Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

39 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

And that's good about [Potbelly], they're still targeting November. 

They better hurry!

In related non-news, no sign of anything being done on the crosswalk from Latta Arcade across Tryon.  Hmmmm, maybe the Agenda could take some pics of the massive crowds that cross there, and follow-up with the city councilman (Alvin Austin) that wrote back to me and directed city staff to get it done, or Angela Berry who said CDOT is evaluating it.

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

The mystery is why they pulled permits the second time. Bought and loaded new equipment. Then just stopped. 

build around it. The other buildings around it are forgettable and unnecessary. 

The Graham Street corridor of doom and destruction needs a total overhaul at the street level.  

I can only hope that the gas station is rebuilt in some manner that improves on what was there before.  But in general, gas stations and convenience stores seem to be as much a negative force for crime as liquor stores.    As a 4th Ward resident, I really wish there were a tax district where gas stations and convenience stores pay for litter clean up in the surrounding blocks as they shed the layers of plastic around their grape cigarillos, slim jims, and cigarettes.   I pick up mountains of it from the neighborhood over the course of the year.  

But beyond litter and general indigence, the gas station that was there before was truly awful at handling the crowds that use it, pumping gas in the slowest setting, and not laid out well to access either as a driver or a pedestrian.   It actually would have better flow if the pumps were in the back and the convenience store on the corner, but I'm sure the powers that run it have 0 interest in either customers or the neighborhood. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dubone said:

The Graham Street corridor of doom and destruction needs a total overhaul at the street level.  

I loved this - it is very bad. Once you get beyond Post Uptown the sidewalk is way too close to the road and the cars move way too fast. I think they should have a crosswalk at the corner of 7th and Graham and/or 8th and Graham or do some road diet and street parking or trees or something to make you feel somewhat safe. It seems every time I'm walking I have my head turned to make sure I'm not going to get hit by a car.

On 9/29/2016 at 8:44 AM, grodney said:

They better hurry!

In related non-news, no sign of anything being done on the crosswalk from Latta Arcade across Tryon.  Hmmmm, maybe the Agenda could take some pics of the massive crowds that cross there, and follow-up with the city councilman (Alvin Austin) that wrote back to me and directed city staff to get it done, or Angela Berry who said CDOT is evaluating it.

My understanding about the Tryon crosswalk is that there are some ADA issues that have to be worked out first. When you're dealing with Tryon Street, everything is more complicated due to the age and location of utilities underneath the sidewalk. It's much more complicated than dropping down some paint.

On 9/29/2016 at 5:10 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

build around it. The other buildings around it are forgettable and unnecessary. 

I would love to see the mechanic shop turned into a brewery. The outdoor space there is unique and could be really cool if it was cleaned up. It's also the only practical space in uptown to have a real brewery.

On 10/4/2016 at 7:54 PM, 11 HouseBZ said:

Rebuild into a more urban design (store on the corner with a door to the street, gas in the back)? Or is that too much to ask for? 

We all wish that would happen. Typically with a rebuild situation like this we're only going to get a carbon copy replacement of what's there. They'd have to relocate their underground tanks to move the store closer to the corner, so I'd be very surprised if that happened.

On 10/5/2016 at 4:25 AM, dubone said:

I can only hope that the gas station is rebuilt in some manner that improves on what was there before.  But in general, gas stations and convenience stores seem to be as much a negative force for crime as liquor stores.    As a 4th Ward resident, I really wish there were a tax district where gas stations and convenience stores pay for litter clean up in the surrounding blocks as they shed the layers of plastic around their grape cigarillos, slim jims, and cigarettes.   I pick up mountains of it from the neighborhood over the course of the year.  

But beyond litter and general indigence, the gas station that was there before was truly awful at handling the crowds that use it, pumping gas in the slowest setting, and not laid out well to access either as a driver or a pedestrian.   It actually would have better flow if the pumps were in the back and the convenience store on the corner, but I'm sure the powers that run it have 0 interest in either customers or the neighborhood. 

Is this sarcasm? I 100% agree with your comment, but there is a tax district (well, multiple districts) that all residents and businesses pay into... The uptown MSDs that fund Center City Partners seems like a good place for that. Maybe Michael Smith could hand over a bit of his salary to pay for extra litter control?

21 hours ago, NYCLT said:

I loved this - it is very bad. Once you get beyond Post Uptown the sidewalk is way too close to the road and the cars move way too fast. I think they should have a crosswalk at the corner of 7th and Graham and/or 8th and Graham or do some road diet and street parking or trees or something to make you feel somewhat safe. It seems every time I'm walking I have my head turned to make sure I'm not going to get hit by a car.

I agree, when it's not busy, half the time I'll straddle the two lanes, left lane is too close to oncoming traffic, right lane has almost no curb protection for pedestrians, I get nervous for anyone walking remotely close to the edge, just one stumble and they're under my car.  

Bank of America might help fill some of the towers under construction by forcing others to consider them. They are trying to bump office tenants in 1BAC and Corporate Center early so they can take the space for themselves (no word on whether this is due to vacating space in other towers they lease space in). 

Moore & Van Allen law firm and Ernst & Young are some of the tenants in BofA Corporate. Pamlico, Ridgemont Private Equity, and TowersWatson are tenants in 1BAC. All of these tenants have the $ to lease in a building like 300 S Tryon or Portman. 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/banking/article106393982.html

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

Yes if Bank of America is taking more space in a building it owns this could throw some good new tenants for the rising towers like 615 South College and 300 South Tryon. BofA recently gave up 120-150K of space in Independence Center and probably found that could not squeeze all those  people in existing vacant space.  When BofA left a 140,000 sq ft building in Ballantyne for example they took all the vacant space in Bank of America Corporate Center off the market and used the space themselves.  This is good news for the 2 new towers for sure. 

• Like 1

Interesting that Moore & Van Allen was mentioned in this article as they just renewed their space in 2015 in Bank of America.  If and that is a big if they moved they would be a huge tenant at either of 2 buildings under construction. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/10/moore-van-allen-renews-lease-in-uptown-office.html

• Like 1