Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Admittedly I had to look up what Brevard Court is - I've always called that building Latta Arcade, was very confused. I guess Latta is the enclosed area, and Brevard is the exterior area.

I've also heard the area called "Courtyard", so who knows. Either way, it's one of the few places in uptown that feels like it has a soul. Anyone have any idea how old the row of buildings is?

I strolled thru there one Saturday afternoon with my kids hoping to find something to eat. The inside part was closed, as was Subway which is outside.

Last night I had dinner with my wife downtown at Emzy. Good sushi, was very satisfied. We strolled around a bit when I remembered Amelie's has a spot downtown. Walk over to find that it is open from 9-5. I couldn't believe it. We left and drove home.

I strolled thru there one Saturday afternoon with my kids hoping to find something to eat. The inside part was closed, as was Subway which is outside.

Last night I had dinner with my wife downtown at Emzy. Good sushi, was very satisfied. We strolled around a bit when I remembered Amelie's has a spot downtown. Walk over to find that it is open from 9-5. I couldn't believe it. We left and drove home.

Yeah that Amelie's is just there to capitalize on the 9-5 crowd.

The reality is there simply aren't enough people living uptown to sustain the number of restaurants and bars that are in uptown.

I go to Hasaki (in the Ally building) sometimes and wonder why they even bother being open in the evening. There are never more than 2-3 people in there. The Vue coming online and the future construction of the 21 floor apartment tower in 3rd ward should help a bit, but there is still a long way to go.

If they are serving the 9-5 crowd, it seems bizarre to have literal 9-5 hours. I mean, you close shop right at 5 as people are leaving work and are out on the street?

It seems like they could do a lot more business just by extending 1 hour on either side, 8-6.

I work in Midtown Manhattan, and you wouldn't BELIEVE how many places around my office close at 5pm for the day. 24 hour city my ass.

The reality is there simply aren't enough people living uptown to sustain the number of restaurants and bars that are in uptown.

I go to Hasaki (in the Ally building) sometimes and wonder why they even bother being open in the evening. There are never more than 2-3 people in there. The Vue coming online and the future construction of the 21 floor apartment tower in 3rd ward should help a bit, but there is still a long way to go.

I live in Southend and order takeout from Hasaki all the time. Tasty stuff! Usually when I go in there around 7 or so to pick it up, it's moderately busy. Maybe their takeout business is better than the dine-in business at night, with all the folks at Catalyst. Same goes for American Roadside Burgers.

Amelies Uptown, Open Monday-Friday 7:00am-6:00pm & Saturday-Sunday 10:00am-5:00pm

Glad Tozmervo mentioned the actual hours as while on M-F they are the business crowd, they are open on Weekends which is not just the 9-5 crowd. I can tell you that I have stopped in there twice on weekends and it is usually got a number of tables inside and out occupied.

It's not a large space but it does add to the growing sense of downtown developing into more than just the M-F business park.

I live in Southend and order takeout from Hasaki all the time. Tasty stuff! Usually when I go in there around 7 or so to pick it up, it's moderately busy. Maybe their takeout business is better than the dine-in business at night, with all the folks at Catalyst. Same goes for American Roadside Burgers.

I think ARB is closed at night on weekdays. I've never walked past it on weekends, so I'm not sure about those days.

The Mecklenburg Times email blast reports that Proffitt-Dixion has one of the reclaimed I-77 parcels under contract and will build apartments there. Since I am not a subscriber I cann't see specifics of the story (including which of the parcels they have under contract) -- sorry.

This is a pretty big lot with frontage on 4th Ward park so I could see this eventually being converted into apartments or condos, particularly if they can negotiate spaces in the adjacent parking garage. It is also one block away from Harris Teeter and two from CVS, making this a really attractive lot. It's not great for the people who used it, but what an opportunity.

Stick product (5 over 2), would only get you to +/-140 units, which makes the site a likely candidate for high-rise, especially given the site dimensions. You could build an efficient deck with units wrapping the outside along 7th & Poplar and then a tower fronting 6th. Views in all directions would remain unobstructed given what is already existing.

To my knowledge, the only other lots in this immediate area that could be redeveloped are on Graham, so a high rise would have unobstructed views of Uptown. I like the low rises and neighborhoods in the area, but since the Vue has already introduced height into the area another highrise would really enhance the skyline.