Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

1 hour ago, Niner National said:

Worse than Levine?

Similar. Has a massive master plan, and only has one commerical building to speak of thus far. Keeps putting us through the same story every development boom, and then we are just left wondering what could have been. 

5 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Any chance the city would do something to force / share cost to install some charge points in these garages. I know this is the land that environmentalists forgot but still I want my Tesla. 

There are two at Trade and Tryon and two in front of the mint museum.

4 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Yes, i know that, usually taken up by a delivery van, SUV or cop car. ;-(

We need them in garages where people park that work and live here. And we need DC chargers.

You would think a city which has a huge electric company HQ could step up.

I was actually suprised that the offering wasn't more robust. When they were rolling them out there was supposed to be ones in the Duke Energy Parking Deck, the Epicentre parking deck and a few others. I don't know what happened to that.

1 minute ago, Niner National said:

The market will force their hand when the Model 3 is released.

As long as Tesla doesn't screw up the delivery of those, there will be a massive amount of electric cars on the road in a relatively short period of time.

I'm not so sure. I can't buy one because it's not practical if I cannot charge it where I live and work. Chicken and Egg right?

18 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I'm not so sure. I can't buy one because it's not practical if I cannot charge it where I live and work. Chicken and Egg right?

Wait until they have a few people decline to rent or buy there because they don't offer charging. That'll change real quick. Fortunately, chargers are something that can be installed in short order.

• Like 1

Speaking of garages I noticed the Ascent building has some kind of metal framework being installed over the garage. Is it possible they'll so something nice over it? Our building in Denver covered the parking podium with metallic bands that moved in the wind plus advertising space and didn't look bad at all.

13 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

Speaking of garages I noticed the Ascent building has some kind of metal framework being installed over the garage. Is it possible they'll so something nice over it? Our building in Denver covered the parking podium with metallic bands that moved in the wind plus advertising space and didn't look bad at all.

If they follow the rendering, the deck should look fairly good on Ascent. It has areas for vegetation growth as well.

We will see how it turns out soon I suppose. These things often seem to turn out a lot worse than renderings but I'm cautiously optimistic.

8 minutes ago, Niner National said:

If they follow the rendering, the deck should look fairly good on Ascent. It has areas for vegetation growth as well.

We will see how it turns out soon I suppose. These things often seem to turn out a lot worse than renderings but I'm cautiously optimistic.

I got confirmation from a supernatant on site that the final product over the garage will very closely resemble the renderings (I will take him at his word) 

6 hours ago, elrodvt said:

I know this is the land that environmentalists forgot but still I want my Tesla. 

Looks like it's less about the land that environmentalists forgot and more about not being able to use the internet to locate a charging station. I really hate snide comments about the city and state I love from new comers.

6 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Omni is planning some upgrades with the most notable being the street level presence - 

Omni Charlotte
• Detailed Scope of Work: Overall public area renovation work scope - re-conceptualization of building facade at street level at corner of E Trade and S College only, and renovation of inside Motor Lobby area of Hotel. Minor soft renovation of Guestrooms. Will not impact street entrance and exit, or existing vehicular or pedestrian traffic as it exists. New forms and materials in place of existing curtain wall coming down and terminating at sidewalk. • Additional Comments: The hotel ownership has tasked us with improving the street facade of the hotel - create a better scale for hotel entry, and overall create a more inviting and distinguished entry that speaks to the hotel entry rather than the overall mixed-use complex and commercial office space aesthetic.

oh hell yes. Uptown being transformed, one block at a time. This is huge news. 

8 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

oh hell yes. Uptown being transformed, one block at a time. This is huge news. 

Agreed. Gigantic news. NO idea how I missed this yesterday, I check Accela religiously lol. That said, sounds like hotel management was challenged (either by the city or Corporate) to improve given the improving landscape around them. Really fascinating stuff, it doesn't say anything about adding retail to that Trade and College corner but LITERALLY anything is better than what it is now. 

Apart from just a material improvement, I wouldn't expect much substantial on the Trade St side. The air grates for their basement take up a substantial part of that sidewalk, so that would be especially difficult to redevelop into anything useful. Not to mention the BCycle station and the secured loading dock entrance.

1 minute ago, tozmervo said:

Apart from just a material improvement, I wouldn't expect much substantial on the Trade St side. The air grates for their basement take up a substantial part of that sidewalk, so that would be especially difficult to redevelop into anything useful. Not to mention the BCycle station and the secured loading dock entrance.

The original redevelopment plan was for a second floor restaurant with balcony and a better store front street presence on College and Trade. Just with that I'd be happy, even though the street wouldn't be all that different. I wish I could find the rendering. Its somewhere on this site. ATLRVR posted it 7 years ago.

12 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The original redevelopment plan was for a second floor restaurant with balcony and a better store front street presence on College and Trade. Just with that I'd be happy, even though the street wouldn't be all that different. I wish I could find the rendering. Its somewhere on this site. ATLRVR posted it 7 years ago.

winner winner chicken dinner

6 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

winner winner chicken dinner

Is it sad I remember who posted it... and how long ago? 

Here is the original rendering so people don't have to click back. Still a crap ton of blank walls, but WAY Better.

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 9.49.26 AM.png

Edited by Guest