Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

39 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

While I can appreciate the consistent renovation to ground floors to activate the street better, this is ho hum at best. Can't believe it costs $14 mil lol 

From reading the article, I definitely agree with jayvee's sentiment. How on earth (and why) are they spending 14 million to basically gut their lobby and "reimagine" it? Moving the escalators, adding art, and changing the facade doesn't get any fanfare from me. 

The only major bonus I see from this is it supposedly is going to have better connection to the overstreet mall. I know some UPers don't have the most favorable opinions of it, but I love it and everyone I show around uptown thinks it's awesome.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

14 million for that? i need to see some receipts.  must involve some intense labor given the glass.

I would guess that the $14 million budget isn't just a renovation budget, but also for deferred maintenance and CapX items that buyers usually address shortly after they purchase an asset. Since it was built in 1982, it's not unthinkable that those things could be $5-$10 mil, which is not even $15/psf. 

Edited by Prodev
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Prodev said:

I would guess that the $14 million budget isn't just a renovation budget, but also for deferred maintenance and CapX items that buyers usually address shortly after they purchase an asset. Since it was built in 1982, it's not unthinkable that those things could be $5-$10 mil, which is not even $15/psf. 

Oh I didn't read where it was purchased.  Just looked at the updated renderings.  Cheers.

1 hour ago, alb1no panther said:

Now if they could just boot Carolina Ale House and reimagine that entire area.  An entirely no concept needs to go in, and CAH needs to go to hell.

Disagree completely.  I'm not a huge CAH fan, but they are the only legit "sports bar" in Uptown.  It can't all be cocktail lounges.

26 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

Disagree completely.  I'm not a huge CAH fan, but they are the only legit "sports bar" in Uptown.  It can't all be cocktail lounges.

I wasn't beating any drum.  I'm happy for ANOTHER "sports bar" to go there.  Above all, I want to see CAH gone.  I can get their crappy food anywhere.  I can get their beer anywhere.  They have horrible service.  And the setting is as generic as it comes.  Just one man's opinion.

2 hours ago, alb1no panther said:

Now if they could just boot Carolina Ale House and reimagine that entire area.  An entirely no concept needs to go in, and CAH needs to go to hell.

Yeah no kidding. I would rather not drink beer than go to that sh*t hole. Bro paradise. Waitresses cannot spell beer and bar tenders cannot order or hook up a keg. Why in the world would anyone go there with Duckworths a few blocks away?

Here's hoping the new place on 3rd and Church is decent. 

30 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

How is CAH any more of a sports bar than Duckworths? Total tv's or square feet you stick to? ;-)

1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

Yeah no kidding. I would rather not drink beer than go to that sh*t hole. Bro paradise. Waitresses cannot spell beer and bar tenders cannot order or hook up a keg. Why in the world would anyone go there with Duckworths a few blocks away?

Here's hoping the new place on 3rd and Church is decent. 

How is CAH any more of a sports bar than Duckworths? Total tv's or square feet you stick to? ;-)

Forgot about Duckworths.  My bad!  Probably because it takes 2 hours to get your food there.

5 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

I disagree. Flight is amazing to watch sports at :)

Flight is not a sports bar.  It's a bar that shows some sports.  You know the difference I'm referring to.

27 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Any time I'm with a western European around Charlotte one of their questions is "why are there TVs in every bar here?" :tw_flushed:

This is (part of) why I cherish The Cellar so much. I'm pretty sure they're the only TV-less bar uptown, and while I'm sure there are some I can't think of any in other neighborhoods either.

Having a TV in a bar or restaurant isn't a bad thing necessarily, but it shouldn't feel like a compulsion and these days it very much is.

I have to admit I agree with a lot of you and feel meh about this place.  A few of us went there around a big holiday and we waited for about 15 minutes to get a table (bar was completely full) and from there it went downhill.  It took another 15 minutes at the least for a manager (not a server) to see what we wanted to drink.  When we actually had the opportunity to order food, it was at least another 30 minutes to even ask if was in the works.  It looked like they were severely short staffed and were struggling in the kitchen and the floor, so I'll give them that pass.  But overall, I was not impressed and haven't been back but about 2 or 3 times tops - only because it was b/c someone else had made the plans.  IMHO, I would pass on this place and go somewhere else Uptown if I had the opportunity.  The beer selection was OK too.  I'd rather go directly to the brewery from what they have on their menu there.

I can't speak about what it may be like for Panther's games or soccer (futbol) games since I steer clear of that kind of frivolity.