Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

There was information from Mariott on their quarterly earnings call that they would start renovation on the City Center Mariott in March 2015, and it would be a 7-8 month project.  There was a few specifics such as getting a new bar (i think they called it M Bar) which would be centrally located in the middle of the atrium.  There was no speciific mention to of exterior renovations, though I do think they are updating the bottom 2 floor exterior facades.

The specifically continued to refer to it as a Mariott (as opposed to a JW) and that it would be the corporate model for developers and franchisees to come see the new themes they want to roll out company wide.  Shortly after they finish the renovations, they will sell it to a franchisee (Mariott rarely owns their own hotels).

Based on the discussion, I'm 95% certain this will not be a re-brand. 

I think that's fine, as it allows for a JW on a new development site, (Tryon Place, over the Mint, adjacent to Charlotte Plaza, etc)  I do think Charlotte is on the verge of a W, JW, Loews,  or Grand Hyatt, etc) though I have no specific information.

• Like 1

I kept forgetting to write this but Celebs has been closed for several weeks now.  The owners of the Mint must be so happy. 

As a future resident of the Mint, I can say I am really happy.

Do you think it's closed cause of the construction, or just closed for good? It never seemed busy and I doubt any business like that can handle being closed for a few weeks. The food there was gross anyway, and it's just a shame it didn't close sooner and Spectrum could have done something with the property and/or incorporated it to the Mint.

Based on the discussion, I'm 95% certain this will not be a re-brand. 

I think that's fine, as it allows for a JW on a new development site, (Tryon Place, over the Mint, adjacent to Charlotte Plaza, etc)  I do think Charlotte is on the verge of a W, JW, Loews,  or Grand Hyatt, etc) though I have no specific information.

I agree that I would rather them put one on a different site. The architecture of the new JW in Austin is pretty sweet and I would love to see us get a new property for it. The renovations to the existing property sound nice, the center bar will be cool.

Edited by Jayvee

There was information from Mariott on their quarterly earnings call that they would start renovation on the City Center Mariott in March 2015, and it would be a 7-8 month project.  There was a few specifics such as getting a new bar (i think they called it M Bar) which would be centrally located in the middle of the atrium.  There was no speciific mention to of exterior renovations, though I do think they are updating the bottom 2 floor exterior facades.

Here is the quotes with most of the details (they also separately mentioned the renovations will cost $35mm)

The hotel will incorporate the new M Club Lounge on the first floor, address

in-room dining with more grab-and-go outlets, centrally locate the bar to

activate the lobby, offer a state-of-the-art fitness center and showcase the

new Marriott Hotels guest room. And new marketplace for locally sourced

products, as well as other food and beverage concepts will connect the hotel

with the local the community. Construction is scheduled to begin in March and

we anticipate completion in late November 2015.

I was in Raleigh yesterday.  I've got to say, they are beating our pants off in regards to interesting and unique destinations downtown.  I was stunned by their street level activity, the amount of retail they are now offering and the number of non-chain restaurants/bars/coffee shops.  It seemed like nearly every retail space was either something unique, or under development to become something cool.

What is Charlotte doing wrong that it can't replicate its neighbors (Raleigh, Greenville, Asheville) downtown success???

I was in Raleigh yesterday. I've got to say, they are beating our pants off in regards to interesting and unique destinations downtown. I was stunned by their street level activity, the amount of retail they are now offering and the number of non-chain restaurants/bars/coffee shops. It seemed like nearly every retail space was either something unique, or under development to become something cool.

What is Charlotte doing wrong that it can't replicate its neighbors (Raleigh, Greenville, Asheville) downtown success???

Well, in the middle of 1960s and 1970s a phenomenon called urban renewal took place in Charlotte. Urban Renewal was somewhat of a misnomer as there was nothing "urban" (it was actually quite suburban) or "renewal" (i.e. older buildings were razed rather than renewed) about it. This left vast swaths of land open which in the 1980s and 1990s became the kingdoms of two very large egos and their financial behemoths. This led to the construction of many new iconic buildings which had almost no street presence, a trend that continued into the 2000s. As a consequence of supply and demand, land became more scarce and the price of said land went skyward resulting in astronomical rents. Since soft good retailers simply do not make the money that was required to be profitable in the high rent district, any retail space available was swallowed up by restaurants, bars, etc. Between lobbies and restaurants, there is little space available to create a true window shopping district leaving soft goods retailers unable to attain the critical mass that makes them successful. In short, "The rent is too damn high".

rent1.jpg

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

Further, in the Observer's feature on Uptown development this morning, Grubb poses the question, "Why has it taken so long ?"

It appears to be happening, but why has Uptown been a laggard ?

More interesting to me is they said developers were interested Iherd the parcels between Gantt museum & the Church.

I bet developers are interested in long term prospects.

I've always wanted to see an aquarium go here with hotel & office. Dream or fantasize migh be a better wire than want though

I don't know why, but it felt so much more prevalent to me than previously.  Charlotte feels so sterile in comparison to Raleigh now.  I was really impressed with what they are doing.  And they are absolutely whipping our fannies in terms of "interesting" street level variety.  For every Starbucks or Hickory Tavern, they had a local coffee shop or even just little clothing store.

Just a note that they have finally changed the traffic flow at Johnson & Wales Way. The new design is now open, and I imagine they will begin work on pulling up the old road.  I do wonder what will become of that extra land now...

I guess the only real option is for redevelopment or minor expansion of the Doubletree.     It wasn't really about opening the land up, but I guess in the long term it makes the land more developable rather than trapped in an oversized median.      It is one of the last set of curvy connector streets.   I sure hope transportation engineers get over their obsession with curved roads.  Cars can make angular turns, especially uptown where long term development options are important.  

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/epm/Projects/Transportation/Roads/Documents/JWW-4th_Rendering%20on%20Aerial_7-16-12.pdf

^ I noticed he has many fewer hotels on his map....

Does he know more than us or less than us?

Less than us. The hotels he is missing are in permitting and moving forward. 

Edited by Guest

Less than us. The hotels he is missing are in permitting and moving forward. 

Speaking of hotels does anyone have any information regarding plans, brands, and timelines with respect to the following hotel projects:

1.  Spectrum hotel at 300 S. Tryon

2.  Crescent hotel at the Tryon/Stonewall site

3.  Crescent hotel at the second Stonewall site (rumored Hyatt Regency)

4.  Rumored Loews hotel

5.  Iveys boutique hotel

6.  Levine hotel at Midtown (so I know what will not get built)

???

Any insight would be appreciated.

Noticed an industrial extension cord going into the space under Omni (where the fountains are) and there were lights on in there. How big is that space and does anyone know of anything going on? Could it be the restaurant that was announced almost a year ago? lol

That restaurant was scrapped in favor of a complete overhaul of the Omni and Bank of America Plaza base.

Bank of America Plaza - Retail Base Redesign

• Detailed Scope of Work: Existing BOA Plaza Office Tower (NCNB Tower)Base Floor retail redesign to bring in restaurant and retail tenants. Scope includes possible lower 2-3 floor redesign and new facade to create building base, New Lobby/Building Entry, as well as new restaurant/retail entries, seating areas etc. Potential Plaza redesign. • Additional Comments: - We would like to have Real Estate Department scheduled for representation as part of the meeting as the plaza includes City owned property.

Edited by Guest