Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

23 minutes ago, edmundblackadder1999 said:

With all of the parking lots in Charlotte, it sucks that they're building on green space.

That greenspace looks good on the surface but it's rarely used by anyone but vagrants. THAAAAT said as a general principle I agree with you. 

I will start a new topic once I get a bit more info and my b on the floor count!!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jwntim said:

That didnt sound right to me so I just checked and the orlando grand bohemian is 17 floors on 0.64 acres. http://www.ocpafl.org/Searches/ParcelSearch.aspx/PID/292226593600022

Edit: Marriott says 15 floors http://www.marriott.com/hotels/fact-sheet/travel/mcoak-grand-bohemian-hotel-orlando-autograph-collection/

If you count them its like 12 floors, but what the hell is in the blank space? windowless conference space?

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 3.17.59 PM.png

What is the status of the old Builders Bldg I think that was its name in this photo. The rest of the block is owned by 1st Presbyterian Church correct? They could build a garage for the church and development to share and put up some high rises here for sure. Anyone know about this block. Builders Bldg could be a great boutique hotel rest of the block large mixed use project but better suited for more residential I would think since office development tends to be up and down Tryon. 

DSCN1238.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

What is the status of the old Builders Bldg I think that was its name in this photo. The rest of the block is owned by 1st Presbyterian Church correct? They could build a garage for the church and development to share and put up some high rises here for sure. Anyone know about this block. Builders Bldg could be a great boutique hotel rest of the block large mixed use project but better suited for more residential I would think since office development tends to be up and down Tryon. 

DSCN1238.JPG

Builders Building is crumbling and trying to retrofit it for a hotel would be prohibitively expensive.  That block was the original site the developer for The VUE wanted to buy.  They through buckets of money plus promises of parking, etc to the church but were turned down.  My understanding is the church is seriously discussing what to do with that site.

• Like 1

Nice, Shame they could not build on the surface parking lot behind instead though. Maybe that'll go soon too.

FYI the project description I read points toward an Italianate style building with a rooftop deck.

"Approximately 220,000 sq ft of new construction consisting of a new 254-key full service hotel comprised of 4 public levels, 2 parking levels and 9 guest room levels.  The project is located at the corner of West Trade Street and North Church Street in Charlotte, North Carolina. Vehicular street connection will occur at the porte cochere located along the North Church Street frontage. The bistro and the gallery will project towards the street engaging the sidewalk along Church street, while the hotel bar and restaurant engages the West Trade Street frontage. There is a rooftop restaurant and sky lounge with detached campanile holding the corner .  Function spaces include a range of meeting rooms and a sub dividable grand ballroom. A spa and fitness center includes a reception area, changing area, and treatment rooms.  The primary kitchen is located on the ground floor adjacent to the restaurant and bar.  The kitchen is back served from a back of house corridor connected to the service elevator.  Parking is located on levels 2 and 3 with a vehicular entrance provided via the porte cochere on the ground level.  The parking deck will be 100% valet parked."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

FYI the project description I read points toward an Italianate style building with a rooftop deck.

"Approximately 220,000 sq ft of new construction consisting of a new 254-key full service hotel comprised of 4 public levels, 2 parking levels and 9 guest room levels.  The project is located at the corner of West Trade Street and North Church Street in Charlotte, North Carolina. Vehicular street connection will occur at the porte cochere located along the North Church Street frontage. The bistro and the gallery will project towards the street engaging the sidewalk along Church street, while the hotel bar and restaurant engages the West Trade Street frontage. There is a rooftop restaurant and sky lounge with detached campanile holding the corner .  Function spaces include a range of meeting rooms and a sub dividable grand ballroom. A spa and fitness center includes a reception area, changing area, and treatment rooms.  The primary kitchen is located on the ground floor adjacent to the restaurant and bar.  The kitchen is back served from a back of house corridor connected to the service elevator.  Parking is located on levels 2 and 3 with a vehicular entrance provided via the porte cochere on the ground level.  The parking deck will be 100% valet parked."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome to have a new style of building downtown. When does construction start?

I hate to be the parking Nazi here, since I commute by car myself, but in a decade I think people will look back and realize that Uptown has way to much parking. It's like every development needs their own on site parking. Since the parking will be 100% valet service anyway, why wouldn't they look into renting some space in a neighboring deck, like at the Carillion building or one of those ugly freestanding decks across the street on the back side? People want to complain about traffic, but when you make it easy for people to park right on the site their going to (think underground parking at Epicenter, or the BofA deck for Belk Theater) you create a lot of concentrated traffic in one area. Panther's game days are their own thing, but when the Hornets are playing or there's a big name concert I shouldn't see hundreds of empty spaces in those decks in the third ward. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nakers2 said:

I hate to be the parking Nazi here, since I commute by car myself, but in a decade I think people will look back and realize that Uptown has way to much parking. It's like every development needs their own on site parking. Since the parking will be 100% valet service anyway, why wouldn't they look into renting some space in a neighboring deck, like at the Carillion building or one of those ugly freestanding decks across the street on the back side? People want to complain about traffic, but when you make it easy for people to park right on the site their going to (think underground parking at Epicenter, or the BofA deck for Belk Theater) you create a lot of concentrated traffic in one area. Panther's game days are their own thing, but when the Hornets are playing or there's a big name concert I shouldn't see hundreds of empty spaces in those decks in the third ward. 

Charlotte should have a zone charge like there is in London. Anyone that driveing within I-277 (I believe that is the highway that goes around uptown) will have to pay a $10 a day charge. That would encourage more people to commute by rail. Oh yea, there is no rail going north. Maybe in a few decades?