Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

While I avoid Overstreet like the plague, it would be at least nice for them to enclose that section through their deck both toward Vapiano/Dean Deluca and toward 2 WF.  

Regardless it is still good when a Winston company does something other than wither and die.  That poor city has had so many moments of greatness only to fade with the times (RJR, Hanes, Krispy Kreme, Wachovia).  BB&T is their primary corporate success story at this point.  

I would call BB&T a WILSON success story. Winston-Salem just got lucky and got the HQ's from Wilson.

• Like 1

So this happened today on the Land Use site for a pre-submittal meeting:

So that's something.

Looks like this is a boutique brand from the Kessler Collection.  The Grand Bohemian in Orlando seems to be the only mid-high-rise urban concept they have..

One thing that is very interesting to me about this announcement, and I'm not sure if anyone else has been thinking about this... but... Homewood Suites is very bullish about opening a Uptown Charlotte hotel. This makes me think Homewood Suites will be partnering with one of the projects that includes hotel rooms, which would be kind of disappointing in my opinion.

I would call BB&T a WILSON success story. Winston-Salem just got lucky and got the HQ's from Wilson.

Well, y'know, banks merge and the dominant merger partner gets the HQ.   In the end it was Winston in the case of BB&T, and not Winston in the case of First Union and then Wells Fargo mergers.  But if you're looking at bank ancestry, then it's also a Lumberton and Gastonia success story :).

Looks like this is a boutique brand from the Kessler Collection.  The Grand Bohemian in Orlando seems to be the only mid-high-rise urban concept they have..

Grand Bohemian would seem a far more appropriate brand for Trade and Church.   I'd be happy with a design like the Orlando one you mention.   Much better than what I would expect would be built for a Homewood Suites brand.   

It would be nice if we end up more with a hotel brand whose visitors eat dinner at Morton's rather than Hooters.  

Could it be that Homewood Suites is looking at Center City Green?  The hotel is proposed as very few rooms, I think 150, which seems plausible for that site.  Then again, I doubt they are signing on to any of the larger hotel developments like Crescent.  Or maybe they are looking at 300 South Tryon hotel proposal...8-10 stories, again about 150-ish rooms probably.

Could it be that Homewood Suites is looking at Center City Green? The hotel is proposed as very few rooms, I think 150, which seems plausible for that site. Then again, I doubt they are signing on to any of the larger hotel developments like Crescent. Or maybe they are looking at 300 South Tryon hotel proposal...8-10 stories, again about 150-ish rooms probably.

No they won't be at center city green, that's confirmed to be a SpringHill Suites. But then again homewood was confirmed for the Bohemian site.

300 South Tryon is promising 200+ boutique hotel rooms, but I suppose if they priced were right they'd be okay with home wood. I just think it'd be a shame for home wood to have park frontage. There really should be a W or something more boutique there.

It could also be at the Knights stadium...

Edited by Guest

In today's CBJ, there is an article discussing center city office development. In that piece there is reference to the 3 projects we know of (300 South Tryon, Tryon Place and Portman's tower) on South Tryon. However, there is this: "Three office buildings are poised to break ground next year on or near South Tryon street, bringing roughly 1.7 million square feet of space to the market, and two more projects are in the works." Anyone in the know about these other two projects? 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2014/11/21/playing-catch-up-along-north-tryon.html?page=all

In today's CBJ, there is an article discussing center city office development. In that piece there is reference to the 3 projects we know of (300 South Tryon, Tryon Place and Portman's tower) on South Tryon. However, there is this: "Three office buildings are poised to break ground next year on or near South Tryon street, bringing roughly 1.7 million square feet of space to the market, and two more projects are in the works." Anyone in the know about these other two projects? 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2014/11/21/playing-catch-up-along-north-tryon.html?page=all

I don't think he is referring to South Tryon for those. I assume he means Trinity's project, and the office possibly on N Tryon in the Skyhouse plot.

Edited by Jayvee

If I had to guess, I would say it is referring to Tryon Place and Portman. ":on or near South Tryon" I am assuming they more or less are referencing the area rather than addresses.

Tryon Place and Portman are two of the three, 300 South Tryon being the other, that are breaking ground next year. The statement in the article seems to imply that there are two (new or other) ones in the works. 

Random question and wasn't sure where to put it. But since it relates to various uptown projects I will put it here.

For those more familiar with Accela than I, what determines when a pdf or plans or whatever becomes viewable to everyone. I noticed both 210 hotel and the Springhill as well as the building on 5th St by Connellys all have plans submitted but they are not hyperlinks just text boxes. What determines when they can be selected, and can anyone do it? I would love to see the plans for those projects.

The crane is up at the Embassy Hotel site.

1st Ward Park is chugging along and they have the entire site to the east of it fenced up (is this for staging? Or for the apartments?)

Mint is essentially completed its framing. Coming south on Graham, it actually looks pretty imposing as you drive up the hill towards trade. That corridor is going to feel super dense after Woodfield is done.

Fountains looks gigantic from 277. Not height wise, but the footprint seems much larger than I thought. It's also near completion on the framing.

Scout team: over and out.

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 1

Random question and wasn't sure where to put it. But since it relates to various uptown projects I will put it here.

For those more familiar with Accela than I, what determines when a pdf or plans or whatever becomes viewable to everyone. I noticed both 210 hotel and the Springhill as well as the building on 5th St by Connellys all have plans submitted but they are not hyperlinks just text boxes. What determines when they can be selected, and can anyone do it? I would love to see the plans for those projects.

They don't post the .pdf until the FINAL set of plans are approved.  You can see most projects have multiple review cycles. 210 Hotel and Springhill are still in the review process, so they public can't see them yet.

• Like 1

I'm still hopeful that Grubb will tear down the parking deck on the back of the Chamber building, and partner with an apartment developer who will podium park it.  Novare is doing this with a couple of Atlanta projects, so its possible they already have a template. 

The park frontage and proximity to Tryon St, I would think, should make it the highest premium development spot.

The parking deck has 280 spots, and at $15k spot, a cost of $4.2mm to fully replace all the spots.  The parking deck, takes up 0.55 acres on the lot, indicating the "land cost" at $7.6mm/acre, which is a little high, HOWEVER, if they share 70 spaces (25% of the office building spaces or roughly 20% of the multi-family), that would reduce costs by $1.05mm, making their land cost a more reasonable $5.7mm/acre.

The biggest hassle would be parking for the Chamber building while the new deck is under construction.

Maybe we aren't there yet in terms of exhuasting easy-to-develop sites, but this sure would be a winner.

• Like 1

To continue our conversation about the Charlotte Chamber and Amelie's, CO has an article and renderings:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/12/01/5352820/charlotte-chamber-to-renovate.html#.VHxheqTF_mY

Wait...

There's a 10,000 sq foot 2 floor retail space with an entrance on MLK??? where??

"We have a couple of national (restaurant) groups that aren’t in the Charlotte market taking a look at it,” said Jonathan Nance, a senior vice president with the firm. “We feel pretty good that we’ll have something finalized in the near future.”

Oh joy, another chain restaurant.

Edited by Guest

Wait...

There's a 10,000 sq foot 2 floor retail space with an entrance on MLK??? where??

Oh joy, another chain restaurant.

So they kick out local based Amelie's and will likely replace with a chain (that doesn't have a Charlotte presence)??? WTF? Well done, Charlotte Chamber. 

• Like 1

Only place I'd be happy with that's a national chain

http://www.hofbrauhaus.us/

But it doesn't seem like their style to retrofit a space in an office tower, even in downtown Cleveland they built their own one story location.

Where that ones located: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hofbr%C3%A4uhaus+Cleveland/@41.502896,-81.681093,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x979a8530ca0f7d91

What they typically build: http://www.hofbrauhaus.us/restaurants-and-brewpubs/

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

Only place I'd be happy with that's a national chain

http://www.hofbrauhaus.us/

But it doesn't seem like their style to retrofit a space in an office tower, even in downtown Cleveland they built their own one story location.

Where that ones located: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hofbr%C3%A4uhaus+Cleveland/@41.502896,-81.681093,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x979a8530ca0f7d91

What they typically build: http://www.hofbrauhaus.us/restaurants-and-brewpubs/

The one in Cleveland is awesome, and while I agree I would LOVE to see one down here, it will not happen at this location. They need way way way more space, inside and outside.

So they kick out local based Amelie's and will likely replace with a chain (that doesn't have a Charlotte presence)??? WTF? Well done, Charlotte Chamber. 

10k is a big space for any restaurant. I wonder who would be interested in a space that large in downtown charlotte. 

What Uptown doesn't have is a really good Chinese/Asian Fusion type place...there are a million sushi places, but something along the lines of Tao or The General in NY would work well I think....both are very popular with not stuffy business dinners and also big groups of people before heading out.