Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

On 3/7/2008 at 3:35 PM, Raintree21 said:

I lived in 3rd Ward for a year and never smelled the plant. This would be a huge loss for Charlotte to lose this employer.

A friend of mine who lives in Oakboro seems quite certain that they are moving. He says that they bought 105 acres and are something like tripling capacity. Says that at the Charlotte site they have 2 "machines" that produce couplings/fittings and 1 "machine" that produces pipes. At the possible new site, they will have 5 couplings/fittings "machines" and 2 or 3 pipe producing machines which will allow them to run just 1 shift and have the same production capacity as they currently have.

That's surprising as I smell it quite often and it makes me think I'm in old time scranton or something. Nasty... 

On 9/7/2016 at 8:02 PM, Jayvee said:

While I can appreciate the consistent renovation to ground floors to activate the street better, this is ho hum at best. Can't believe it costs $14 mil lol 

Agreed!!

On 9/7/2016 at 8:33 PM, Nick2 said:

From reading the article, I definitely agree with jayvee's sentiment. How on earth (and why) are they spending 14 million to basically gut their lobby and "reimagine" it? Moving the escalators, adding art, and changing the facade doesn't get any fanfare from me. 

The only major bonus I see from this is it supposedly is going to have better connection to the overstreet mall. I know some UPers don't have the most favorable opinions of it, but I love it and everyone I show around uptown thinks it's awesome.

They are making the lobby more open with the non-tinted glass. I think that will make the street level better, but its still a giant lobby. I don't understand the Overstreet part for two reasons: 1) No connection or enhancement to Overstreet is an 'improvement' and 2) They have a hamster tube that connects directly to it, so I don't understand how they can get any 'better' than that.

On 9/8/2016 at 3:35 PM, ah59396 said:

Disagree completely.  I'm not a huge CAH fan, but they are the only legit "sports bar" in Uptown.  It can't all be cocktail lounges.

CAH is ok in a pinch. I liked it when it opened, and it's not a bad place to get a craft beer before a Hornets game. I'd take CAH over a non-Carolinas based chain any day.

The improving access to the overstreet mall, really means just relocating the up escalator to be adjacent to the down escalator.  Right now, the escalators are on opposite sides of the lobby, they will be on the same side after reno and the mezzanine level terminus will be right next to the hamster tube....

I do think the more translucent lobby is a win....the block feels a bit ominous.

I agree on CAH.  Decent place to grab a beer before a Hornets game, but otherwise not really a compelling reason to go there.

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

The improving access to the overstreet mall, really means just relocating the up escalator to be adjacent to the down escalator.  Right now, the escalators are on opposite sides of the lobby, they will be on the same side after reno and the mezzanine level terminus will be right next to the hamster tube....

I do think the more translucent lobby is a win....the block feels a bit ominous.

I agree on CAH.  Decent place to grab a beer before a Hornets game, but otherwise not really a compelling reason to go there.

This is why it's so mind boggling to me that the $14MM figure is out there.  What is the typical capital outlay to build escalators and put on a fresh coat of paint?  Certainly it's not $14MM

Apparently the crva wants to pump $100 million more into the convention center and put a glassy facade on Stonewall. Unfortunately the preliminary plans still have a blank wall facing the sidewalk and a bridge so pedestrians can cross to Whole Foods.

Ignoring the dubious benefit of expanding the convention center, this would be a huge missed opportunity. Why not put in some retail and start making some money from the building outside convention times? This has been done in lots of new convention centers. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article101450832.html?

20 minutes ago, tiblerbrit said:

Why not put in some retail and start making some money from the building outside convention times? This has been done in lots of new convention centers. 

From the convention centers perspective wouldn't this lower revenue?  I have priced out conventions before and the cost of things are crazy.  A corner store retail shop could prevent them from charging $15 per person for coffee and tea service....

26 minutes ago, tiblerbrit said:

Apparently the crva wants to pump $100 million more into the convention center and put a glassy facade on Stonewall. Unfortunately the preliminary plans still have a blank wall facing the sidewalk and a bridge so pedestrians can cross to Whole Foods.

Ignoring the dubious benefit of expanding the convention center, this would be a huge missed opportunity. Why not put in some retail and start making some money from the building outside convention times? This has been done in lots of new convention centers. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article101450832.html?

Yeah a VAST majority of convention centers around the country are not PED friendly and even the best ones (Austin, San Diego, Denver) don't have retail. I actually kind of like this. The wall on stonewall isn't the greatest but again convention centers are really an unfortunate dead space for PEDs in almost every city. Denver does a great job at least having interesting features like the bear. The PED walkway to whole foods is fantastic, but I would never expect much PED activation from any convention center

1 minute ago, Jayvee said:

Yeah a VAST majority of convention centers around the country are not PED friendly and even the best ones (Austin, San Diego, Denver) don't have retail. I actually kind of like this. The wall on stonewall isn't the greatest but again convention centers are really an unfortunate dead space for PEDs in almost every city. Denver does a great job at least having interesting features like the bear. The PED walkway to whole foods is fantastic, but I would never expect much PED activation from any convention center

Charlotte seems unique in that regard.  With the beast that Stonewall is growing into, maybe the surrounding amenities will be a draw.  

7 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

Charlotte seems unique in that regard.  With the beast that Stonewall is growing into, maybe the surrounding amenities will be a draw.  

Unique in which regard? Look at Columbus or Raleighs convention centers. AWFUL from the street. Even San Diego, while its gorgeous, is nothing but dead streetscape when there's not a convention in town. 

51 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Unique in which regard? Look at Columbus or Raleighs convention centers. AWFUL from the street. Even San Diego, while its gorgeous, is nothing but dead streetscape when there's not a convention in town. 

Pedestrian utilization doesn't have to be limited to convention events.  If street front shops is what we're after, this entire area would be hopping year round once the new developments (Crescent, LH, etc) come online. Only so much space in Uptown, after all.  Convention center traffic would obviously be a big economic boost as events are held, but there is still plenty of justification for an overhaul without them.  Location is great.  It just happens to be a convention center on the inside.

Edited by alb1no panther

DC's convention center is wrapped in retail. It's still an imposing building, but they did a decent job activating the street and filling the spots with local businesses. Just because it's happening elsewhere doesn't mean we have to do it here. 

http://mayor.dc.gov/release/mayor-bowser-events-dc-unveil-new-businesses-walter-e-washington-convention-center

4 hours ago, tiblerbrit said:

DC's convention center is wrapped in retail. It's still an imposing building, but they did a decent job activating the street and filling the spots with local businesses. Just because it's happening elsewhere doesn't mean we have to do it here. 

http://mayor.dc.gov/release/mayor-bowser-events-dc-unveil-new-businesses-walter-e-washington-convention-center

haha I don't think any of us are arguing the counter point your post addresses.

The problem with adding any thing at street level st the convention center on Stonewall St. is all those litter window camouflage the truck entrance and exit ramps down to the loading docks. So the only thing they could build would be 8 feet above the side walk. They do need to remove the planting strip between the side walk and curb.

I watched BoA testing the LEDs on the crown last night from Whiskey Warehouse (terrible picture quality). They were testing a plethora of colors, light shows, etc.

The 300 South Tryon Construction Cam actually got a lot of good shots of the testing last night.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/spectrum/tryon

cbabf336aa730377b839ef0628f49c0b.jpg1d7984e2e8245ab312f5c3e05652a2ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by AP3
  • Like 1

As Windsurfer mentioned in another thread, The Cedar Hill building in 3rd Ward to Beacon Partners. After looking at the Register of Deeds, it appears it sold at a price not really befitting an old A&P building warehouse. Beacon has been on a tear lately purchasing, and I'd watch for Beacon Partners to assemble the land around the building and look to redevelop. I don't think the rents in the building alone could warrant a nearly 11 million dollar purchase price for a old building on .8 acres.

It does have a tremendous amount of potential. At one point it had a rail spur running alongside it. Methinks it would be relatively easy to re-do and hook up to the line that continues West. The building would've made ( and still could) make for some awesome condos. My hands were tied as far as possible uses. Family stuff. It was built in 1925 and the floors are bomb-proof (about 11" of concrete each)