Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

I really think the city needs to push for another epicentre like development somewhere downtown. The lack of retail in downtown is sad. I think another 150-300k retail center would really help to offer more retail in center city. I still think the city needs to use the uptown tax rate to retrofit old buildings/parking decks to include retail bays.

A perfect example would be the parking deck by the Ritz on trade. I was there last night and the foot traffic around the base to support retail is there. The city needs to use funds raised from the center city tax system to retrofit the buildings. Wasn't it Mayor Foxx that just recently said we need to push for uptown retail??

To add to what has been said, I think the intent behind Mayor Foxx's statement is that there needs to be more street-fronting retail. The EpiCentre has added a lot of energy into uptown, but from a retail perspective it hasn't done very much. By adding a major destination for pedestrians, it is starting to encourage more redevelopment and reuse of existing buildings. Examples include the Founders Hall renovation and the The Charlotte Plaza building's renovation to incorporate two restaurant spaces is a great example of what uptown needs. We have so many parking decks and skyscrapers but too few of them have good retail spaces on the sidewalk.

No I'd rather have street retail. I just think this city is in a weird spot it destroyed almost every old building, leaving very few cheap rent spots. I think the second "epicenter," would be a knock off Denver Pavillions. Whereas epicenter is night clubs/bars this would focus on retail. Over the years the pavillions has landed a Forever 21, bath & body works, banana republic, etc. This isn't exactly sexy retail but it's started to gain steam over the years. Most recently a H&M this year. It's also spurred some organic growth around it. Seattle too has multiple shopping centers downtown. While not ideal it can give a boost to at the minimum putting our downtown on the map as a potential viable location, currently it is not. As mentioned above the surrounding blocks around the epicenter have started to be retrofitted. I think another lifestyle center whatever you want to call it could put some positive traction on downtown retail. Currently it is mostly bars/suishi/steakhouses that are viable. I view the potential center as another shot in the arm towards viable downtown retail.

On another note they need to rip the roof off founders hall or something to make people realize it exists!!! Not very inviting from the street, it has so much potential.

Rant over

I think the second "epicenter," would be a knock off Denver Pavillions. Whereas epicenter is night clubs/bars this would focus on retail. Over the years the pavillions has landed a Forever 21, bath & body works, banana republic, etc. This isn't exactly sexy retail but it's started to gain steam over the years.

I dunno about it not being sexy. Bath & Body Works is owned by Victoria's Secrets, and that is fairly sexy retail. ;)

The fact is, the epicenter helps create pedestrian traction in uptown. More people attracted by more stuff. And if I'm a prospective business owner, looking to put in retail on the street, the first thing I want to see is people walking around.

Uptown has made leaps and bounds in this aspect in the last couple years, thanks to things like the epicenter and the light rail. Another "epicenter" would be great. More crap for people to do = more people = more chances businesses will be willing to take a risk.

If going for a "second Epicentre," build it where you don't tear down any old storefronts, but rather, ideally where you replace surface parking lots.

The block immediately southwest of the Charlotte Transit Center has always seemed like a prime location to me. It's just one block off College Street, on the Blue Line, and on Brevard. If only it weren't owned by the railroad. Perhaps the hotel tax and/or a TIF could entice a sale, as well as a private partner.

Edited by southslider

I've always thought the 300 south tryon spot would work well. Maybe have hotel/apartments mixed in. The park and Latta arcade would really help the site. I think you'd have a really nice retail cluster with Latta and the 300 south tryon site next to each other. That is of course if Spectrum ever does anything with that prime site?

While the epicenter is undeniably successful from a consumer perspective I am not sure that Ghazi would view it the same way, If another developer is out there and could make the numbers work then I think 'another epicenter' _might_ be good for uptown.

While the NS RR site that Southsider mentions would be very good, another possibility (from fantasy land) would be to rip the roof off the CTC and build the second epicenter above the bus bays. That would certainly densify an underutilized (but heavily trafficed) site.

I suspect that an increased flow of heavy drinking patrons between epicenter 1 and 2 across the blue line tracks would be sub-optimal.

North Carolina DOT engages Hines for Gateway Station project

Hines, the international real estate firm, announced that it has been selected by the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT) as master developer for the Gateway Station complex in the heart of Charlotte's Uptown District.

The Gateway Station project will be a multi-modal transit center that anchors transit-oriented and mixed-use development on approximately 20 acres of land in uptown Charlotte. The project will serve as a landmark for the city and central hub for Amtrak, Greyhound bus service, CATS bus and streetcar service, regional commuter rail and Mecklenburg County's greenway system, as well as aid in the redevelopment of the surrounding area.

As master developer, Hines will work with a variety of stakeholders in order to begin the process of creating a master development plan for the area, which is expected to generate numerous opportunities for planners, engineers, architects, contractors, and other developers to become part of the project as it moves through planning, design and implementation. The multi-modal station's current estimated project cost of approximately $200 million could generate more than $1 billion in private investment. The project's timeframe will be determined as part of the master development plan.

The complex will build upon the existing commercial, residential, cultural and educational institutions with the promise of strengthening the area to become one of Charlotte's most attractive commercial, entertainment, retail and residential destinations. This vibrant area could serve as a bridge to reconnect and reenergize some of the city's most diverse and historically significant communities and resources.

Additionally, the site is adjacent to many of the city's major corporate, cultural and educational institutions and is anchored by Johnson and Wales University and Bank of America Stadium. The area enjoys linkage to the Uptown District, and is also linked to the neighborhoods of the Third and Fourth Wards.

http://home.nestor.minsk.by/build/news/2012/11/1502.html

I think we should just focus on Trade Street becoming the stroll district. Let that roll around in your head a little bit. Streetcar will be rolling up and down Trade and once Gateway is complete, Gateway Village and uptown will be much better connected. Trade street will be home to the bobcats arena, the epicentre, Gateway Station, CTC, #1 Lynx Blue Line stop, J&W university, Northeastern University, Bank of America Corp. Founders hall, etc.

Gateway should be the main strategy in creating a stroll district down Trade

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

^ I agree with this. I always envisioned trade street as a "stroll" district including decent retail. An infill between Johnson and wales up to trade street of low and mid rise developments would be awesome. Gateway hopefully will be that plug at the midway between the two and be a catalyst for development along it. Also, there are still a couple old buildings that could be saved and used for retail.

The block immediately southwest of the Charlotte Transit Center has always seemed like a prime location to me. It's just one block off College Street, on the Blue Line, and on Brevard. If only it weren't owned by the railroad. Perhaps the hotel tax and/or a TIF could entice a sale, as well as a private partner.

I agree that this block has the most potential and would be the ideal spot if there were to ever be a Department store downtown such as Belk. It's also a really good site for another large hotel.

I think at some point, the city really needs to consider a public/private redevelopment of the CTC. I'm imagining a brick warehouse style structure with the bus bays on the ground floor, but 10-12 floors of office space above. As it is today, the CTC acts more of an impediment to development than a catalyst. Activating it with office above and retail around the perimeter and screening it in an attractive manner would really change that area.

With a frequent, north-south LRT, and maybe someday a frequent, east-west BRT (think Sprinter), do we really still need a CTC? In other words, restructure the bus system into one where transfers are largely made along these two frequent-service corridors outside of Uptown.

Then the CTC wouldn't need to be fully replaced by one large, central transit center, but rather, multiple, smaller yet attractive, transfer centers. Perhaps, the sale of CTC to a major, new, mixed-use development would even pay for extending Streetcar to Gateway, or the multiple, smaller transit centers.

Edited by southslider

I take what is in the Center City presentation with a huge grain of salt as it is more of a wish list than anything.

I also think that there is a more recent (more recent than the release of the 2020 report) buzz to move the CTC altogether. If I remember correctly there was even a comment from Hugh McColl about that just prior to the DNC.

Of course it is a wish list, but it tends to be a rallying point for city leaders for knowing where and what kinds of investments to pursue. The 2010 plan shaped downtown a lot, with better urban parks, an education quad (UNCC, Imaginon, Wake Forest MBA, Charlotte School of Law are all in the same vicinity in 1st Ward), and many others. More ideas from both the 2020 and 2010 plans are still good and should be pursued, even if during execution, some details end up different than expected (like location of the AAA baseball stadium).

This is awesome news. I know it is just really to add storefront access to Just Fresh, but it seems that it would also likely add al fresco dining for Just Fresh, 5 Church, and just a generally more attractive and inviting path from Tryon to Church. I walk this path very very often on my way uptown from 4th Ward (through the park, cemetery and then across 5th to Tryon), so having it be a welcoming street that I do not have to stop to let people pass by me around the gas meters, etc, will be a very nice thing.

I hope they unbrick what used to be the originally side entrance into the Ivey's building to help their other tenants as well and help make 5th a retail street that can help support Roxbury's, Dandelion, Nix, Basil, 5Church, and the others. The more they grow and survive, the better the city will slowly add more street retail and streetlife.

This is awesome news. I know it is just really to add storefront access to Just Fresh, but it seems that it would also likely add al fresco dining for Just Fresh, 5 Church, and just a generally more attractive and inviting path from Tryon to Church. I walk this path very very often on my way uptown from 4th Ward (through the park, cemetery and then across 5th to Tryon), so having it be a welcoming street that I do not have to stop to let people pass by me around the gas meters, etc, will be a very nice thing.

I hope they unbrick what used to be the originally side entrance into the Ivey's building to help their other tenants as well and help make 5th a retail street that can help support Roxbury's, Dandelion, Nix, Basil, 5Church, and the others. The more they grow and survive, the better the city will slowly add more street retail and streetlife.

Nix is no more, btw. Went out of business :-(

Oh... well, I guess that's a shame, although I honestly never went there because I'm not much for burgers. Hopefully Roxbury (80s bar) succeeds next to Dandelion and that something decent goes in for Nix location.

I do hope they curve the road a little bit so that the Dandelion/Roxbury sidewalk can be a little wider too, but since I think it is being funded by the new Ivey's retail floor owner, I doubt it will address the sidewalk on the other side of the street. That may have been in the works when Latorre owned the retail on both sides of the street, and since I guess there will be some city reimbursement, maybe it will address that.

This old article mentions that it would be $250k, and would be reimbursed from property taxes by the city. Given how much better 5th Street looks now between College and the rail line with the brick walkway and street trees, I know this will be a boost in the aesthetics of the area.

http://www.dolanmedia.com/view.cfm?recID=514576http://www.dolanmedia.com/view.cfm?recID=514576

Noooooooo! I loved that place!

Yea, Ditto. I heard on RestaurantTraffic. Apparently they went down to only lunch a few months ago, which is never a good sign in DT Charlotte. I'm pretty sure the 5th St. Redevelopment would have REALLY benefitted them too.

Edited by Guest