Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

according to the repaving agenda being presented at tonight's city council meeting, it looks like two pet peeve roads of mine will finally get cleaned up. Trade St from College to Clarkson and Stonewall along that concrete stretch are on the slate. I hope Stonewall receives bike lanes along there, but the long range bike map doesn't seem to indicate that priority.

I honestly think that it would be better to widen the sidewalk than to keep the parking spaces. We need to promote more walking and less driving in the city imo.

Yeah, there are like what, 5 or 6 parking spaces there? I don't think there would be a loss in 5 parking spaces, but what a great gain in a widened, pedestrian friendly sidewalk.

Yeah, there are like what, 5 or 6 parking spaces there? I don't think there would be a loss in 5 parking spaces, but what a great gain in a widened, pedestrian friendly sidewalk.

There are actually about 20 parking spaces there - and they are one of the only spaces in Uptown that aren't regulated by rush-hour daily closures. I'd hate to see these spaces go for that reason - but a simple fix would be to rethink the volume/needs for rush-hour on streets like College (there is NO way we need 4 one-way lanes during rush-hour! leave the onstreet parking active all day!)

It's not about parking, but traffic calming. When sidewalks were widened on Tryon years ago, the street went from six lanes to four. But thankfully, the curb lanes are not used as full-time travel lanes on Tryon. On-street parking creates friction for motorists, provides a buffer for pedestrians, and helps activate streets.

I could care less about the number of spaces. Unlike surface lots, which kill street life, on-street parking is part of a vibrant, urban street.

I think the plan was to eliminate the parking, but I agree that off hour parking is likely ok for 5th. If not, a safer, wider sidewalk is absolutely higher priority than 6 spaces given the hundred of pedestrians that cross through there each day. There are lots of street parking and parking decks in that area, and it is a major pedestrian corridor to 4th Ward.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Transportation/PlansProjects/Pages/Center%20City%20Transportation%20Plan.aspx

I hope it turns to rubble and then at least when something does happen with the rest of the block, there will not be that out of place eyesore. I'm surprised, though that the rest of the block is not already paved for parking.

I sure hope the city doesn't waste this opportunity to extend east bound tenth to Tryon. All they'd need to do is take a small corner of that block and add a light, but ideally, they'd extend the median through there because it is a stately street that ought to connect to Tryon.

Yeah, I agree that is probably fine, but I wish they'd do something. East bound travel from 4th Ward is awkward, given that Graham exit is only for points west and 11th begins at Church. Almost everyone I know goes straight on 10th illegally, while it is the plans to make it legal. I do think that continuing the median to Tryon, and hopefully eventually into the Hal Marshal redevelopment (in the Center City 2060 plan), and make it seem like an important address, since right now that part of Tryon is virtually forgotten by development.

Yeah, I agree that is probably fine, but I wish they'd do something. East bound travel from 4th Ward is awkward, given that Graham exit is only for points west and 11th begins at Church. Almost everyone I know goes straight on 10th illegally, while it is the plans to make it legal. I do think that continuing the median to Tryon, and hopefully eventually into the Hal Marshal redevelopment (in the Center City 2060 plan), and make it seem like an important address, since right now that part of Tryon is virtually forgotten by development.

Center City 2060 Plan!? LOL!

There will be a high end restaurant going in the difficult space formerly occupied by Molly MacPhearson's. I think an April launch is planned.

Ugh. More high end restaurants? My money is on a steak house. I realize that bars haven't been doing well there, but as an uptown resident I'd like to see more neighborhood type establishments in the area.

That being said, I could get on board with Zink.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[for the life of me I can NOT find the Bobcats thread. I'll let someone move this post]

There's been an interesting momentum/movement recently to take back the Hornets franchise name as the team in New Orleans faces extinction. The guy running this campaign has made it into a lot of local media and is organizing a "Bring Back the Buzz" rally at the March 30 game against the Nuggets.

http://www.bringbackthebuzz.com/ / https://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Beelieve-Charlottetake-back-your-Hornets/110429122320741

As unlikely as a rebranding seems, I'm way in favor of it. I've never bought any Bobcats merchandise - I've just never been "inspired" by it - but there's something really appealing about getting the Hornets brand back.

^I used to think the "Bring back the Hornets Crowd" were sore losers crying about the way things used to be... and since I wasn't in Charlotte for the Hornets days (and I actually think the colors are atrocious), I thought ditching the Bobcats logo for the Hornets was silly. But over this season I've started to change my mind... but now I actually think they should rebrand as the Cougars (their throwback team and uniforms) - and use the Bobcats and Hornets as the new "throwback". That way it's a neutral decision for something new... and neither brand is completely forsaken (basically saying to everyone that ever bought Bobcats stuff that their investments were all for naught).

The thing that gets me is people saying, "Well, if they change the name, I will actually go to some games." However, they won't support the team otherwise (regardless of whether or not they are winning). To me that's just stupid. I didn't live here during the glory days of the Hornets so I have no emotional tie to the name, so maybe that's why I don't get it. Personally, I don't care what they call they call the team (yea, I know I have the Bobcats logo as my avatar). Winning is what's most important, and that's what the franchise has to fix, not some silly name. However, until the franchise that resides in New Orleans relinquishes the name it's moot point about the whole change the name campaign.

[for the life of me I can NOT find the Bobcats thread. I'll let someone move this post]

There's been an interesting momentum/movement recently to take back the Hornets franchise name as the team in New Orleans faces extinction. The guy running this campaign has made it into a lot of local media and is organizing a "Bring Back the Buzz" rally at the March 30 game against the Nuggets.

http://www.bringbackthebuzz.com/ / https://www.facebook...110429122320741

As unlikely as a rebranding seems, I'm way in favor of it. I've never bought any Bobcats merchandise - I've just never been "inspired" by it - but there's something really appealing about getting the Hornets brand back.

why is the team in new orleans facing extinction?

I always thought the "Charlotte Money" would be a good name. It reflects local history and culture (the gold rush, mint, banking), the team colors pick themselves (gold, silver, and green, of course), there are lots of great puns sportswriters can make with the name, and there are a lot of good money-themed songs to play on the PA.

why is the team in new orleans facing extinction?

They are currently owned by the NBA. George Shinn was basically losing money and couldn't afford to pay his debts, so he sold the team to the league. So essentially, the other 29 teams own the Hornets right now. The league is in the process of trying to sell the team to some prospective California investors. What's not known is if 1) they keep the team in New Orleans or move them to some place like Seattle or Anaheim. and 2) They keep the name. It may be a situation where they want to put their own stamp on the team and rename them. If they went to Seattle for instance, they would take the Sonics name back as the city owns the rights to it. Last I read the league was trying to find a way to keep the team in New Orleans though.

I do not think that New Orleans can really support both football and basketball. Especially after the population loss after Hurricane Katrina. If the team does move and change names, I somehow doubt that Michael Jordan would sign off on having to pay millions of dollars to rename and re brand the Bobcats back to the Hornets.

• 2 weeks later...