topics here   77 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3953 posts in this topic

The Coyote Ugly building at College & 9th has been getting worked on for the week or two. First it was a fresh coat of white paint (on the 9th facing side) and today a new awning with wood pillars was installed. Not sure what's going in there, but given the looks of the awning and patio I would assume its another bar or restaurant.

The Coyote Ugly building at College & 9th has been getting worked on for the week or two. First it was a fresh coat of white paint (on the 9th facing side) and today a new awning with wood pillars was installed. Not sure what's going in there, but given the looks of the awning and patio I would assume its another bar or restaurant.

Luna Lounge is going there. It is owned by the same people as Kiss Lounge and The Sunset Club

Luna Lounge is going there. It is owned by the same people as Kiss Lounge and The Sunset Club

ok. should i be excited about this? after all, they'll be my new neighbor. i'm not the least bit concerned about noise though, i never really heard anything from coyote ugly. what are sunset and kiss' reputations? i saw a hookah pic on kiss' website and would certainly welcome another hookah spot uptown :)

they have a myspace up that has a may 2009 date, but talks as if its been open for a while and already has a reputation, lol

This is interesting. The end of this article mentions that if 5/3 can lease its space in the University area, it would like to move Uptown and put its name on the building.

5/3 Moving Uptown?

Interesting that 5/3 is wanting to move uptown. I suppose that want more recognition with having their name on a building?

They've been wanting to move Uptown for at least 2 years, back when they were still independent as 1st Charter. It has also been rumored both in the press and elsewhere, that they would anchor the proposed office tower at 631 N Tryon (where the Renaissance Apts were). Obviously with lots of empty space coming online, I'm not sure they wouldn't move into an existing building, but like the article says they either need to sell or lease their current HQ.

Yes, I can confirm that. My girlfriend worked for FC before the acquisition and she said they were looking to move uptown before the 5/3 thing ever happened.

There had been a topic that discussed the installation of art/statues/markers on the S. Tryon & 277 bridge...

Here's a rendering. It's fine. A little too modern for my taste, but that's sheik now.

thingp.jpg

Edited by The Escapists

^laaame. i think a modern approach is appropriate here, but this is just a very clunky amateurish design. it would benefit from just removing an element or two, but even then, for a 'signature' sculpture for the city there is no concept, no reference, no relevance, and nowhere near enough elegance to get by on aesthetics alone.

also, i'm not sure exactly what kind of material the clear parts are, but i imagine they'll start to look dirty and aged very very quickly.

Edited by nonillogical

Ehhhh....I prefer my giant piggybanks.....as nonillogical said, there is no reference or relanvence for these pieces in this location.

Sad news - Charlotte has lost one of its most iconic institutions. It looks like the Ascot Inn and its heart-shaped jacuzzi will no longer be providing respite for party goers at the Uptown Cabaret. Farewell, Ascot. I'm sure a nice gravel parking lot will alight your land before too long.

Sad news - Charlotte has lost one of its most iconic institutions. It looks like the Ascot Inn and its heart-shaped jacuzzi will no longer be providing respite for party goers at the Uptown Cabaret. Farewell, Ascot. I'm sure a nice gravel parking lot will alight your land before too long.

Is it being torn down?

Not yet, but it has been boarded up and vacated. I doubt the building will last long.

Terrible news! I lost my virginity in their parking lot!

Ummm..... a bit of an overshare there lewy...

Yeah, I'm not sad to see this thing go, but I'd love to see something built out there rather than another gravel lot. Maybe they could put a few parcels together and build a baseball stadium.

One down (Ascot Inn), one to go (Uptown Cabaret)!

Cabaret is not going anywhere.

One down (Ascot Inn), one to go (Uptown Cabaret)!

Uptown Cabaret is best adult entertainment in the city. In fact, they are expanding. :yahoo:

Uptown Cabaret is best adult entertainment in the city. In fact, they are expanding. :yahoo:

Funniest thing I saw was when I was walking back home from the Panthers MNF game, the line of people going into Uptown Caberet at midnight on a Monday. The line was all the way to the Ascot Inn.... Nothing like a good lap dance after a Panther win.

Edited by dbull75

Funniest thing I saw was when I was walking back home from the Panthers MNF game, the line of people going into Uptown Caberet at midnight on a Monday. The line was all the way to the Ascot Inn.... Nothing like a good lap dance after a Panther win.

They have some good promotions on game nights. Also, it is the only time they bend the dress code and allowed sports attire. Plus, you can't beat the best 2am breakfast buffet in the city!

I'd like a mini Stonehenge...

Nah they already got that in Ballantyne, at 521 and Ballytown Commons

Hah, I didn't even realize that's where it was.

^yeah i'm not sure how close to being done they are. the stonework looks good, but the wood is kind of crappy and poorly stained. looks like it needs a coat of finish still or something. i think they've made it look more like a casual restaurant than what is supposed to be a pretty high-end club.

i'm really happy to see anything starting to creep up N. College (these are my new neighbors, after all), but i'm betting their business model will change to more of a typical bar eventually.