Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Not sure what thread this belongs in but it appears that The Southern Season's expansion plans have hit a major speedbump -- they filed for bankruptcy today and said that their large format store expansion has been a failure. We all knew that something had to give in the high-end grocery market in Charlotte.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2016/06/24/southern-season-files-for-chapter-11.html?ana=e_trig_bn_breakingnews&u=jDmEk%2BCKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1466802297&j=74325282

On 6/24/2016 at 5:10 PM, kermit said:

Not sure what thread this belongs in but it appears that The Southern Season's expansion plans have hit a major speedbump -- they filed for bankruptcy today and said that their large format store expansion has been a failure. We all knew that something had to give in the high-end grocery market in Charlotte.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2016/06/24/southern-season-files-for-chapter-11.html?ana=e_trig_bn_breakingnews&u=jDmEk%2BCKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1466802297&j=74325282

Amazing that no one with connections to this company didn't already report this here. Surprised to learn this way.

1 hour ago, jednc said:

Amazing that no one with connections to this company didn't already report this here. Surprised to learn this way.

For what it's worth I've heard they will be moving forward with Charlotte and Atlanta stores but in smaller formats. I wanted to share about their financial woes, but was instructed not to. 

^ that is good news. Southend snake people are not exactly their demographic but I would really like to see them create something similar to Earls (but with more groceries) in the neo Atherton Mill center. 

I do hope their new small format is mostly food and less kitchen stuff than their full size locations.

Edited by kermit

Was trying to find the "Drive for Center City Retail" thread, but couldn't find it, so i'm going to pose this one here.  With all of the new retail that we on the board would like to see Uptown, there is one specific store I'd like to see for a couple of reasons.  Mast General Store.  Even though it has more of a presence outside of big cities (to the best of my knowledge), I think this store would be a draw or a go-to type of destination store for Charlotteans.  I know that when I go to Hendersonville or anywhere up in the mountains, that is one of the places I check out.  

• Like 1

^ a downtown Winston branch of Mast opened wihin the past year, the one in dt Greenville SC also does well. Greenville aside I think their corporate culture is to go for big and cheap spaces and to lead (to a degree) urban transformation. I don't think either of these two things is possible inside 277. 

Despite that I gotta think they could do OK in the storefronts across trade from the Federal courthouse or in the Ivy's building -- assuming rents are in their range.

6 minutes ago, kermit said:

^ a downtown Winston branch of Mast opened wihin the past year, the one in dt Greenville SC also does well. Greenville aside I think their corporate culture is to go for big and cheap spaces and to lead (to a degree) urban transformation. I don't think either of these two things is possible inside 277. 

Despite that I gotta think they could do OK in the storefronts across trade from the Federal courthouse or in the Ivy's building -- assuming rents are in their range.

Iveys spaces are spoken for. Cafe and an upscale restaurant/bar + hotel lobby.

Went to Fahrenheit last night (great view, ok food, weak cocktails) and was very irritated to find that the doors on the Caldwell street side were locked (despite a big sign saying Fahrenheit entrance). I got the feeling (but can't be certain) this was not a one off and they expected everyone to arrive  via car.

its the little things....

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2016 at 9:46 AM, kermit said:

Went to Fahrenheit last night (great view, ok food, weak cocktails) and was very irritated to find that the doors on the Caldwell street side were locked (despite a big sign saying Fahrenheit entrance). I got the feeling (but can't be certain) this was not a one off and they expected everyone to arrive  via car.

its the little things....

I went last month.  Food and service great, awesome views.  We walked up but went through valet entrance.  Great place to take out of town visitors.  Can't comment on the drinks...

On 6/30/2016 at 10:49 AM, Midwoodian said:

I could see a Mast work well in Plaza Midwood at Midwood High (once it is sold) or somewhere in Mathews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see Mast in Uptown, Elizabeth or PM... Downtown Pineville maybe.  Matthews would be a fit.  I would say Davidson or Cornelius or Huntersville,  but those places are like 45min away from Charlotte these days...  might as well be the moon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, HopHead said:

^If there is a slower project in town, I'd like to know what it is..

I actually hope it stalls out.  It's quickly becoming a prime location, right next to the park.  Feels like a waste to make it ground zero for bro's.  "Ink & Ivy" might as well name it "Alex...Don't ever come here".

edit:  I know, not everything built is supposed to be for me...

Edited by ah59396
  • Like 3