Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

On 5/4/2016 at 1:17 PM, alb1no panther said:

ANYTHING to drag business away from Carolina Ale House.  That place needs new ownership and a new concept ASAP.  I imagine the steep grade of the land would make it a bit more expensive to build-in retail space, but it would definitely add a lot of character to that corridor.

Just to be clear, this is what you're talking about, right:

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 1.14.31 PM.png

I could see a Sundries shop doing very well there at the bottom corner.  There's a ton of foot traffic but it's too hectic with automobile traffic to be a desirable restaurant.  Maybe add a coffee shop more toward the middle.  Little shops like that I think would be a success.  Now if the decks at church & MLK/3rd/4th would go ahead and convert, maybe that will prompt movement everywhere else.

I dunno... that would really ruin the aesthetic created by the Epicenter.

• Like 3

pre submittal has been filed for "Dillinger's" where that place used to be at Church & 6th (Stool Pigeon's for the old timers). I really hope they just named it because its what they're referring to the space as, rather than a revival of that crappy place. Hood Architecture is behind the design, that's all I know now. I'll dig further.

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

pre submittal has been filed for "Dillinger's" where that place used to be at Church & 6th (Stool Pigeon's for the old timers). I really hope they just named it because its what they're referring to the space as, rather than a revival of that crappy place. Hood Architecture is behind the design, that's all I know now. I'll dig further.

Ha almost six years of living here and I'm an old timer now :)  Stool Pigeon's wasn't too bad, as you mentioned Dillinger's sucked.  Hopefully a quality place can go in to keep pace with Kings Kitchen, 5Church and Basil.  Not sure if this is the best spot for a little divey bar.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

Really sad news to report. Starting today 7-10 of the GIANT oak trees are being removed from the courthouse. We've discussed this happening before but it is starting today.

Just a shame that these things will go. The city is replanting but obviously there's no immediate way to replace beautiful 100 year old trees. It's astounding to me the mean and hateful comments people are throwing the city's way about this. Out of ALL the stupid things this city does, this is not one of them. They are all very sick and while they may not fall down tomorrow, they have the potential to which could: kill people, injure people, destroy property, etc. They needed to come down and just unfortunately hit their life expectancy. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Really sad news to report. Starting today 7-10 of the GIANT oak trees are being removed from the courthouse. We've discussed this happening before but it is starting today.

Just a shame that these things will go. The city is replanting but obviously there's no immediate way to replace beautiful 100 year old trees. It's astounding to me the mean and hateful comments people are throwing the city's way about this. Out of ALL the stupid things this city does, this is not one of them. They are all very sick and while they may not fall down tomorrow, they have the potential to which could: kill people, injure people, destroy property, etc. They needed to come down and just unfortunately hit their life expectancy. 

The trees on trade or 4th? Or both?

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Whatever the new place is, it will likely be a more upscale place. I knew the owner of Dillingers, and he told me they were profitable. The new owners of the office tower jacked up the rent, so they decided it wasn't worth it to stay.

37 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

That's very sad but understandable. This is going to continue to be an issue in this city. I think Myers Park will be particularly vulnerable in the next 20 years since basically all of their trees were planted at the same time.

1 minute ago, Spartan said:

That's very sad but understandable. This is going to continue to be an issue in this city. I think Myers Park will be particularly vulnerable in the next 20 years since basically all of their trees were planted at the same time.

Yup, the good news is that the city takes trees very seriously and rather than just let them die, cut down and call it a loss, they will all be replaced. Now that doesn't necessarily help us out right now, it is what is necessary for the future Charlotte.

18 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Whatever the new place is, it will likely be a more upscale place. I knew the owner of Dillingers, and he told me they were profitable. The new owners of the office tower jacked up the rent, so they decided it wasn't worth it to stay.

Serious issue for me currently with a 100+ year old willow oak near my house in the backyard that is slowly dying off.  It's 60ft tall and is requiring more and more maintenance.  No fun at all.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

This is why a heterogeneous urban canopy is important. I hate seeing one type of tree planted everywhere -- they will all hit their lifespans at the same time, or may be blighted by something that takes out the whole chunk of canopy rather than just a third or quarter of the trees.

Edited by asthasr
  • Like 3

Prior to Dillenger and before Stool Pigeon the first private bar/pool club in the location at 6th and Church was Rhino Club. The original was in Greensboro. I was a member for a year or two. Great business on Panthers game days, much less other times. If I recall the owner was in G'boro and died and the clubs closed.

On 5/6/2016 at 7:44 AM, Jayvee said:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice piece of land across from the transit center is now up for sale... Convention center hotel or prominent office tower anyone?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article79517182.html?utm_content=buffer95031&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Edited by HopHead

14 hours ago, HopHead said:

Nice piece of land across from the transit center is now up for sale... Convention center hotel or prominent office tower anyone?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article79517182.html?utm_content=buffer95031&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

How many full blocks are even an option at this point in Uptown?

My hope is that someone buys and sits on it until the market is right to build something iconic.  

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Im fine without any iconic towers for a while. We have a lot of them. Even compared to cities larger than us 

I think you take what you can get while you can get it.  If a group of investors is willing to put another marquee tower in Charlotte (that'd be like 3 new towers in 3 years!), then go for it! haha.  

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Im fine without any iconic towers for a while. We have a lot of them. Even compared to cities larger than us 

Maybe we have a different opinion on what iconic is.  

For sure Duke and probably BofA.  Maybe Hearst and One Wells Fargo but I think these two are just OK towers that stand out for no other reason than height.  I am talking about buildings that truly stand out.  Buildings that when you just look at a silhouette it's obvious.  I don't think Charlotte has lots of those.   Just my opinion of course.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

For sure Duke and probably BofA.  Maybe Hearst and One Wells Fargo but I think these two are just OK towers that stand out for no other reason than height.  I am talking about buildings that truly stand out.  Buildings that when you just look at a silhouette it's obvious.  I don't think Charlotte has lots of those.   Just my opinion of course.

Switch Duke and BofA and I agree with you

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjd5050 said:

3 hours ago, NYCLT said:

Switch Duke and BofA and I agree with you

What about the new Gateway Station (if we ever get it).  Isn't the Little design the one that was chosen?

1-charlotte-gateway-station-view-from-ba

That'd be pretty damn iconic.

Just now, alb1no panther said:

What about the new Gateway Station (if we ever get it).  Isn't the Little design the one that was chosen?

1-charlotte-gateway-station-view-from-ba

That'd be pretty damn iconic.

Little did not win. This won't ever happen :-(