Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

I'm a bit of a burger snob and blacklisted Nix some time ago for what I observed as declining quality each time I went. Really liked the place initially though. We have more burger spots now (and more on the way I hear), and I do feel this was the weakest in the pack.

I loved it when I used to go there (I haven't lived in charlotte in nearly 5 years). What would you say the best Burger Place is in Charlotte now-a-days?

My palate has advanced a lot since then so I don't know what I would have thought recently. If you are a Burger Snob and you really love burgers and are in NYC go to the brunch at Stecchino in Hells Kitchen and get the "Butcher Block" Its ground cured wildboar sausage, black truffles and pork sholder, on a buttery brioche, amazing.

^ That butcher block burger sounds amazing. Big Daddy's is still my favorite around here, I know thats a boring/obvious answer. Valhalla has a pork/beef burger with an egg that is up there for me too. My absolute favorite burger spots to date are all in Atlanta. I hope in the coming 5-10 years we get to enjoy the kind of chef-driven fast-casual renaissance that they've had.

sorry to get so off topic

Finally? Wouldn't you like to see something of age in Charlotte? Do we have to tear down everything?

I would like to see the Polk building torn down as well. Not because I don't want to see older buildings in Charlotte, but because that one in particular has been rotting away and I don't think it can be saved. Maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by Urbanity

^ Yes....Grubb Properties bought that empty lot and is planning an apartment and office tower. My guess is they are in the design phase of the apartment tower. Office tower would need to be majority pre-leased.

I didn't this project listed on Kermit's trusty development map. Is there a reference/rendering to this somewhere?

I would like to see the Polk building torn down as well. Not because I don't want to see older buildings in Charlotte, but because that one in particular has been rotting away and I don't think it can be saved. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sure, the fascia keeps falling down, but I bet its bones are strong. It's pretty historical as well, even housing WBT radio in the 20's. We renovated Cedar Hill and found it to be so darn strong (11" thick poured concrete floors) that it could be used as a bomb shelter. Does it have wooden floors or something? Same year ours was built.

• Like 1

My main problem with the Polk building is all the horrid looking 80s-era renovations to the back side of the building... the main entrance, elevator shafts, etc. They totally destroy the pre-war look of it... and they're in cheap stucco to add insult to injury. There is nothing more hideous than large stucco buildings, especially large CHEAP stucco buildings.

My main problem with the Polk building is all the horrid looking 80s-era renovations to the back side of the building... the main entrance, elevator shafts, etc. They totally destroy the pre-war look of it... and they're in cheap stucco to add insult to injury. There is nothing more hideous than large stucco buildings, especially large CHEAP stucco buildings.

Stucco can be ripped down. There're a ton of buildings just like this in Portland that have had the exterior redone in the original.

The 80s renovation even covered GRANITE with painted stucco (WTF), and the brick could easily be taken off and reapplied. The building is strong, as it originally was a auto dealership with a car elevator and sturdy floors. I really hope someone takes an interest in it. It is not the most amazing of historic structures, but it is still a decent 1920s buildings of substantial size and ought to be considered an asset and then built around with near zero-lot line development to hide the ugly 'modernizations' in the back.

I agree I would prefer to see it saved. My only gripe is the narrow sidewalks around the building. It is losing lots of bricks (guessing water penetration caused the facade to separate) but maybe it would qualify for historic tax credits that could help renovate it.

On the same note, the 3rd Street connector and 3rd between Graham and Mint will be closing permanently on December 10 for the Knights stadium. 4th Street from the connector to Mint Street will then be two-way.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/Transportation/ClosingsandEvents/Pages/Street%20Closings.aspx

Edited by tozmervo