Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

52 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

I actually hope it stalls out.  It's quickly becoming a prime location, right next to the park.  Feels like a waste to make it ground zero for bro's.  "Ink & Ivy" might as well name it "Alex...Don't ever come here".

edit:  I know, not everything built is supposed to be for me...

It is gonna be bro central without a doubt. But that patio is going to be immensely important and it will only be bro heavy before 10pm on weekends, so it will be utilized well (I hope). 3rd Ward needs an "approachable" restaurant that isn't bar food. this will fill that void and their menu actually looks pretty good.

They're chugging along and should be open before panthers season. While I'm not overly enthused Bottle Cap group is putting another bring the bro's place in Charlotte there's a silver lining. Most people wouldn't have the money to put into the space as they did. With the patio this upfit is going to approach $4 million. 

I think the bottom line we (you too Alex) need to look at is its going to provide a brunch, lunch, dinner place to third ward and the area needs it BADLY. We just all will not call it our night spot. No biggie

Edited by Jayvee

55 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

It is gonna be bro central without a doubt. But that patio is going to be immensely important and it will only be bro heavy before 10pm on weekends, so it will be utilized well (I hope). 3rd Ward needs an "approachable" restaurant that isn't bar food. this will fill that void and their menu actually looks pretty good.

They're chugging along and should be open before panthers season. While I'm not overly enthused Bottle Cap group is putting another bring the bro's place in Charlotte there's a silver lining. Most people wouldn't have the money to put into the space as they did. With the patio this upfit is going to approach $4 million. 

I think the bottom line we (you too Alex) need to look at is its going to provide a brunch, lunch, dinner place to third ward and the area needs it BADLY. We just all will not call it our night spot. No biggie

Except the food at all Bottle Cap Group's restaurants is pretty terrible. They're all bars that just happen to serve food, and they rely on the fact that when most people order food they're already drunk(ish) and can't tell or don't care that what they're being served is bad, overpriced bar food. No way I'm going to Ink & Ivy for an actual meal, and you couldn't pay me to go there at night for drinks no matter how nice the view may be from the bro tat-covered patio.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cltcane said:

Except the food at all Bottle Cap Group's restaurants is pretty terrible. They're all bars that just happen to serve food, and they rely on the fact that when most people order food they're already drunk(ish) and can't tell or don't care that what they're being served is bad, overpriced bar food. No way I'm going to Ink & Ivy for an actual meal, and you couldn't pay me to go there at night for drinks no matter how nice the view may be from the bro tat-covered patio.

Lol well this place is obviously not for you. They spent exponentially more money to focus on the food and be more than a bar. But time will tell. The Greenville one isn't necessarily lighting the culinary world on fire. So there's that lol 

I spend much of my adolescence in London eating fish and chips after the pubs closed (11:00 pm).  It was great. Everything was cooked in the same grease and tasted the same. I had had about 4-6 pints and was perfectly happy. I can't stand English fish and chips any longer. That being said, from what I see and read, the Ink & Ivy is reminiscent. My point is that there aren't enough places to go in the late, late hours after bar hopping where "bar food" is available. And yes, perfection isn't necessarily a requirement after several drinks. But that is just me. They have my support. I am just thrilled with everything that is going up and opening. I still want my department store. 

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Hey Jayvee you get the scoop on the Showmar's space?  They're clearing it out today.

They are actively marketing the Church & Third corner as well. My guess is they're looking to transform this area to coincide with 300 S Tryon. 

(It is to note that once spectrum is done with 300 s Tryon and recoups some money they are going to redo the facade of the garage on Church, and likely add more retail). 

That said I don't know what's up with the showmars but it's a desirable space and part of a bigger picture. 

Also so they have painted the old Cosmo's building white and put up the logo/name of the Italian place going in there. LOVE the name and logo. Not sure how I feel about the building white. I hated it at first but the more I looked at it the more I strangely liked it. It is to note they are making more facade upgrades. This is not the final product. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I am posting in this thread (note I also replied to a comment from a few years ago in the Charlotte Off Topic thread):

I am surprised that there hasn't been any posting or news on the fact that Zipcar is uptown! Perhaps I missed something on its arrival (not sure how long it has been uptown). Granted its only 1 car (located in the Element apartments on Romare Bearden). Both my wife and I have used it several times and it is great for our needs. I also periodically track the availability of this car and have been pleased to see that it has been unavailable several times due to reservations from other people. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Scoopbth said:

I am posting in this thread (note I also replied to a comment from a few years ago in the Charlotte Off Topic thread):

I am surprised that there hasn't been any posting or news on the fact that Zipcar is uptown! Perhaps I missed something on its arrival (not sure how long it has been uptown). Granted its only 1 car (located in the Element apartments on Romare Bearden). Both my wife and I have used it several times and it is great for our needs. I also periodically track the availability of this car and have been pleased to see that it has been unavailable several times due to reservations from other people. 

Woah I had no idea. That's amazing it's uptown 

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

I liked the unpainted brick better. Unpainted brick is too old school for this town so I'm not surprised it was changed.

I also prefer unpainted brick.  That said, unpainted brick is EVERYWHERE on new projects and is often itself the subject of architectural complaints.  Perhaps you mean unpainted brick on old/historic buildings?  There is an unfortunate tendency to slap paint on those...

On 7/25/2016 at 8:30 AM, HopHead said:

^If there is a slower project in town, I'd like to know what it is..

As I walked through uptown today, I think Ink&Ivy still wins, but I'll nominate Pieology and Essex as runners-up.

Pieology was announced in December.  They put up fancy Pieology-branded window wrap immediately, but nothing has happened...not even really demo of the at&t stuff.  Jayvee has stated they're in permitting.

Essex shows progress, but if the date on this article is right, it was announced in Feb of 2014(!).  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/02/19/essex-bar-and-bistro-planned-for-bank-of-america.html .  2.5 years?!  I realize this was an extensive project, but they have been "almost ready to open" for months.

Is that date correct on Essex?  That article says open by the end of summer, which would have been summer 2014.  Then an article in Sep 2015 saying construction is ramping up and " A high-end restaurant is slated to open in uptown Charlotte’s Bank of America Plaza by the end of the year. ".  Much more recently, I see an article from Jan 2016 saying open in March, and an article from May 2016 saying opening mid-June.

Edited by grodney

6 minutes ago, grodney said:

As I walked through uptown today, I think Ink&Ivy still wins, but I'll nominate Pieology and Essex as runners-up.

Pieology was announced in December.  They put up fancy Pieology-branded window wrap immediately, but nothing has happened...not even really demo of the at&t stuff.  Jayvee has stated they're in permitting.

Essex shows progress, but if the date on this article is right, it was announced in Feb of 2014(!).  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/02/19/essex-bar-and-bistro-planned-for-bank-of-america.html .  2.5 years?!  I realize this was an extensive project, but they have been "almost ready to open" for months.

Essex is a case where no work was done at all for a very long time, once it finally started construction it moved at a reasonable pace for a project that complex (and in a difficult construction environment)

Essex: there were a TON of delays due to Omni. They are and were impossible to deal with and the site was incredibly challenging. They are in final inspections now and will be open in a few weeks. 

Pieology: the space is finally moving forward in getting split. AT&T is moving to the space next to Firehouse, that's going to have permits soon. Once the pieology space is split it'll come together pretty quickly. The other side will likely be that grabba green

I am surprised that the future of the auto service building across from Skyhouse on N. Tryon hasn't been mentioned to my knowledge. It is a one story structure with a descent size parking lot. It seems that it would definitely be in the best interest of the owner to sell. I know that having a auto repair shop uptown is a great convenience, but land space is premium uptown. Does anyone have any info concerning the future this property ?

44 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

I am surprised that the future of the auto service building across from Skyhouse on N. Tryon hasn't been mentioned to my knowledge. It is a one story structure with a descent size parking lot. It seems that it would definitely be in the best interest of the owner to sell. I know that having a auto repair shop uptown is a great convenience, but land space is premium uptown. Does anyone have any info concerning the future this property ?

Well it's important to understand that plot (college, Tryon, 8th and 9th) is subdivided something like 11 times. Which means there's probably 8 or 9 different land owners on this entire plot  and most of them are individuals who will be looking for a payout. This will be a very hard and expensive plot to assemble. I don't expect anything anytime soon 

The auto shop's subdivision is way too small of a plot on its own to develop anything meaningful on 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

^^

I actually like that this is here (though the facility itself is not quite as nice as some of their other locations).  To me, if we want Uptown to be a real neighborhood, we need places like this (and obviously, markets and other types of retail).  Urban emphasizes transit over cars and rightfully so but many people living and working in urban areas have cars.  I hope we see development on every surface parking lot before places like this move outside the beltway.  Just my opinion...

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x8856a03c9e8568fb:0xfec9e2d6e0f94c01!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e115!4s/maps/place/woody's%2Bauto%2Brepair%2Buptown/@35.2310408,-80.8375938,3a,75y,187.81h,90t/data%3D*213m4*211e1*213m2*211sk-OLBGUwvESyCfhpeh6H7Q*212e0*214m2*213m1*211s0x0:0xfec9e2d6e0f94c01!5swoody's+auto+repair+uptown+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e2!2sk-OLBGUwvESyCfhpeh6H7Q&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiAutbV3JbOAhUM5mMKHXpVB6kQpx8IfTAK

• Like 1