Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

SpringHill Suites at Center City Green is moving forward and I wanted to show what the company did by my office in midtown manhattan. I suspect this will be the sort of aesthetic we see in Uptown. Which would be a nice addition at 18 floors. 

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x89c259aa3da4dcef:0x6c3d8fb50a70a0c2!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e1!4shttps://plus.google.com/113074197356329415057/photos?hl%3Den%26socfid%3Dweb:lu:kp:placepageimage%26socpid%3D1!5sSpringhill+Suites+Manhattan+-+Google+Search&sa=X&ei=HW4tVN2gKIy_sQTzh4GoCg&ved=0CJgBEKIqMAo

SpringHill Suites at Center City Green is moving forward and I wanted to show what the company did by my office in midtown manhattan. I suspect this will be the sort of aesthetic we see in Uptown. Which would be a nice addition at 18 floors. 

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x89c259aa3da4dcef:0x6c3d8fb50a70a0c2!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e1!4shttps://plus.google.com/113074197356329415057/photos?hl%3Den%26socfid%3Dweb:lu:kp:placepageimage%26socpid%3D1!5sSpringhill+Suites+Manhattan+-+Google+Search&sa=X&ei=HW4tVN2gKIy_sQTzh4GoCg&ved=0CJgBEKIqMAo

That is great news!! This is the one going on that weird triangle plot of land right?? And I didn't know it was going to be 18 floors, that is awesome.

Piano's were put around uptown for people to play. Love this idea, and it is a cool art thing that I would love to see the city do more of. Hopefully it is successful and not taken advantage of.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/10/02/piano-parking-encourages-impromptu-musical.html

I LOVE these types of ideas. Simple, cheap and impactful! Well done CLT. I'd love to see more ideas like this come to fruition.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/10/trinity-capital-planning-14-story-office-building.html

Well, there goes my parking space!  At least not for 15 months "if" they sign a tenant.  So how does this affect the proposed tower across from the Observer now?  Too bad this couldn't be within the 277 loop, but it just continues the spread towards Southend.

It's being discussed in the SouthEnd thread.

I too wish it were in the Uptown Loop but on the bright side this could fill a void for cheaper market space in center city (maybe) that could've otherwise chose an alternate to uptown.

Maybe I'm overestimating the cost of building outside 277.

It adds more people to SouthEnd and hopefully will blue (pedestrian) traffic between the two neighborhoods.

I don't know how many people know this but Connellys is expanding their building and adding a rooftop deck. Its not quite common knowledge but its out there. 

What people almost definitely don't know is… A company is going to build a 3 floor retail building in the space where its current outdoor patio and the alleyway is.

East 5th Street Retail
Construct a new 13,177 SF 3-story building and widen the sidewalk along the north side of East 5th Street to make it more pedestrian friendly and safer.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.22755,-80.8414198,3a,75y,9.98h,86.35t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s0B1Gm7H47BfgktNj8ETq5Q!2e0

I find this pretty damn cool, because honestly, true urban, small scale infill happens practically never in downtown Charlotte. The only place I can think of is the place that was above tic doc diner. 

This project is being done by Bianco of NY, the company that managed and developed Shoppes at Iveys (which is obviously no more)

I believe this was talked about a few pages back, but I can not wait for this to get going. Do you know what kind of timeline we are looking at? I think it was mentioned that connelly's is going to have a rooftop patio instead of ground floor now. Honestly, they still need a patio, it's the only reason to go to that place.

I believe this was talked about a few pages back, but I can not wait for this to get going. Do you know what kind of timeline we are looking at? I think it was mentioned that connelly's is going to have a rooftop patio instead of ground floor now. Honestly, they still need a patio, it's the only reason to go to that place.

It was mentioned by ATLRVR, but at that time it was a 6500 sq foot project, now it's 13k sq feet. Worth the update :-)

So RDF, do you think we may be nearing a tipping point where small scale infill projects might become a little more common here? With more and more talk of lobby rerofits and squeezing hotels onto extremely small lots (Center City Green) I certainly hope so.

This project really is very unique for Charlotte.

Honestly, we should be at that tipping point, based on similar, even smaller markets like Nashville, Greenville and Richmond. However people seem obsessed with assembling land for massive projects instead. This might be a land price issue, where you can get more bang for your buck on a larger investment.

I think the smaller infill projects are what will shape our established inner ring neighborhoods, especially Plaza, Noda, And Dilworth.

There will also be projects like that in southend, like southend 36, there are 4 or 5 townhome projects under construction or in development.

So in short, I wouldn't hold your breath for more projects like this downtown. We seem to lack the vision here :-(.

I was creep staring through the window of the old Fox and Hound on Tryon and it looks like the reno work is well under way there for the new Duckworths.  I'm REALLY looking forward to this place, so I'm glad to see it is moving forward.  From what I could see, they have gutted the interior completely.  If I can find my bucket hat and binoculars, I'll get you better info this weekend.

• Like 4

I was creep staring through the window of the old Fox and Hound on Tryon and it looks like the reno work is well under way there for the new Duckworths.  I'm REALLY looking forward to this place, so I'm glad to see it is moving forward.  From what I could see, they have gutted the interior completely.  If I can find my bucket hat and binoculars, I'll get you better info this weekend.

I was peeking in there also. It looks like they're done with demo and structural stuff and about to start refit? Can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

This project really is very unique for Charlotte.

Honestly, we should be at that tipping point, based on similar, even smaller markets like Nashville, Greenville and Richmond. However people seem obsessed with assembling land for massive projects instead. This might be a land price issue, where you can get more bang for your buck on a larger investment.

I think the smaller infill projects are what will shape our established inner ring neighborhoods, especially Plaza, Noda, And Dilworth.

There will also be projects like that in southend, like southend 36, there are 4 or 5 townhome projects under construction or in development.

So in short, I wouldn't hold your breath for more projects like this downtown. We seem to lack the vision here :-(.

Infill projects tend to happen where space is limited. Uptown has boatloads of empty and underdeveloped land, and since there isn't a concentration of retail like Nashville or Greenville, there isn't a perception of existing space that is under used.

If Charlotte can somehow get all of the skyscraper lobbies to install retail space similar to BofA Plaza, we might get somewhere with creative infill.

Infill projects tend to happen where space is limited. Uptown has boatloads of empty and underdeveloped land, and since there isn't a concentration of retail like Nashville or Greenville, there isn't a perception of existing space that is under used.

If Charlotte can somehow get all of the skyscraper lobbies to install retail space similar to BofA Plaza, we might get somewhere with creative infill.

If BofA Plaza ever gets going....

meanwhile in competitive submarkets:

The Bissell Cos. is looking at starting not one but two new speculative office buildings at Ballantyne Corporate Park, with construction likely to begin sometime next year

ugh. Somebody please make it stop......

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/10/bissell-looking-at-starting-two-new-office.html?ana=e_clt_bn_newsalert&u=jDmEk+CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1414167559

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if they finally break out of their architecture and expose the retail or if they strike some balance.  I suppose it is theoretically possible to keep the building looking like a a crystaline structure all the way to the ground, but simply swap for transparent glass a signage or even marquis signage.

Ale House is an example of exposing that type of architecture to the street life without really disrupting the design of the structure.

C8KzcQH4Jsro3o.jpg

I am pretty sure this would be considered Misc Uptown news......who knows though  :ermm:  the 330 S Tryon building is looking to do some renovations to keep the Chamber as a tenant.

This all sounds nice: "The proposed renovations at the uptown office building would include the installation of a new 14-foot curtain wall, or outer skin, at the street level of the building, as well as an expanded exterior patio with flamed granite pavers and a glass guardrail system, according to real estate records."

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/10/grubb-properties-discussing-renovations-at-330.html