Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Aside from the clock (which looks to me like the architect superimposed his wristwatch on the front of the building), I love this design.  That said, I can't see it getting built in Charlotte...I'm picturing something rectangular with a lot of brick.  More functional than iconic, unfortunately.  

1 hour ago, Piedmont767 said:

But Hines backed-out. A recent new article stated that Bank of America was going to finance the project: Bank of America partnered with Little, no?

Please find and post that article. Because I've never heard anything about this.

2 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

What about the new Gateway Station (if we ever get it).  Isn't the Little design the one that was chosen?

Sure something like this could be iconic.  See. Sydney Opera House or the Guggenheim.  

Don't get me wrong, I can find a bit of love in all urban design and I think from the street Charlotte is doing great things.  It's just this parcel is a full block and I think you need that to have a podium for something really, really special.  

30 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

Well, I now can't find it, but we discussed it on this page on the Gateway thread: 

I don't want to say you misheard, but I think you might have had a rather elaborate charlottestories.com fever dream at some point. I've talked to a couple people that follow Transportation very closely, as well as a friend from CDOT and they were very adamant that BofA would never in a million years agree to complete Gateway Station. There is no guaranteed return on investment and honestly BofA is not really in the land development game anymore. However, There is currently a plan in place to create a temporary station downtown, at the tune of like $50M. It was a federal grant. See article.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article41835936.html

“I see no reason why there (wouldn’t be) a groundbreaking in 18 months,” Foxx said.

So according to Anthony Foxx, we should see groundbreaking in April 2017....Are we confident that the $500 million for the Red Line will be secured by then?

Also, NS has yet to be convinced to share the freight-rail tracks, no?

These are two very critical obstacles in order for this project to move forward. 

Seems very dumb to me to build a temporary bus station. (for 50 million) seems like the biggest waste of money. Put that 50 million into a grand new one. Even if it takes 5 or so years to get off the ground. Someone explain how this makes sense financially or anyway???

9 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

“I see no reason why there (wouldn’t be) a groundbreaking in 18 months,” Foxx said.

So according to Anthony Foxx, we should see groundbreaking in April 2017....Are we confident that the $500 million for the Red Line will be secured by then?

Also, NS has yet to be convinced to share the freight-rail tracks, no?

These are two very critical obstacles in order for this project to move forward. 

9 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Seems very dumb to me to build a temporary bus station. (for 50 million) seems like the biggest waste of money. Put that 50 million into a grand new one. Even if it takes 5 or so years to get off the ground. Someone explain how this makes sense financially or anyway???

I think most of the money will be used for track improvements and platforms that will remain intact after the temp station is torn down.

47 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

I think most of the money will be used for track improvements and platforms that will remain intact after the temp station is torn down.

I agree, I could see basic infrastructure easily soaking up most of that money

1 hour ago, cltbwimob said:

Yep. Also, given the number of uncertainties facing gateway station, it's more than likely that the temporary station will be there for 10+ years. I'd rather go ahead and get the station relocated and the tracks set in place than keep waiting.

• Like 2

Almost all the funds the Feds appropriated for Gateway Station will be for track and bridge work. New bridges have to be built to accommodate the new tracks. I believe the funds will also cover the new Amtrak platform and track. All of these investments will be incorporated into the new station once it is built. 

As for the temporary station, even that will be a better investment than keeping the current station on North Tryon. I don't see the permanent station being constructed in the next 10 years. Denver built a temporary station during the Union Station renovation and was a simple cinder block building which even then, was more appealing and larger then Charlotte's Amtrak Station which sees six more Amtrak trains a day compared to Denver.

image.jpeg

Edited by ajfunder

6 hours ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Edited by caterpillar2
wrong place.

1 hour ago, alb1no panther said:

Slow progress still being made at Packard Place.  Would have been nice if the utilities could have been jettisoned to the top of the building as opposed to a big eye sore directly on top of the structure itself.

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 10.00.23 AM.png

We only have the luxury of seeing it via webcam. Yeah people in their apartments will see it too, but from the ground floor I don't think you can see it

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

The cockroach is dead!! BAR Charlotte has closed and BMG is going to be opening a new concept in its place. Nice to see flight and the rebranding of Northside Station has forced them to step up their game. 

My expectations for anything produced by BMG are very, very low. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

The cockroach is dead!! BAR Charlotte has closed and BMG is going to be opening a new concept in its place. Nice to see flight and the rebranding of Northside Station has forced them to step up their game. 

I've posted this sentiment before plenty, but I'll miss the bit of authentic grit/sleaze that that place contributed to uptown (and lets not pretend the average uptown club is that much better, they just have cleaner veneers). It was always a bit of a highlight when I lived nearby and would be showing people around. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

I've posted this sentiment before plenty, but I'll miss the bit of authentic grit/sleaze that that place contributed to uptown (and lets not pretend the average uptown club is that much better, they just have cleaner veneers). It was always a bit of a highlight when I lived nearby and would be showing people around. 

100% agreed. Now I'm sure it'll be replaced by an Asian Fusion joint or some other non-unique concept that's already been replicated in this city. Having places like Bar Charlotte and a bit of sleeze is actually good IMO. Not every place should be some uppity cocktail lounge with $15+ drinks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HopHead said:

100% agreed. Now I'm sure it'll be replaced by an Asian Fusion joint or some other non-unique concept that's already been replicated in this city. Having places like Bar Charlotte and a bit of sleeze is actually good IMO. Not every place should be some uppity cocktail lounge with $15+ drinks. 

RIP Dixie's Tavern