Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

On July 27, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Jayvee said:

Essex: there were a TON of delays due to Omni. They are and were impossible to deal with and the site was incredibly challenging. They are in final inspections now and will be open in a few weeks. 

Pieology: the space is finally moving forward in getting split. AT&T is moving to the space next to Firehouse, that's going to have permits soon. Once the pieology space is split it'll come together pretty quickly. The other side will likely be that grabba green

It would be interesting to hear what kind of problems they had to fix.  Not saying I don't believe you.  Curiosity is all.

On 7/26/2016 at 2:29 PM, JBS said:

I also prefer unpainted brick.  That said, unpainted brick is EVERYWHERE on new projects and is often itself the subject of architectural complaints.  Perhaps you mean unpainted brick on old/historic buildings?  There is an unfortunate tendency to slap paint on those...

Generally, yes - unpainted on old buildings. For the most part, however, new buildings are only partially brick. Because they use the "vomit" approach to architecture, almost all of them have at least some brick, but it isn't ever used as the primary exterior material or to create architectural detail in the same way that it was historically. I don't consider having a random brick wall amongst a sea of glass, metal, EFIS, and the occasional wood paneling as being a 'brick' building.

• Like 2

Zipcar update - I stalk the availability like crazy to see how many people are using it!  It is getting great use, I am honestly surprised at the amount of use. At least a few hours every day. Some people have been reserving it for whole days at a time too. 

Looks like another Zipcar location just opened in the Skyhouse garage too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scoopbth said:

Zipcar update - I stalk the availability like crazy to see how many people are using it!  It is getting great use, I am honestly surprised at the amount of use. At least a few hours every day. Some people have been reserving it for whole days at a time too. 

Looks like another Zipcar location just opened in the Skyhouse garage too!

Yes! Heck, here's hoping they expand to LYNX stations. I'd gladly ride my bike to a train station to get a zip car if I had to get out to the suburbs.

59 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

400 S Tryon is renovating the ground floor of its parking deck and adding 3 retail spots on the park side. One of those spots will be a second Rhino market location.

this is HUGE for third ward. Just incredible stuff 

Whoa.  Awesome.  Time to renew my wish for closing 1 of the 2 lanes along 400 S Tryon (connecting Tryon to Church) and make a nice walking linear park experience.

(Currently, it's actually 2 lanes plus parking (taxi stand) at the Tryon end, but skinnies down to 2 lanes at Church.)

Edited by grodney

1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

400 S Tryon is renovating the ground floor of its parking deck and adding 3 retail spots on the park side. One of those spots will be a second Rhino market location.

this is HUGE for third ward. Just incredible stuff 

I never noticed it before, but there's a sign for the retail on that corner of the building....visible in StreetView since at least March.

400stryon1_zps7ufqa9nl.jpg

400stryon2_zpseeoompid.jpg