Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Didn't really know where to put this, so dropping it here... I was at Queen City Q last night watching the World Series (Go Cubs, Go!) and happened to sit next to someone who worked for Barings (anchor for 300 South Tryon). After talking about beer for a while, he indicated he comes into town a fair amount since they'll be putting their HQ here and his one comment was the lack of available hotel space. Sometimes he and others have to stay outside of uptown. Of course I brought up that they will be getting a pretty nice hotel next to their new office. He also mentioned that he was staying at the newly updated Marriott -- said that it was one of the best Marriott's he's stayed at. Anyways, thought it was worth mentioning, that even with all the new hotels being built now, how much of a dent are they really going to make when they all in the ~250 room range. Definitely not the first time I've heard an out of towner bring that up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HopHead said:

Didn't really know where to put this, so dropping it here... I was at Queen City Q last night watching the World Series (Go Cubs, Go!) and happened to sit next to someone who worked for Barings (anchor for 300 South Tryon). After talking about beer for a while, he indicated he comes into town a fair amount since they'll be putting their HQ here and his one comment was the lack of available hotel space. Sometimes he and others have to stay outside of uptown. Of course I brought up that they will be getting a pretty nice hotel next to their new office. He also mentioned that he was staying at the newly updated Marriott -- said that it was one of the best Marriott's he's stayed at. Anyways, thought it was worth mentioning, that even with all the new hotels being built now, how much of a dent are they really going to make when they all in the ~250 room range. Definitely not the first time I've heard an out of towner bring that up.

First off, ugh Cubs. Second off, yeah we definitely need way more rooms but take a peek here https://www.charlotteagenda.com/67352/hotel-building-boom-real/

they are for sure going to make a dent. You'd be surprised how many cities have less rooms than we will in a few years 

1 hour ago, orulz said:

None of the Grand Bohemians anywhere look anything alike, So I would expect a completely unique design.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Not sure I like any of the designs.  Would love to see something like The Pendry that's under construction in San Diego.

gaslamp-2.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Couldn't help but notice core samplings going in the parking lot at SW corner of Morehead and Tryon this morning. I know the 14 story building was cancelled. Any other plans?

Yea. Apartments :-( 

10 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

Couldn't help but notice core samplings going in the parking lot at SW corner of Morehead and Tryon this morning. I know the 14 story building was cancelled. Any other plans?

I believe it was mentioned on here that it will be a generic apartment building with podium style parking.  Or maybe I had a nightmare about it :-)

20 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

I believe it was mentioned on here that it will be a generic apartment building with podium style parking.  Or maybe I had a nightmare about it :-)

Yep - approximately 275 units, 5 stories on podium parking.  Project is called Alliance Morehead.

In the infamous words of Warren Zevon: "[Charlotte, you're] crap's fudgeed up."  

This podium parking rinse, was, repeat is really starting to get old.  I can accept it initially as development booms.  Like all progress, competition improves quality . . . unless you're an apartment developer in Charlotte.  Maybe we need more Boston firms designing stuff.

15 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

Yeah that is probably the most egregious stick-built podium project to date. I am really surprised that kind of project makes any kind of sense on such a prime site. 

There is no rendering. So, I'm even more scared. 

10 minutes ago, saamh said:

Can someone explain why they are building on top of the pocket park on the site instead of the parking lot right next to it? Or is the building taking up both lots?

Hines bought the land, then sold off that piece to Kessler, they did not, however, purchase the parking lot, which is owned by First Citizens. At one point that land was destined to be a 25 floor First Citizens Tower, back about a million years ago.

Who are the proper entities to reach out to regarding beautification projects in the city? One thing about the new residential towers is they all have nice brick pavers and other stylings that drastically improve the feel of the block. Some older places (Gateway Village Lofts, for instance--I'm a sucker for LVG) are in desperate need of improved ped scape.