Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

15 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Are any DC fast chargers? Not sure.  The 7KW Level twos in most places aren't very practical as we approach 100KW battery packs and beyond. Like all things, I believe upgrades will be made, after all, the deck operators want that revenue!

I wonder why they don't show up on the maps, do you live downtown?  Yes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jednc said:

Looks like it's less about the land that environmentalists forgot and more about not being able to use the internet to locate a charging station. I really hate snide comments about the city and state I love from new comers.

That's not true. This state is really backwards when it comes to environmental issues. I think that is pretty obvious unless you have your head pretty deep in the sand. Hopefully you don't need examples.

As for locating charging stations I walk around looking at them all the time thinking about whether I could tolerate parking on the street to charge my car. With there being almost zero parking enforcement the few stations that are not in pay garages and within a walk of my place downtown are taken by ICE vehicles much of the time. It would not be tolerable to use them on a daily basis. Plus there are NO fast chargers so it would mean leaving your car out on the street all night to get a charge. On top of all that they are for profit and the rate is pretty unreasonable. 

Oh, and let me know how long someone has to live here to make "snide comments".

Is it 10 years or what? 

What would be great would be some help from the building codes.

I looked up Denver as a case in point but I know a lot of cities are onto this.

I'm fairly certain these policies would not be allowed here by the NCGA or someone??

Just thinking of the little i read about design review boards here being handcuffed.

I get the point that the market might eventually drive this but at a snails pace in my view.

https://www.denvergov.org/content/dam/denvergov/Portals/696/documents/Denver_Building_Code/2016_Code_Update/2015_public_amendment_proposal_IBC_Section406_9_ElectricVehicleChargingOptions.pdf

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/03/09/denvers-new-building-code-requires-garages-to-support-electric-vehicles/

4 hours ago, elrodvt said:

That's not true. This state is really backwards when it comes to environmental issues. I think that is pretty obvious unless you have your head pretty deep in the sand. Hopefully you don't need examples.

As for locating charging stations I walk around looking at them all the time thinking about whether I could tolerate parking on the street to charge my car. With there being almost zero parking enforcement the few stations that are not in pay garages and within a walk of my place downtown are taken by ICE vehicles much of the time. It would not be tolerable to use them on a daily basis. Plus there are NO fast chargers so it would mean leaving your car out on the street all night to get a charge. On top of all that they are for profit and the rate is pretty unreasonable. 

Oh, and let me know how long someone has to live here to make "snide comments".

Is it 10 years or what? 

I'll be sure to let you know...but you're not there yet. Hence my post.

The VUE has a new retail tenant. Corkscrew, a popular wine bar, should add a valuable presence to the area as retail continues to expand all over Uptown. I noticed the construction a few months back, and now I guess they're putting in all the fixtures. 

Edited by alb1no panther

3 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

The VUE has a new retail tenant. Corkscrew, a popular wine bar, should add a valuable presence to the area as retail continues to expand all over Uptown. I noticed the construction a few months back, and now I guess they're putting in all the fixtures. 

Yeah, was reported on very very early this year. They have been taking their sweet time on this. There will be a coffee shop too.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/36292/corkscrew-vue-uptown-charlotte/

Edited by Jayvee

^^^Good to hear! 

In regards to The Vue, really wish the 51st club floor was open to the public.  Maybe have the wine bar up there or something.  Charlotte doesn't really have a building with an "observation" deck, but at 51 floors would definitely cut it!  Fahrenheit and Bentley's are the closest thing, but I don't consider those as an observation type of places (I want to feel like I am above the rest of the buildings).  Uptown is getting so dense now with buildings, that it would be worth having something like it.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

^^^Good to hear! 

In regards to The Vue, really wish the 51st club floor was open to the public.  Maybe have the wine bar up there or something.  Charlotte doesn't really have a building with an "observation" deck, but at 51 floors would definitely cut it!  Fahrenheit and Bentley's are the closest thing, but I don't consider those as an observation type of places (I want to feel like I am above the rest of the buildings).  Uptown is getting so dense now with buildings, that it would be worth having something like it.

I've been up there for one event. There was much wine to be had... and there was also a pretty brutal windstorm happening. I was nauseous within a few minutes of getting off the elevator and it only got worse once the wine went to work.

Just now, tozmervo said:

I've been up there for one event. There was much wine to be had... and there was also a pretty brutal windstorm happening. I was nauseous within a few minutes of getting off the elevator and it only got worse once the wine went to work.

lol, that's how I felt at the Westin in ATL...especially with those external glass elevators (73 floors).  I've seen pictures, but the view up there is probably pretty killer overlooking the city/panthers stadium!

27 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

New restaurant and bar signs 15 year lease on Third Ward building at 305 W 4th Street. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/08/31/global-restaurant-bar-concept-is-in-the-works-for.html

Yeah we've chatted about loft & cellar before. I initially had high hopes but I've heard the chef is a douche and their upfit budget was REALLY low. Can't imagine the finishes being stellar