Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Speaking of LEDs (that don't change color).... Charlotte is FINALLY going to install some LED street lights that will replace the high pressure sodium lights.

They will be doing a pilot project in the blocks roughly between the EpiCentre/Arena and NASCAR Hall of Fame/Convention Center. 229 old fixtures will be replaced with LED lights in July. These lights will be about 30% more energy efficient than the current ones.

Glad to finally see this happen and hopefully will see these in the rest of Charlotte in the not too distant future.

Edited by uptownliving
  • Like 1

LEDs are far more expensive, but they have been coming down in price rapidly for the past few years. My expectation is that they would start phasing them in as the sodium lights burn out, but flat out replacing them all would make no financial sense. (They've been doing this with the traffic lights for years now.)

I read something a while back that something about the color temperature of LED lighting being pure white, simulating moonlight, helps people see better at night. We evolved with moonlight as our lighting source at night, and somehow it is easier for us to discern objects in low light with the white light than the yellowish sodium lighting, even with lower lumens.

I am not sure of the reliability of the sodium lights vs LEDs, but I have replaced a few of my CFLs at home with LEDs and I have had 1/3 of them die prematurely. Luckily they are covered by warranty. There is nothing more frustrating than walking through a dark area past lots of dark streetlight poles.

• 2 weeks later...

The closer to "pure white" that a light source is, the fewer lumens we need in order to see well.

Low pressure sodium lamps still have higher efficiency (lumens per watt) than any other source by a significant margin. However, that doesn't tell the whole story. The quality of the light from these bulbs is terrible. It's orange. Lower quality light means that you need more lumens for humans to see well.

Part of what makes LEDs so beneficial is the quailty of the light is pretty high and the efficiency is also quite good. You need less lumens of LED light than you need of Sodium lamps for us to percieve it as the same brightness level. As you mention, LEDs also have a long lifetime. Therefore, ror a greenfield installations or where the existing hardware is at the end of its useful life, LED makes a good bit of sense.

Metal halide lamps are another interesting alternative. They have the best color quality of all. These are what they use in commercial settings such as Lowe's. In contrast to LEDs which require replacing everything from the ground up, these are essentially a screw-in replacement for Mercury and High Pressure Sodium lamps. They are less efficient than sodium, mercury, or LED, but they have better color quality so you can get away with a dimmer bulb and still achieve the same perceptual level of brightness. For installations where the masts are already there and are in good condition, but there is a lot of pedestrian traffic and therefore a higher quality of light is desired, these are a good option (until the masts/ballasts/lenses reach the end of their useful lives and need to be replaced.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

That is unexpected. I'm trying to picture what it was like before (nevermind. thanks Google streetview)... so it was already wider than the section by Conolly's, hopefully they're widening that section too.

I also went past the rejuvenation of the sidewalks by Charlotte Plaza yesterday. Basically they are replacing the sidewalk pavers which were ugly black-painted concrete to 'Tryon-style' brick, and hopefully making their fountain and other open space more welcoming. I guess they are also expanding the outdoor patio space for Ale House, so hopefully that will all more al fresco nightlife there and capitalize on the proximity to Epicenter.

They are expanding the Ale House site. Which is probably the best thing ever for that corner. It'll add just a little bit of life, outside of that gargantuan LED advertising sign they threw up. Which is awesome by the way.

VERY nice what they're doing there, a full-fledged purpose-built patio, not just a few tables and shrubs! It seems like it is going to be largely wood construction and not trying to be super modern. Its a very un-uptown move and that little touch will go a long way to breaking the monotony of that block.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a positive change for sure. I do wish those silly universal left lanes would be omitted from bridges with nothing to turn to. Also, I wonder why real bricks weren't used versus faux bricks drawn in concrete. The faux treatments often look bad after a while. Maybe something to do with the bridge.

I don't know if this is appropriate in this thread, but there's a construction notice/permit thingy in the old UNO space that says "Red Ginger". I googled but didn't see anything Charlotte-specific about Red Ginger.

Sounds like it will probably be an asian restaurant. I hope it's sushi, we don't have enough places downtown to buy sushi yet.

Sounds like it will probably be an asian restaurant. I hope it's sushi, we don't have enough places downtown to buy sushi yet.

I have a hunch that it will be more of a noodle/rice bowl lunch chain, like a Wam or Red Bowl. I wish we could get a legit asian noodle house though instead of an overly-americanized chain. Surely restauranteurs by now realize that their chances of running a successful sushi place amid all the competition uptown are slim. On that note though I tried Emzy Friday night and the sushi was good, but the place really lacked personality and I don't see it lasting.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the Blake Hotel opening up a rooftop bar? I noticed that there's now a canopy attached to the stariwell/elevator tower on the roof and railings around the entire rooftop section of the tallest of the two buildings. Anyone know anything about this?

No idea... but I really wish those buildings down there would get a thorough renovation. The two hotels and the government mid-rise... all three are HIDEOUS structures.

I don't understand why people still build stucco high-rises. They NEVER look good. EVER.

Edited by TotalLamer

• 1 month later...

That is the question, whether they will go forward with original plans to do something similar to what Founders Hall did, and add a visible street level entrance at the corner with an escalator or elevator and stairs. Internally, Omni gives up 3 spaces, which is hardly something devastating, but it will go a long way to making the Walgreens successful and street-activating.

• 2 weeks later...

Went into the 7th street market this afternoon and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of activity that is now inside. A surprisingly useful beer kiosk (Salud), new food vendors and a decent level of customer activity (granted today may be unusual) make this a place I might actually retrun to. I am relieved to see that it is continuing to evolve.

• Like 1