Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

17 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Re: Builders Building

Absolutely disgusting, although not at all surprising, that we will literally let the few remaining examples of nearly century old architecture crumble away before our eyes. 

Who owns this building? Who paid for the scaffolding? The owner, the city? 

The Church owns the building. I interviewed them for an article, they are willing to adapt to their status as an urban church, and are passively looking for developers to develop their land. Personally I would love to see something similar to what Sharon United Methodist is doing with Childress Klein. The Builders building should just be repurposed for co-working.

15 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The Church owns the building. I interviewed them for an article, they are willing to adapt to their status as an urban church, and are passively looking for developers to develop their land. Personally I would love to see something similar to what Sharon United Methodist is doing with Childress Klein. The Builders building should just be repurposed for co-working.

When does your article and rendering of a possible re-development of the property come out?  I believe you mentioned on the arm-chair thread...

4 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

When does your article and rendering of a possible re-development of the property come out?  I believe you mentioned on the arm-chair thread...

LOL, I need to write it first. LOL. Life gets busy in waves, you know?

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

yes

Ugh. The building looks like its in fine shape (better than Polk). Is that literally the end of it, waiting for demo, or is there just nothing planned but maybe some hope of re-use?

I'm afraid to ask...but do you know anything about that cool green-tiled building a block down Trade from there? That's always been one of my favorite buildings uptown and its severely underutilized. The ones next to it are ok too but they all need entrances opened up to the street if anything ever becomes of them. 

28 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

Ugh. The building looks like its in fine shape (better than Polk). Is that literally the end of it, waiting for demo, or is there just nothing planned but maybe some hope of re-use?

I'm afraid to ask...but do you know anything about that cool green-tiled building a block down Trade from there? That's always been one of my favorite buildings uptown and its severely underutilized. The ones next to it are ok too but they all need entrances opened up to the street if anything ever becomes of them. 

Agree with everything you said except that it's in fine shape.  It's been rapidly deteriorating for years but I'd actually rather save this than Polk (for several reasons).  Odds seem long...

14 hours ago, mpretori said:

Development announcement coming in the short to mid term of a office high-rise along with a fortune 500 tenant. Can't go much further than that on here. 

Is this an announcement for a development we already know about or is it something new?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Not sure when you did the interview, but FPC is currently in the process of engaging their congregation about the future of that site. I'd say they are a long way off from making any final decisions at this point, but they seem to be committed to doing the right thing in terms of a development that benefits the church and the community.

18 hours ago, mpretori said:

Development announcement coming in the short to mid term of a office high-rise along with a fortune 500 tenant. Can't go much further than that on here. 

Can you define "mid term" ? Is that a couple of months or a couple of quarters?

1 minute ago, Spartan said:

Not sure when you did the interview, but FPC is currently in the process of engaging their congregation about the future of that site. I'd say they are a long way off from making any final decisions at this point, but they seem to be committed to doing the right thing in terms of a development that benefits the church and the community.

Can you define "mid term" ? Is that a couple of months or a couple of quarters?

Hence my comment about them only "passively" looking. Apparently there have been 3 deals turned down over the past 10 years, including MCL and the Vue. 

5 hours ago, NYCLT said:

Is this an announcement for a development we already know about or is it something new?

Something new, Office, SouthEnd, around 200k sq feet. Thats all I've been able to find out. Will update when I got more info.

17 hours ago, kermit said:

I would be -shocked- if was not a HQ relocation. I would get -gassy- if the relocation was from far away.

200k is small for a HQ.  Also, most companies relocating would want to go to Ballantyne or somewhere near where transplants want to live.

This is good news though.

Edited by edmundblackadder1999

On 2/11/2017 at 1:31 PM, JBS said:

That's a great idea.

My view of Overstreet is that I like it but it could be so much better...

Check this out. This is what I wish our covered pedestrian areas could be... part of, not apart from, the street grid. Pedestrian-only routes can seem nice, urban, and connected rather than sketchy afterthoughts or isolated ghost towns.

• Like 1