Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

6 minutes ago, Popsickle said:

I know this is a bit off topic of the original post.  Nevertheless, I'll ask it here as it pertains to the advance of the area, and something people should be aware of.  In regards to the google fiber network, I will say that I have not read their "terms of use" for the fiber service.  But, are the terms of service in line with their existing products?  I.E. google photos, chrome, calender, and mail, where they log ("read") all your data sent through those services to essentially better their add service?  Additionally, just like FB, all data you upload to these services are then property of the owner of the service.

Remember, if you are not paying for the service, you are the product. 

Sorry for the rant, remove tinfoil hat now.

I'm no expert but I believe Google does not snoop on your internet like Att does. Now that Congress appears to be gutting the regulations that were going into place to prevent any carrier from doing that most carriers probably will snoop. I wonder about Google though as they were strong supporters of the new regulations. It's funny how some campaign contributions, along with reading Ayn Rand one too many times, make it suddenly too burdensome to not snoop on people. It's extra work to snoop not less. Such B.S..

So, with Tin hat justifiably in place, I recommend using a router that sends all your traffic through a decent vpn. Just to screw them over - if for no other reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCMike1990 said:

Like others on here are saying, I'd like to see a big attraction for this site. Like maybe an aquarium or a natural history museum. Maybe something like Raleigh's Natural Science Museum, with the large globe. Something eye catching like that is what I'm imagining. I think something iconic (or something unique to Charlotte) would go well with the nearby Mint and Bechtler Musems.

ncmns_0.jpg

Source: NC Museum of Natural Sciences

Just something other than a hotel, apartment or office tower, IMO.

That office tower looks pretty cool

• Like 1

On 2/19/2017 at 11:29 PM, nakers2 said:

I think this would be relevant to post here: I visited downtown Raleigh yesterday after attending an auto show nearby and I was very pleasantly surprised. (I visit Raleigh often actually, but admit I have not spent much time downtown) The overall retail and restaurant scene was very, what I'd call organic, compared to Charlotte. You could tell that some of these restaurants had been there for years, show me a restaurant in Uptown that's been there since 1930, I can't think of one. Many of their historic buildings were also still standing, especially along Fayetteville Street, their version of Tryon, except with wide and consistent sidewalks, and room for parking and bike lanes. The restaurant we ate in was one of two inside a former Piggly Wiggly grocery store, and their transit center in built into the bottom floor of a parking garage, not freestanding like the CTC. There were convenience stores and even, a small locally owned grocery store that you could tell had been there for a long time. I noted a Subway that was still open despite being late, providing more affordable eats than just high end restaurants and bars. And keep in mind all of these observations were taken within the span of a few blocks, not the entirety of downtown.  

I know some people on here are rather familiar with Raleigh and this is no news to them, but Charlotte could really take a page out of Raleigh's book, I know we cannot rebuild what we tore down, but the good spread of restaurants and shops, compared to Charlotte's clusters (think Epicenter) were really nice and allowed for a more enjoyable walk. I also felt like the blocks were smaller in Raleigh, or at least the streetscape made it seem that way. I'm not really trying to make any specific point with this post, but overall quite frankly I feel a bit jealous and wonder what massive center city we could have if Charlotte had not been so quick with the wrecking ball. 

I like the museum building but think the office buildings behind look undesirable. They are too short and stocky. I believe that Charlotte needs to bring back a planetarium with something like a wax museum or a chamber of horrors. Surely there have been enough heinous crimes in town since 1750 to create some excellent exhibits. I believe that comparing Charlotte with Raleigh is like comparing UNCC to CPCC. I would have like to have seen a few building saved, i.e. the old YMCA, etc. but I am thrilled with the direction the city is going and envy no other place. I believe that  will be a model city and are to a big degree today. I do like the two story buildings attached to the Raleigh Museum. They look European. 

Edited by caterpillar2

Just now, edmundblackadder1999 said:

I was hoping that there was truth to the rumors that a bank planned a new tower on the site next to Gantt.

You should be able to keep hoping!

I can assure you that project in Raleigh looks nothing like that. The globe is so fake and cheap looking...ground level looks nothing like that, just pretty much blank walls on all sides but the front. The tower has a nice design but the materials and everything look fake to me, glass on the tower looks nothing like that, it's black and almost does not even look like glass. Really not that great to me.

The museum is awesome though

13 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

Like others on here are saying, I'd like to see a big attraction for this site. Like maybe an aquarium or a natural history museum. Maybe something like Raleigh's Natural Science Museum, with the large globe. Something eye catching like that is what I'm imagining. I think something iconic (or something unique to Charlotte) would go well with the nearby Mint and Bechtler Musems.

ncmns_0.jpg

Source: NC Museum of Natural Sciences

Just something other than a hotel, apartment or office tower, IMO.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

Personally, I think that globe looks idiotic.

Never understood the blue of the Mediterranean and the Red Sea and the coastlines. were they just trying to save money on paint, or vinyl or whatever the hell they used. Not to mention the world is clearly flat.

Edited by Guest

I already "like" checked the toz post but want to say more. Not a West Wing fan but this is a great revelation to those not already aware of map projections and what maps actually transmit. A NC highway map shows a road in proportion as if it were miles wide. It is a HIGHWAY map so emphasizes and enlarges highways, for another example. Thanks toz for semiotics in geography.

4 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Using this chance to post one of my favorite West Wing scenes ever.

I have never watched that show but that clip was thoroughly entertaining.  Additionally, since Newsroom is my favorite show of all time (flaws and all), I'm sure it's awesome.  

BREAKING: Move over Bank of America Center, New York developer just released plans to build Charlotte's new tallest building!
A developer is planning to remake a prominent site on Stonewall with a new project preliminarily named Big Sky Charlotte, which will include a mix of offices, shops and apartments. The Tower, which was filed with the City’s planning department yesterday, is listed at 1001 feet, and would become the first building in the Southeast to cross the 1000 foot mark. Preliminary plans show an 82 floor building, made up with the following:

• 40 floors of Office in 800,000 sq feet

• 20 floors of Residential, with approxiamately 150 super upscale residences

• 20 floors of Hotel, currently named as a Scion a new hotel by Trump Hotels, it will include up to 400 hotel rooms.

• 60,000 square feet of retail spread between two floors.

Representatives from the Developer, GNB real estate, a subsidiary of Goliath National Bank, declined to comment.

MUew97UQ.jpg

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

BREAKING: Move over Bank of America Center, New York developer just released plans to build Charlotte's new tallest building!
A developer is planning to remake a prominent site on Stonewall with a new project preliminarily named Big Sky Charlotte, which will include a mix of offices, shops and apartments. The Tower, which was filed with the City’s planning department yesterday, is listed at 1001 feet, and would become the first building in the Southeast to cross the 1000 foot mark. Preliminary plans show an 82 floor building, made up with the following:

• 40 floors of Office in 800,000 sq feet

• 20 floors of Residential, with approxiamately 150 super upscale residences

• 20 floors of Hotel, currently named as a Scion a new hotel by Trump Hotels, it will include up to 400 hotel rooms.

• 60,000 square feet of retail spread between two floors.

Representatives from the Developer, GNB real estate, a subsidiary of Goliath National Bank, declined to comment.

MUew97UQ.jpg

I always enjoy reading your very informative  inputs. They have been very useful and helpful to me. Today, I first saw this and was thrilled. I then thought, "sometimes people post things that aren't exactly confirmed" and needless excitement occurs. I am very disappointed that you would play such a dirty trick on dedicated followers of this message board. I hope that you will find it in your heart to apologize to others and realize that this posting is also total BS. Happy April Fool's Day!!  

Edited by caterpillar2