Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

9 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Hines bought the land, then sold off that piece to Kessler, they did not, however, purchase the parking lot, which is owned by First Citizens. At one point that land was destined to be a 25 floor First Citizens Tower, back about a million years ago.

Thanks for explanation! That parking lot is an eye sore, I really like that little park actually 

2 hours ago, saamh said:

Thanks for explanation! That parking lot is an eye sore, I really like that little park actually 

I had art a sculpture that I did when I was a teenager 15 years ago, I have an emotional attachment.

http://www.charlottefive.com/three-uptown-cocktail-meccas/

Good run down of our newest cocktail bars by some New Yorker ;)

I had a similar night with the Stoke Fashioned and the Trade Street at Stoke and 204 North like a month ago.  Agree with pretty much all that was said, Stoke is a great addition to the city and I'm still mad I haven't been to Coco and the Director yet.  The new Marriott is a game changer. 

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

14 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

http://www.charlottefive.com/three-uptown-cocktail-meccas/

Good run down of our newest cocktail bars by some New Yorker ;)

I had a similar night with the Stoke Fashioned and the Trade Street at Stoke and 204 North like a month ago.  Agree with pretty much all that was said, Stoke is a great addition to the city and I'm still mad I haven't been to Coco and the Director yet.  The new Marriott is a game changer. 

lol, thanks. You'll be seeing a lot more from me on C5 and the Observer. :-) Cocktails and Development :-) My two favorite things.

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Was at 7th Street Public Market last night and noticed the bakery (between Local Loaf and Pure Pizza) was gone.  There were two ladies doing some DIY renovation of the space, so I asked if they're the new tenants and indeed they are.  They're putting in.....wait for it.....a bakery!

Yeah not exactly sure what happened here. Cloud 9 is not at Scott Clark Honda (?????) and they're replacing a bakery with a bakery. My guess is cloud 9 was doing just fine but got a great deal from Scott Clark and the market people wanted to keep a bakery in there

1 hour ago, Dale said:

Say them.

Basically the Market is run by a bunch of apes, who screw vendors over. The Market had been trying to kick Cloud 9 out for a year, but didn't tell Cloud 9 that they were kicking them out till a couple of weeks till they were forced to leave. 

And I'm saying this as the son of a former market vendor, the management of the market f'ing sucks and they are nasty pieces of work. 

14 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

Basically the Market is run by a bunch of apes, who screw vendors over. The Market had been trying to kick Cloud 9 out for a year, but didn't tell Cloud 9 that they were kicking them out till a couple of weeks till they were forced to leave. 

And I'm saying this as the son of a former market vendor, the management of the market f'ing sucks and they are nasty pieces of work. 

It's managed by CCCP. Should tell you all you need to know 

• Like 2

I know several business owners in the market, and the depiction of the management is not what the reality is.  Keep in mind these are all small business owners and the market is designed to be a sort of incubator.  While CCCP can be heavy handed, it is not all bad.

16 minutes ago, AP3 said:

I heard Quick Trip is looking to test a new format (convenience store only with no pumps) at a location near Ruth's Chris.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw this email blast go out a few months ago from Collett but hadn't heard if they found anything

Untitled.jpg

Welcome to Uptown... on today's segway tour.... over there is a QuickTrip where you can buy hot dogs and pizza, and over there is a 7-Eleven where you can buy hot dogs and pizza, and over there is a parking garage with apartments on top hidden by metal with a stunning mural called "Multi-color Bars and Lines". Let's pause and let it speak to you. Hope you enjoyed your tour!

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

another convenience store uptown speaks of the strength of the residential market. QT is the best in the business. I hope they do find a spot uptown. It is a sign just like grocery stores are that the uptown residential market is strong and needs to be served. 

Kind of saw it the same way.  And sadly the lease price is probably a high barrier to entry into the Uptown market for a locally owned bodega/convenience store.  With the exception of established brands that have other locations around town (ie Rhino).

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Kind of saw it the same way.  And sadly the lease price is probably a high barrier to entry into the Uptown market for a locally owned bodega/convenience store.  With the exception of established brands that have other locations around town (ie Rhino).

Don't forget the Caldwell Corner Store!

Turn on the wayback machine...

about 10 (?) years ago there were some pretty substantial rumors that Deutshe Bank was going to set up an office in Charlotte. Was this just the tech center stuff that went to Cary? If not is there anyone here who remembers that and could possibly share some details about it (particularly what kind of office it was going to be) now that the project is clearly dead and buried?

Edited by kermit

This went to Jacksonville, FL.  I'm feeling lazy now, but if you look for announcements in that 10-year ago range, you can see what all they staffed.  Mostly mid-office jobs, but also apparently some commercial or possibly investment banking jobs.

DB's a bit on death watch right now.

There have been more recent misses on foreign Investment Banking mid/back office jobs:

UBS: Opened in downtown Nashville (lack of Uptown office space in block size few years back was major factor)

Nomura:  Was VERY close to opening mid-office jobs for US trading ops here, but CEO resigned immediately prior to finalizing.  New CEO came in and did business review, and decided to keep jobs in NY.

On the winning side:

BofA and Wells have been growing here like crazy.

US Bank growing nicely in Trading, Banking Products, and Compliance.  Regions slowly growing in Inv Banking and Trading.  Ally growing.  Citigroup growing in retail bank products and compliance jobs (in Fort Mill). 

• Like 1

Some info on the 400 S Tryon work:

"

The building ownership is excited to announce three new restaurants being built here at 400 South Tryon!  We are pleased to announce Rhino Deli, B. Good and another restaurant that will be shared later next week have signed leases and construction has already begun.

Please note the sidewalk at the corner of MLK Jr. Blvd and Church St. will be closed for the restaurant construction beginning Monday November 14th, 2016, through Friday February 3rd, 2017. 

"

• Like 4