Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Was there tonight.  Great place.  The inside is extremely well done.  The atmosphere is refined enough for corporate lunch and dinner but loose enough to evolve to a party atmosphere for bigger events *ahem*Panthersgames*ahem*.  Dishes are designed to be shared, though they do offer a few entree selections.  There isn't as much seating outside as I thought there'd be.  Great place overall.  They comped my first round of drinks and gave us a free appetizer because we walked out after sitting at the bar for 10 minutes with no service.

15 hours ago, CLT704 said:

Essex turning into a night spot, enhancing the square, I'd guess. 

OK, fair enough. I took it more of an announcement that it was open, which wasn't exactly news, so I figured I must be missing something.

As far as enhancing the square, I don't think the square is any more special than say any other outdoor seating uptown. It's nice and I'm certainly not against it, but I'd rather see some actual retail uptown. Another restaurant that focuses on alcohol and a high priced menu in uptown doesn't really excite me.

It's hard to express this subtlety, because I'm happy in general for more places for people to gather in uptown, but I'd trade this for an actual store that sold almost anything a block or more away any day.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jednc said:

It's nice and I'm certainly not against it, but I'd rather see some actual retail uptown. Another restaurant that focuses on alcohol and a high priced menu in uptown doesn't really excite me.

You're not alone. The spot itself seems like any other perfectly lovely restaurant in Uptown. However, this stretch on S Tryon of the same building complex is being turned into retail. So yay. EDIT: Wasn't an ABC store discussed at some point for this?

Tryon and Fourth Street Facade - Night 2.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot

59 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

You're not alone. The spot itself seems like any other perfectly lovely restaurant in Uptown. However, this stretch on S Tryon of the same building complex is being turned into retail. So yay. EDIT: Wasn't an ABC store discussed at some point for this?

Tryon and Fourth Street Facade - Night 2.jpg

I just hope it's something different from 4 new restaurants. Although, I'm sure yet another place to get craft cocktails with artisanal ice would get some haliluias from several on here.

I'm cautiously optimistic though.

Edited by jednc
Forgot to add final thought the first time.

Does anyone find it odd that Goldman Sachs just bought the 201 S Tryon Building?  At 270,000 some sq ft, could it be a temporary resting space for GS whilst the former Observer site gets built out?  Also, I believe that US Bank is in 201 S Tryon, and the exit of that space presumably to the Portman property in early 2017 could provide the space.

Just idle Sunday morning musings.

• Like 1

There was a Charlotte Biz Journal article out on Friday (can't seem to find it now, but I no longer have a subscription either) that stated there is about 4M sqft of office space that will be build in center city within the next 3 years, excluding what's under construction now (e.g. Portman and 300 S Tryon). I count Tryon Place and the office tower that's in permitting at the Charlotte Observer site among those, but it's under 2M sqft between those two. Are there other projects out there in the planning phases that anyone knows about? I assume this doesn't include Brooklyn Village. 

1 hour ago, DMann said:

Does anyone find it odd that Goldman Sachs just bought the 201 S Tryon Building?  At 270,000 some sq ft, could it be a temporary resting space for GS whilst the former Observer site gets built out?  Also, I believe that US Bank is in 201 S Tryon, and the exit of that space presumably to the Portman property in early 2017 could provide the space.

Just idle Sunday morning musings.

Goldman Sachs buying a building isn't odd at all. They own thousands of office buildings, warehouses, multi-family, etc... across the country for investment purposes for their funds. They have a real estate investing amd asset management group. This building is most likely an asset for them, where they won't be a tenant. Day to day ops will be run by a property management company.

They have an exit strategy to make a profit off of this and we will probably see them sell in a few years.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mpretori said:

Goldman Sachs buys 201 South Tryon for $69.5M. Wonder why Goldman is becoming so invested in Charlotte all of a sudden. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/08/12/201-south-tryon-sells-for-69-5-million-to-goldman.html

Interesting that the price is just $1m more than what it was sold for in 2006.  

300 South Brevard renovation includes  approx. 17,000 sq ft of ground floor retail space including 2 spaces with outdoor patios of 7600 sq and 4400 sq ft.  This building is really going to add life to the area between NASCAR Hall of Fame and tower and the new Embassy Suites and the College St corridor. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

Anyone know what's going on at the Residence Inn parking deck?  A lot of scaffolding up.

They're doing some standard maintenance work. Nothing fun. 

And be that's amazing news about the 300 s brevard renovation. I don't think it was ever announced they were adding that much. Lola's will definitely occupy one of spaces 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Heres the link to the 300 South Brevard brochure where it shows the retail layout

http://media.wix.com/ugd/dd41d1_c3fd3442f6b3482da7a7acd65e058b10.pdf

I'm glad you posted this. I walked by there a couple of weeks ago (across the street actually) and thought the pictures on the construction fences looked VERY similar to the existing building. I didn't cross the street to get a better look because of traffic and laziness but was really disappointed with what I could make out. I remember this building looking very different in prelim renderings. Your link has reaffirmed my opinion that there isn't much re in this redo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alb1no panther said:

So, 400 South Tryon deck is getting reno.  Any others in the pipeline?

Eventually the 230 S Tryon garage. Spectrum is gonna make it all pretty like. Won't be for a while though, focus is on 300 S Tryon.  

Grubb will never do anything with the chamber garage because he's the worst. 

• Like 2